Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Best Buy - October 4th, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $24.99

Labyrinth: 30th Annversary Edition (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/7/16

"Alter Bridge - The Last Hero" with exclusive lenticular cover and bonus track $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 4th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

It's the Halloween season once again. Welcome to week one of Limited Edition Horror 2016! We kick it off with the dead who walk with a three part entry - George A. Romero's "Land Of The Dead"...

The motion picture opened on June 24th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $15,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 20 million during its U.S. theatrical run. When including foreign receipts, it made more than two times the domestic gross. The film opened number fifth at the box office, the following week it dropped to number ten.

The feature opened against "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith", "Batman Begins", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with a single insert, an advertisement. Side one was for Look For These Thrilling Movies!; "White Noise: Widescreen", "Van Helsing", "Dawn Of The Dead: Unrated Director's Cut", "Seed Of Chucky: Unrated And Fully Extended", "Shaun Of The Dead" and "The Bone Collector: Widescreen". The other side was for Universal monster, The Legacy Collection - first pressing; "Frankenstein", "The Wolfman", "Dracula", "Creature From The Black Lagoon", "The Mummy" and "The Invisible Man". Each include all the films in that particular franchise with special features. Quite sway.

I own the better 2014 re-releases; the originals (2004) were double side discs in a digipak. The re-releases have more extras including the bonuses from the three later "Anniversary Edition" in 2006 as well as corresponding "Abbott & Costello" features. These are presented as single sided with more discs in a standard case and textured slipcovers.

A side note, "Land Of The Dead" came in two editions, R which was full screen only. And the "Unrated Director's Cut" which I own and will be talking about.

- - -

The first exclusive was from Circuit City, a twenty-six page mini comic which was packed on the back the slipcase. This streeted on October 18th, 2005 and sold for $17.99.

It retold the opening, up to the downtown zombie cage fight. It was part one of five, a bigger official comic book adaptation. Released by IDW Publishing; written by Chris Ryall with art by Gabriel Rodriguez.

My comic is under the slipcase.

The other was from Wal-Mart and I use the word 'exclusive' loosely.

They had a two disc set - not like that. They had another title side packed with "Land", "Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation". It sucked. Out of curiosity, picked that up separately, a year later during one of their $3.99 DVD sales - a waste.

"Killer Compilation" is exactly its name. A collection of clips from horror movies, just clips. Not a documentary, just scenes from a bunch different movies; best-of-moments. What the hell was the point???

The WM price? Sorry. [shrugs] I didn't bother buying that arrangement and have no data in my archive.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

On Wednesday, April 27th, 2005, the teaser for the long awaited sequel to "Day Of The Dead" (1985) appeared online. Two days later it was altered. I was fortunate enough to download it the day it became available.

Official reason for the change is to prevent confusion over the images...

In 2004 Universal Studios released the Zack Snyder remake of "Dawn Of The Dead", a previous Past Tense (Part I and Part II). "Dawn" being the second film (1978) in the then George A. Romero Dead trilogy. Universal released "Land Of The Dead" for 2005. Not a sequel to their remake. Which could've been confusing to non-Romero fans, that's what they claimed.

But...

The first version showed footage from Romero's original "Dawn" and "Day". The later teaser purged those visuals in favor for ALL clips from the original "Night Of The Living Dead" (1968). Let's backtrack, sort out the confusion.

1968 saw the release of the film that changed the horror genre, "Night Of The Living Dead". Ten years later the first sequel was released, "Dawn Of The Dead". In '85 the next installment came out, "Day Of The Dead". "Night" was remade in 1990 by Tom Savini, a reboot. 2004 brought the remake of "Dawn", a stand alone film, not connected to the previous movies. The third sequel, "Land Of The Dead" came out in 2005. '05 also brought a stand alone remake of "Day", a low-budget feature, also not connected to the previous films. Understand?

It is believed (myself included) changes were made over copyright; Universal didn't have the rights to show those clips and inserted footage from "Night" since it's in public domain.

Original Teaser:

They're coming to get you Barbra...
    Footage from "Night" as a horde of ghouls slowly approach the farm house. Text - "In The Beginning One Man Made Us Fear The Night".

The unburied dead are coming back to life, seeking human victims.
    A clip of the now dead Karen Cooper (Kyra Schon) coming after her mother. Clip of Barbra (Judith O'Dea) running out of the farm house into the headlights of Ben's truck. Text - "Then Night Became Dawn". Footage from "Dawn", Francine (Gaylen Ross), Stephen (David Emge) and Roger (Scott H. Reiniger) on the roof of the Monroeville Mall looking down. Clip of the zombies moving about the parking lot.

The people it kills, get up and kill...
    Third clip, ghouls moving inside the mall. A quick snippet of the famous zombie elevator rush scene. Forth clip with one of the biker raiders with tommy gun surrounded by ghouls. Text - "And Dawn Became Day". Footage from "Day", the platform descending into the underground facility.

They have overrun us you know, we're in the minority now. This is a war...
    Two clips of the zombies in Florida, ghouls walking around. Final clip, Sarah's nightmare - dead hands coming at her through the wall. The end of opening.

- - -

Revised Teaser:

They're coming to get you Barbra...
    Footage from "Night" as a horde of ghouls slowly approach the farm house. Text - "In The Beginning One Man Made Us Fear The Night".

The unburied dead are coming back to life, seeking human victims.
    A clip of Ben (Duane Jones) looking at the ghouls right before entering the farm house. Snippet of zombies rushing forward. Clip of Barbra running out of the farm house into the headlights of Ben's truck. Text - "Then Night Became Dawn". A clip of the now dead Karen Cooper coming after her mother.

We don't know how many of them there are. Do you think we will be able to defeat these things? We don't really know...
    Clip of the now dead Johnny (Russell Streiner) grabbing Barbra though the boarded door. Clip of the ghouls entering the farm house. Text - "And Dawn Became Day". Clip of the ghouls attacking Ben. The end of revised opening.

When I say end of opening, I mean the teaser then went into footage from "Land". The revised teaser lost most of the energy that the original had, not to mention the huge sense of continuity. Too bad they had to change it.

Before you ask - no; neither teasers or trailer is included on disc. *sigh*

By the way, the teaser - first version was attached to "XxX 2: State Of The Union" (opened at theaters on April 29th, 2005).

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Land of the Dead is set in a devastated world. There's no electricity except for places inside the city where people are trying to live normal lives. That is their error... it goes back to the idea of ignoring terrorism and other societal problems outside your own door. They think, 'If we ignore it, we’ll be okay.' They’re forming small civilizations on their own, turning their backs, really, on the problems outside. That’s at the core of what the movie is about. The protagonists are the ones that have to go out into the dark side of the world to bring back food, supplies.
    - George A. Romero, director/screenwriter

Lets address the use of CGI in the film - computer generated blood.

As mentioned earlier, Romero had a budget of $15,000,000 (sadly this is the most money he has ever been given to make a movie). For the remake of "Dawn", Snyder had $28,000,000 to play with.

Above, George directing with actor John Leguizamo in the background.

If Romero wanted big moments he needed to trim some effects. Such as using squibs; the fake blood shots for bullets, they take time to set up and if they go wrong, you need to redress the actor(s) and do over. Money wasted as well as time. This is the new reality - fake blood gun shots. I accept it. Man, so many people were upset over digital squibs.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-22-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part II

This is a quote from effects supervisor, Greg Nicotero from KNB FX (the same company that does the ghoul effects for AMC's series, "The Walking Dead").

George came up with a brilliant idea that I thought was just amazing. We shot zombie elements on green of just zombies walking past the camera. So, instead of having to trim an effect right down to the bare minimum he could, if need be, stick a zombie cross right in front of the camera digitally so that the zombie would obscure the effect just enough to make it less offensive. I thought that was a brilliant idea because then for the unrated cut you just remove that element and you got the big gag in all its glory.
    C'mon, animatronic puppets and real people in make-up were used for the effects. The limited CGI is a non-issue.

Another quote from Nicotero:

We're doing a lot of puppet heads; we're doing a lot of mechanical zombies. We're planning on doing a lot of stuff involving rig removal, where there will be guys puppeteering full body zombies, and we'll erase the puppeteers out of the shot so that you don't have to have digital zombies. You'll have a live zombie there, operated by guys - similar to the way that it was done in Army Of Darkness, except that was prior to the rig removal concept.
    Another issue; Kaufman's suitcase - full of cash, he took with him towards the finale. Why was money still being used? This bugged the hell out of me - no like that; folks NOT connecting the dots.

The tower was one of many safe zones humanity retook and fortified - society continues in inside. The basic need to buy, you need some kind of currency. It's not that unbelievable when you think about it.

The paramount complaints rests on one character, Big Daddy (Eugene Clark), the zombie. Many were upset with this suppose break in 'Dead' continuity because Big Daddy developed higher thinking/reasoning. Look, he is still an idiot, but King Idiot. The move is not in conflict with the franchise.

The first film had a ghoul (cemetery) using a rock as a tool to break the car's driver side window to get at Barbra. In "Day", Dr. Logan (Richard Liberty) was training Bub (Sherman Howard) to use objects and be docile. In "Dawn" there was that zombie who was far more interested in Flyboy's rifle than the living people behind the glass doors of JC Penny - in fact he carries that gun for the rest of the film.

Not so far out - given enough time, I do believe he would figure out how to shoot; won't have much aim, but he would be able to fire... just like Bub.

What is not realized is that the world belongs to the Dead. It is at best, a few hundred thousand living people on the planet, no more than that. And those are behind reinforced defenses.

What happens to the dead when there is no one to devour (very slow to decay)? They just linger about, then what? They're left to their own devices, fragments of memory to pass the time, as I wrote - no prey to hunt. They are left with bits of recognition (just as Bud gave that unrequested salute to Rhodes [Joseph Pilato]).

Look it it this way. We've all had times where we've tried to remember the name of a song or movie, can't quite recall. Frack it, I have other things to do and move on. But these things don't - nothing is going on; for days, weeks or even months. That tiny thought will linger and linger until the right synapse fires, a connection made.

It makes total sense that after X amount of time alone they start act on those memories. They're still imbecile versions of who they were, no changing that. But now they're more deadlier - using simple tools (and not that well).

Why is that an issue? As I wrote, Big Daddy is still a meat-head, a dog is probably smarter then he. But he's now more dangerous with that few additional digits of IQ.

By the end of the film they were no longer interested in the fireworks that had been used to distract them. The undead recaptured a bit of their selves. And that should be a scary. It's easier to think of them as mindless masses, not something that could open a closed door trying to get to your tasty warm flesh.

Something I didn't realize until researching; Eugene Clark was in the The CW series, "The L.A. Complex" (2012) as Walter Dougan. The complete series is on DVD.

- - -

The original script ended atop Fiddler's Green, the ghouls mobbing into the building. The remaining living board a helicopter (like the fall of Saigon), somehow the pilot is bitten and/or shot at, the helicopter crashes into a nearby building.

A bleak ending, which was like the conceived ending for "Dawn Of The Dead" ('78). Okay sure, in that unfilmed(?) version (still under dispute); Peter (Ken Foree) didn't make it out (suicide), leaving Francine completely alone. She decide to opt out and stands up on the moving helicopter blades, decapitating herself. The dead surround her and consume. The end credits roll, the final moment is shown, the motor sputter and stop. The chopper couldn't have gotten far anyway, low fuel.

Why not?

A bit more from the unproduced screenplay. It was Riley (Simon Baker) who was trying to buy his way into Fiddler's Green instead of Cholo (Leguizamo). Riley was secretly dating Kaufman's daughter. Cholo once again steals Dead Reckoning, threatening to destroy the sanctuary unless his terms are met. Kaufman (Dennis Hopper) makes a deal with Riley allowing him to move into the tower if he stops Cholo and crew. As with the movie, Riley and his friend Charlie (Robert Joy) are given soldiers for support, but it is unclear if they can be trusted.

The whole idea for Fiddler's Green has been gestating since the mid '90s.

A bit of the concept was talked about on the commentary for the 1996 special edition Laser Disc box set, "Dawn Of The Dead: Special CAV Collector's Edition - Director's Cut" (from Elite Entertainment; the Director's Cut is actually the Extended version of the film, a.k.a. "Cannes Film Festival" cut).

It was a three disc CAV set; streeted December 24th for $99.95.

We have holed ourselves in safety, life continued as usual, the dead were now a nuisance than a real threat. It was our complacency that was our undoing.

By the way, that LD commentary (Romero, Christine Romero, Tom Savini and Buster [Romero family dog]) is exclusive to that dead format.

It's too bad that "Land Of The Dead" didn't do well enough. Romero and crew were planning a new trilogy based on this installment. It never happened, instead he decided to reboot the whole situation with "Diary Of The Dead" (2007).

Should be noted that in November of 2005 it was report that due to strong sale in Europe and Japan, a sequel had been green lit. It focused on the surviving characters, Slack (Asia Argento) included - inside "Dead Reckoning".

It ended with our heroes on their way to Canada after the massacre at Fiddler's Green.

Don't know if a treatment of that adventure was written.

- - -

I do like the design of Dead Reckoning (which by the way was the film's original title). I like the fact that it didn't look brand new. It was assembled with various found pieces. A functional, real world based armored, offensive transport. This puppy is the tank I want, should I find myself in a undead world.

Do have complaints. We're lacking an important program from the special features; "Dream Of The Dead: George Romero" an IFC half hour, behind-the-scenes special that aired on June 15th, 2005 (was suppose to have aired June 12th, but didn't). It has yet to be released on any home video format. The documentary was by Roy Frumkes. For Romero fans the name is known. YES.

Frumkes was a teacher at School Of Visual Arts in New York in the 1970s. In 1977 - he wanted to make something for his students to see - the inner working of shooting a movie. Two possiblities that were to his liking, complex filming; Earl Owensby's "Wolfman" (1979) or George A. Romero's "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978). He chose Romero. This became known as "Document Of The Dead" shown exclusively to his students for quite some time until released on VHS in 1988.

Got a grant for filming, seven grand and shot on set - interviews; cast, director and effects master, Tom Savini plus just watching them filming various scenes at the mall when it raided by the biker gang. This was at a time when this did not happen, he made fanboys jaws drop. Unknown at the time, he recorded the making of an iconic horror classic. So here we were in 2005 and he went back to Romero to witness him filming the fourth installment of his franchise decades later. WERE IS IT?! The half hour doc should've been a given.

Second, I wish the film was longer. The theatrical cut clocks at ninety-three minutes, four minutes longer on Unrated. I wish this was two hours long. The extra time not so much about ghouls attacking, but life at the tower and the lives of the people on the streets below, that would be fascinating. The deleted scenes do cover some of the ground level life, but it's brief.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - So Hungry Part III

Think about this - there is a whole generation there who have never known a world without the dead coming back to life.

I missed it the first time, the creators of "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004); writers Simon Pegg (left, star in the U.K. flick) and Edgar Wright have a cameo as zombies in the downtown bazaar attraction, 'have your photo taken with the dead'.

I had heard of about they're cameos, but could not figure out where they were, then the moment became so obvious.

Was never good at finding Waldo anyway.

A bit more...

Romero's daughter, Tina has a bit part - the soldier that shoots down the ghoul who walked into the electrified fence. Sway.

- - -

"Land" got banned in the Ukraine by the Culture Ministry in 2005.

Why?

In the 1930's the nation went through hard times, a tremendous famine, millions died - cannibalism happened. You can pretty much guess why it's banned.

- - -

The film got a single, one night re-release, the director's cut - shown in thirty-six theaters nationwide on October 17th, 2005, the day before it's home video release. Shown at Regal Cinemas, Edwards Theaters and United Artists Theaters.

The event had a taped interview with Romero (recorded on September 15th, 2005 in Toronto, Canada), "Conversation With Director George Romero".

I remember wanting to go see it, but none of those theaters were near me.

Was presented by Fangoria Entertainment. Man, finding that poster image was a pain in the ass.

That interview isn't on DVD. Above is from a tiny and short video from the interview; 00:00:43 clip. Internet mojo was good that night.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

I'm showcasing five Halloween suggestions for three weeks, since my last post (week four) will hit four days before Halloween - would be pointless; you should already have an idea of what to watch that night.

Most can be found in your local video rental shops. A very few can be found in stores. The best bets is to find them online, cheaply, through Ebay or from Amazon's resellers marketplace where you can purchase used/new DVDs. Or even at pawn shops.

Granted, some can be found on Netflix and such streaming services.

"Attack The Block" (2011)
    Lambeth, South London. A group of teens living in an impoverish neighborhood, create their own kind of entertainment; theft and vandalism. Their lives are changed drastically when an object falls from the sky, impacting a car. What the gang finds is a nocturnal creature, deadly and the first of many to descend from the stars; the invasion begins tonight. The teens take refuge in their twenty-five story rundown apartment. All their skills and audacity come to play as they become unlikely heroes. A horror comedy. A film worthy to be spoken in the same breath as "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004).
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2011 - R

"The Bay" (2012)
    A mockumentary. On July 4th, 2009 an epidemic occurred at Claridge on Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. Hundreds died, there was a cover-up. This chronicle is made up of various found footage (camcorders, cell phones, web cams and security video), digital evidence edited together by a local novice television reporter who was there when it happened. In short this is parasite feature, but reality based. The organisms in question are REAL, shown here as mutated from pollution (steroids among others). Much of what happens occurs off camera, just audio off a stationary video. Things start off slow and rush towards a bloody and creepy conclusion. This is an ecological horror movie. You’ll think twice about drinking tap water. Some hate this movie, others love it (I did), can't say where you'll sit.
    Lionsgate - 2013 - R

"The Crawling Eye" (1958; black & white)
    The mysterious deaths of two climbers (missing their heads, frozen below ambient temperature) brings a United Nations science investigator, Alan Brooks to Trollenberg, Switzerland. He visits the local research station, an observatory and meets Professor Crevett. The dead men and a strange radioactive cloud atop a nearby mountain might be related. Soon Trollenberg becomes covered in dense fog, there is something within; slithering, hungry, deadly and not of this Earth. A last stand is made at the observatory, humanity’s final hope. This movie appears to be the inspiration for the Stephen King novella, “The Mist”. This DVD is called the Widescreen European Edition.
    Image Entertainment - 2001 - NR

"Knights Of Badassdom" (2013)
    The crushing loss of his girlfriend (she dumped him) has Joe in the slumps. It is his two best friends; Eric and Hung who decide to save him by kidnapping the brokenhearted. Joe wakes up at a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) event, "The Battle Of Evermore". Joe himself, a former gamer is not in the mood for this nonsense. But goes along with it since his buds have put so much effort to cheer him up. What was suppose to be a fun weekend turn into a genuine odyssey. A real demon, a succubus was accidentally conjure by idiots who bought a grimoire online - thinking that it was a prop book. The unholy entity is murdering unsuspecting gamers. Realizing what's going on, Joe and his friends must save the day, be more than pretend heroes. A horror comedy. CGI was used to enhanced the effects, but for the most part this was old school visuals, man-in-suit.
    Entertainment One Film - 2014 - R

"Wes Craven’s Invitation To Hell" (1984)
    Made for ABC TV movie (aired May 24th, 1984). A scientist and his family move to a gated community, "Warm Springs"; they are invited to join the local health spa. The father is a government contractor, working on a proposed mission to Venus. His department is responsible for the space suits. Very fine membership print; sign up, you surrender your soul. He never joined, but his wife and kids did. In order to save his family he dons his suit and enter Hell itself through a portal at the spa. Not the greatest of movies, but the concept alone is reason to watch, deserves to be remade proper.
    Artisan Home Entertainment - 2003 - NR

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Sexy costumes for the ladies.

Thought Chucky and Scissorhands were clever genre icons to transform sexy. A nice touch having "Good Guy" printed on the overall, that was Chucky's doll toy line.

Just so you know, there's a porno called "Edward Penishands" (1991) from Video Team, Sikki Nixx as the title star. It spewed out two sequels; all three came out in the same year. Featured such lovely ladies as Bianca Trump, Madison, Angela Summers and Jeanna Fine to name a few. Was going to post the DVD cover (originally on VHS and LD), there's no nudity, but opted to play it safe.

Poor Edward did not have one for each finger. No, he didn't have hands period, just a single penile digit per wrist. That's so sad, not even opposable thumbs. *shakes head*

- - -

So? Who's that pretty dead girl?

Don't give me that look.

Above left pix; far left is director George A. Romero (glasses) with special effects maestro Greg Nicotero (blue shirt), pointing to her contacts.

Can not recall if she appears in the feature. The red head was in studio in full make-up for Romero and film makers to examine the effects for the feature.

It's possible she's not in the film.

She could be one of the staff at his workshop.

I would like to see her, minus make-up. *nods*

As mentioned last PT, this month you're getting one new Past Tense each week. Next week (October 13th, 2016) our dark delicacies is an American remake of a foreign flick.

One last bit...

Once again Asia as Slack. Argento is daughter of Dario Argento, renown Italian horror filmmaker. The guy directly responsible for "Dawn" ('78) getting made.

He paid George to write the script and flew him from Pittsburgh, PA to Rome, Italy with free lodging for him and Christine. Dario also co-finance the movie for the European release rights with his own edits; renamed "Zombi" with new music added by Goblin. The rest is history. Romero used existing library music (from DeWolfe) for his film, did not have the budget for an orchestra.

Before you ask... Yes, that's Asia's real tattoo - goes all the way to her crotch. I'm not into tats. Porn star, Teagan Presley got transformed into a biker chick with all her tattoos. Damn shame. That and breast implants, she didn't need them. Guy loved her because she was natural - was.

Okay more more.

"Land" was released on VHS on the same date, it sold for $29.98. People were still buying cassettes back in 2005. This was the R rated version - presented in full screen.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-01-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 11th, 2016

Ice Age: Collision Course
    Exclusive bonus disc (DVD); BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    free select Smart Food popcorn with DVD or BD purchase (must be on the same receipt)

Ghostbusters (2016)
    Exclusive bonus disc; BD only $19.99
    free M&M (3.5 oz) or Starburst (8 oz) gummies - DVD or BD (must be on the same receipt)

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/14/16

"Kidz Bop 33" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 11th, 2016

Ice Age: Collision Course
    Exclusive Trick Or Treat bag; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    (don't know if its on pack or separate)

WWE: Brock Lesnar - Eat. Sleep. Conquer. Repeat.
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $27.99

Ghostbusters (2016)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Alter Bridge - The Last Hero" with exclusive lenticular cover and bonus track $11.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Q Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on August 2nd, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Week two of Limited Edition Horror 2016 accidentally gets exposed to infectious bodily fluids in a "Quarantine"...

The remake of "[Rec]" (2007) opened on October 10th, 2008. It was made with a budget of $12,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 31 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "Eagle Eye", "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and "Appaloosa".

This DVD release did not come with a slipcover nor any insert.

- - -

There was a single exclusive and it was from Wal-Mart, a bonus disc in its own case (side packed with the movie). This set streeted on February 17, 2009 and sold for $22.99. The bonus disc has a run time of 19:21 minutes, a lone featurette.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

In Japan it's known as "Rec: The Quarantine".

For me, it was a solid/decent horror movie - NOT as bad as some would lead you to believe.

I think they're just sore that this got made with more money and received more popularity. Bitter. The same goes for Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza, the directors of the original movie. They hate it as well. It stole their thunder.

A point I do agree with is the terrible ads; the trailer and TV spots gave it away - a major plot point, reporter Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter) falters.

Hell, even the film's poster gives the finale away - same image used for the home video release. It's like the promotional department just stopped giving a crap. A prime example is "Terminator Salvation" (2009), the major plot point that dives the movie is revealed in the trailer. The VERY same thing happened to "Terminator Genisys" (2015). Frack me.

Why are you guys sabotaging your own movie? Not a rhetorical question.

One of the aspects I rather enjoyed was how there was no score - no music. The thing plays out like you're watching live footage. Only two times have I ran into that; the films, "Network" (1976) and "The China Syndrome" (1979) both have no scores. It's quite a rarity.

The staging of scenes as a continuous shot, feels genuine. Everyone needs to be on their A-game. These are long shoots between four to six minutes per take. Anybody who screws up or forgets their lines brings the whole moment back to zero. That's a lot of pressure to get it right the first time.

It's a stage play on camera. Sway.

Another part I liked was the single camera. The actors don't know when the thing will be pointed at them. So much of their performance isn't for us the viewer(s), but for the other actors to work off from.

Do appreciate the kind of commitment.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Have yet to see the original movie, "[Rec]" (2007).

I need to get that DVD. It's on my to buy list. So I can't give much of a comparison. But...

One of the issues some had with "[Rec]" is that our heroine (at the end) reads a document which has all the exposition on it. The whys and hows. No mystery left. The remake offers the info in distorted bits (the reel to reel tape deck that's broken) and images on the wall, an unnerving presentation.

The infection here is biological, a virus which was accidentally released by a terrorist in his apartment complex.

In the Spanish film, it was possession; research on the nature of demonic possession got loose - like a virus. Which is original, well not that new.

The biological infection of malevolence was explored in "The Creeping Flesh" (1973).

The year is 1893, Professor Emmanual Hildern (Peter Cushing) has returned to England with a discovery, bones of an unknown creature found in New Guinea. It is from these bones that he discovers that 'evil' is a blood disease. And set off to cure it.

Long story short, bad stuff happens on his quest for a vaccine. And he accidentally resurrects the Fallen One and now the beast is loose on Earth.

The movie still holds up; more of a fantasy than sci-fi, rooted in horror though. I have the DVD, the American release (2004) is bare bones. That same year, the United Kingdom got the feature with extras: a twenty-four page booklet, commentary by Cushing with film historian Marcus Hearn, film gallery and the movie's trailer. Plus other Hammer trailers.

The commentary is a recording Cushing made before his death in 1994, talking about his long career and this movie. His comments are spliced in Hearn's lecture.

Man, it's too bad this hasn't been re-released as a better DVD. I would re-buy it. The R1 (above left) release has three trailers (from Columbia TriStar home videos), but none for the movie and not even a chapter listing insert.

For some it's sacrilege to even say.

I HATE watching foreign movies with English subtitles.

If it's part of a film, a few scenes, sure. But a whole feature? No. I'll pass. I prefer dubbed, but correctly dubbed. None of this Godzilla kind of translation where the spoken words don't remotely match their lips.

That was one of the gripes of fan of the original film had, this remake was unnecessary - purists. But it is, folks don't want to read subtitles.

The best dub I've ever seen was for the Japanese film, "Azumi" - instead of doing a direct translation word for word, they took the spirit of the script. Replacing words with others which mean the same thing; having it match the beat of the person's mouth. This did not take away from the story.

I remember watching it the first time and being confused, 'I'm on the dubbed track, but she's speaking English'. I appreciate that kind of dedication to make the dialog fluid. I believe, I would've enjoyed "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2000) much more if that kind of adaptation was employed. Their mismatched spoken words pulled me out of the experience (saw on opening night).

Look, there's a second part to subtitles, cultural differences and it can be very drastic, like viewing an alien world. I know there are some who are enthralled by that - others repelled. I'm in the latter camp.

I'm going to use the same nation again, Japan. Yes, I know the original film ("[REC]") was Spanish. I listened to the original audio for "Azumi", holy crap, it hurts. Why do the women there need to be so high pitched? The same could be said for when I watched the original anime, "RoboTech" (1985). The authentic Lisa Hayes made me cringe.

It happened once more when I went looking for the original Korean film for the American remake "My Sassy Gal" (2008). God, I HATED the woman!!! The Korean guy was such a Butters for handing his heart to her, mega bitch. Probably a cultural difference at play, but I'm gland I didn't buy it.

People who watch movies, the base line folks, want to enjoy the production and should not have to do homework on why a person is behaving in such a particular way. Not mention national lifestyles.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Q Part II

It is too much to expect from (majority) American audiences. That kind of entertainment is niche, that's why it's called a foreign film, not a world film. Why bring this up?

"[Rec]" isn't dubbed, it's in Spanish with English subtitles.

I'll make an exception here. But really, I prefer dubbed. So I am disappointed.

- - -

Another woe is with the main star, Jennifer Carpenter (rookie reporter, Angela Vidal) was too known as Debra Morgan from the Showtime series, "Dexter". That the remake has several recognized actors who took them out of the move. That is a poor excuse.

If the story and acting is solid, it shouldn't matter.

Another recurring question by purists; was it necessary to remake "[REC]"? 'The original was so good why mess with it?'

America doesn't export much.

We are consumers, good and bad kind. But what we lack in actual sending off physical goods, we make up - in stories. One of the best lines out there is from the film "Grand Canyon" (1991) where Steve Martin's character says, "all of life's riddles are answered in the movies". Pretty much. We are story tellers. And we have played out nearly all available variants. Things are a bit redundant and the need for more - leads to places outside America.

Remakes to foreign features are mixed. The idea is sound, but too much emphasis is focused on profit than actual artistic equilibrium or improvements. *shrugs* Anyhow, the world looks to us, then imitates. Porn is a great example. I'm not joking.

The adult production outside the U.S. is... interesting. Guys and gals who get paid to have sex on camera, that shouldn't. While this isn't an absolute, there is something very different with American XXX. The ladies here resemble super models.

The quest for beauty and that primal drive. We were the ones who elevated our gals from mere whores to celebrity. Just look at the videos from the early 1980s and now. The world took notice and replicated. Back on topic...

I saw the original, "Ringu" (1998) with subtitles. I found it boring and hokey. The only good part was the end when Shizuko (Masako) came out of the television, that was creepy and disturbing. The remake (2002) is superior in my opinion. But as I wrote, these remakes are a mixed bag. I consider "Quarantine", one of the betters.

The original movie was good in the context of that language (Spanish) and mindset. But that kind of entertainment is simply a nitche, mainstream audiences will NOT watch that as is. And trying to shame them; man, that comes off as being pretentious.

So an American remake was in order for American audiences. Big deal? The only thing that should have merit is - was it good?

Yes it was.

Topic ends, at least it should.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

For some reason the goal got missed (story wise). The guy in the attic was doing experiments with rats (mutated rabies) to unleash a doomsday virus. He was part of an eco-terrorist group. The idea of releasing a plague to reduce the world population isn't a new one.

The former UPN series, "The Burning Zone" (1996) had the same thing and that organization was well funded, "The Dawn". Followers of Thomas Robert Malthus, a real person (19th century) who wrote about keeping the population at a manageable/sustainable number - not to outgrow available resources.

If you want something conspiratorial...

Search "Agenda 21".

- - -

Did you know there was a sequel to the remake?

Released on August 2nd, 2011, a direct to video, "Quarantine 2: Terminal" ($26.99); took place during the events of the first film, a different location...

The airport baggage terminal in Las Vegas.

A plane coming from Los Angles is diverted when one of the passengers goes hyper violent. As it turns out one of the surviving commuters is an eco-terrorist, who had just came from the doomed apartment with a sample.

He and attic man were part of the same cell.

It wasn't suppose to happen this way, a mistake. Now the passengers and flight crew are trapped inside (the CDC has put the spot on lock-down, like the apartment) with the infected stalking them and a madman trying to keep his deadly secret.

The sequel was made for $4,000,000 (estimated), but does not look cheap. The real locations gave it production value. It's a traditional motion picture, ditching the video camera POV, until the ending. But that was done as night vision - not found footage, part of the narrative. It ended with a slightly upbeat ending.

It receive a limited theatrical release, few screens. I liked it. If you enjoyed the remake, you'll probably like this too.

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

More titles to consider this Halloween season.

"The Call Of The Cthulhu" (2005)
    A low budget adaptation of the famous Lovecraft story. A silent film made in ‘05. Filmmakers had limited money so they opted to do it as if it were made when published, 1926 - silent cinema. What they lacked in greenbacks they made up with creativity. A dying professor leaves his relative (great-nephew) various notes and documents about a violent cult. Curious he studies the man's journal, an action he later regrets. Just like the professor he too becomes obsessed in finding the truth. A millennia old secret, that should never see the light of day.
    HPLHS, Inc. - 2007 - NR

"Deep Rising" (1998)
    A group of the mercenaries board the luxury liner Argonautica on her maiden voyage from Singapore. Their motive is to loot the vessel; the group is surprised to find an vacant boat. As they search for missing passengers and crew they find a massive beast responsible. Now the gunmen and their hired help must find a way off the liner before it descends into the South China Sea and escape the clutches of a leviathan. From the director of "The Mummy" (1999) remake. The Kino release is remastered with bonus features. The original 1998 release was bare bones.
    Kino Lorber, Inc. - 2018 - R

Nightmare At Noon (1988)
    Also known as "Death Street USA". Before "28 Days Later" (2002) and after "The Crazies" (1973), there was this. A Hollywood lawyer and his wife are on a vacation from tinsel town in a newly bought RV. They find hitchhiker along the way and give him a ride, a fortunate act for them. Their vehicle breaks down in a desert town; Canyonland, Utah. The isolated locale has been chosen to become the testing grounds for a government bio-weapon. The town's aqueduct is infected with a compound that causes aggressive, homicidal urges. Soon the number of uninfected are widdled away to just a handful. Only luck and tenacity can get them through the massacre. This is an unintentional comedy than horror with weak acting, poor effects and cheesy dialog. Ripe to become a Halloween drinking game.
    Simitar Entertainment, Inc. - 1999 - R

"The Pyramid" (2014)
    A group of archaeologists discover a three sided pyramid hidden beneath the sands in Egypt. But are forced to leave because of the growing, violent turmoil in Giza. They evac, but before everything is packed, they send in a robot to take some video from inside. The million dollar drone is lost. They opt to go inside to retrieve and get stuck. And become prey to something within as well as an ancient thing trapped inside that those others are keeping prisoner.
    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - 2015 - R

"Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" (2010)
    For Dale and Tucker, a pair of rednecks in West Virginia, a misunderstanding with a group of college kids on holiday goes from annoying to murderous. All they wanted to do was to fix their beat-up vacation cabin - instead they got a blood bath. It begins with Dale saving one of the girls who dived head first into the lake, hitting her skull on a rock. He pulls Allison, unconscious onto their boat. "We got your friend!" they yell out to the students. The notice is taken as a threat and kidnapping. What follows is a series of failed rescues, each one more violent then the last. Allison is shocked by her classmate’s actions. She is in safe and caring hands, recuperating. Things escalate to ridicules proportions as the body count rises. A horror comedy.
    Magnolia Home Entertainment - 2011 - R

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Hot ladies dressing sexy for Halloween, it's a law.

Sexy Zombie Nurse and Sexy Wednesday Addams. Man, I hope her panties aren't bloody too (damn you, Mischa Barton). The costume could change with one addition, those plastic vampire teeth (glow in the dark ones, optional) - BOOM.

Now a bloody vampire nurse when you pull down the mask.

As for Ms. Addams... she looks like a goth version of Britney Spears from her 1999 music video "...Baby One More Time". *nods*

Nice cleavage on her.

I do recommend if you haven't, "The Creeping Flesh". Good period horror flick.

Next week (October 20th, 2016) we get sunk into a remake of a Vincent Price horror classic - not just for lady business.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 18th, 2016

Independance Day: Resurgence
    Exclusive 48 page book; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99
    Free select Smartfood 5.5 to 10.5 oz popcorn; offer to BD combo only

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 10/21/16

"Bon Jovi - This House Is Not For Sale" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $14.99

Credits
    Best Buy - October 18th, 2016

Independance Day: Resurgence
    * Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Alter Bridge - The Last Hero" with exclusive lenticular cover and bonus track $14.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 06-22-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Not Just For Bikini Areas Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on October 9th, 2014 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

Continuing with 2016's "Limited Edition Horror" we have a remake to a timeless horror classic. This week we outrun hot viscous fluid and those who wield it as death in the "House Of Wax"...

The motion picture opened on May 6th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $30,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $32 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $68,766,121. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "XXX: State Of The Union", "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", "Kingdom Of Heaven" and "Crash".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. No insert or ads were issued.

- - -

There was a single store exclusive from Wal-Mart, a bonus movie - "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" (1933), the original that spawned the remake... well second remake (more on that in a few).

This set streeted on October 25th, 2005; side-packed with the remake. Sorry, did not buy this, nor currently own. The '33 flick was presented bare bones - no menu screen, it plays on loading, though has some chapters. Call this a novelty release.

I'm at a loss to tell you how much it sold for. A good guess would be $19.96; I'm judging the price by the two disc exclusive Wal-Mart had for "The Island", a previous Past Tense; that came out two months later on December 13th, 2005.

The bonus movie has a run time of 77 minutes and is a 2-strip Technicolor (muted colors) motion picture.

Bodies are mysteriously disappearing all over town, and a new wax museum has just appeared. Is there a connection? But of course! In this horror classic, Fay Wray (King Kong) stars as the intended victim of a mad wax sculptor obsessed by her resemblance to one of his prior creations.
    - DVD back cover

Bought my widescreen copy at Wal-Mart and saw that exclusive. I still remember. I thought about it, decided to pass. While this is an exclusive, it's redundant - the '33 feature was given an individual release. But if you own the DVD for the 1953 remake (which I do), you don't need it.

Yeah. If I were to run into this bonus, a yard sale or swap meet and it was going for a couple bucks... sure I would pick it up. But as a novelty.

Did some searching; Circuit City sold the film (widescreen shown) on release week for $14.99.

I'll make it quick...

Released in August 5th, 2003 in a cardboard snapper case (man, I hate those - too easily damaged) was "House Of Wax", the horror classic starring Vincent Price for $24.98. This was a flipper disc, Side A has the (first) remake. Side B has "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum". In fact, the stand-alone DVD simply ported the content of Side B - it has zero extras, just the movie.

The '53 movie was re-released in a standard case on November 3rd, 2009 (same disc inside). I need to get that, replace my cardboard copy. I'll get into the Price version in little while, but now I'm cover the 2005 rendition.

The DVD (Wax '05) came in two versions, full screen and wide. As I can recall, the exclusive was available for both editions. But I could be wrong, this was eleven years ago.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I can't stop my tears, I've never been so scared.
    - The Birthday Massacre

Man, a lot of people moan about Paris Hilton being in the film. I get the hate, but seriously why is this an issue? Or a negative? Her character Paige Edwards is killed early on. It should be a cathartic. Plus Paris has a bit part - just cannon fodder. This shouldn't be judged solely by her presence.

As for the rest, I thought it was good. There's a scene involving a foot that made me cringe. I brought my copy and watched it at a friend's house; we both winced. I've actually thought about that before.

It has just the right balance of gore and tension. And good pacing, but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, it's a Robert Zemeckis film, he was a producer.

I suppose the other reason for the hate are from Vincent Price loyalists.

It embraces the concepts of the original and went their own path. Different and familiar (too bad "A Nightmare On Elm Street" [2010] remake didn't follow a similar trail). Now, if this was a full remake of the '53 feature trying to be hip and pandering to a demographic. Yes. I would be upset too. I'm glad director Jaume Collet-Serra went with an original take, not a rehash. People should be grateful, could've been far worse.

And besides there was a pseudo remake, it was called "Waxwork" (1988) - do seek it out. A cool underrated horror flick starring Zach Galligan; the lead in the classic, "Gremlins" (1984).

These folks need to relax and enjoy. Filmmakers didn't take their beloved movie and turned it into torture porn. Part of the problem I guess is that it looks very gritty. The same color canvas that "Saw" (2004) utilizes. It's not very visually friendly. It's a dirty, run down and almost smells... as it should.

- - -

The film pretty much rests on the shoulders of Elisha Cuthbert as Carly Jones. She made a great 'survival girl'. Cuthbert is a capable actress and her character didn't fall into too many cliché. Carly wasn't some air head who needed saving. I liked that. She's in equal footing with her on-screen brother, Nick (Chad Michael Murray). She DID play Kimberly Bauer on "Twenty-four". Shooo, you cougar.

The year earlier she did "The Girl Next Door" (2004), which could've been a poor man's "American Pie" (1999), it wasn't - had heart and humor. This too is a previous Past Tense (Part I and Part II).

Released after "...Wax" was "The Quiet" (2005), a dark drama about incest. Elisha was a cheerleader, daddy's special girl. Check that out too; co-stars Camilla Belle, very easy on the eyes too.

"House Of Wax" is known for a disaster, a rather big one. There was a fire, an accident; special effect equipment and a falling candle caused a blaze that burnt down a studio, Warner Bros Movie World in Australia's Gold Coast. The feature was filmed Down Under. Which is fascinating considering how the film ends. A crew member was injured, burns to his arm.

This could've ended all too different. It happened on June 26th, 2004. Smoke from the inferno reached the highway nearby. But wasn't so bad that it didn't need to be shut down.

- - -

Changing gears. Lets talk about the Vincent Price classic.

It's a solid horror flick that mostly holds up today. There is that part in the middle where it lags, but not much. The other downside is the totally blatant - in your face 3D. The paddle man at the museum's opening comes to mind. The '03 DVD is a 2D presentation with some minimum extras.

Trying to remember; I vaguely recall, a local Los Angeles television stations (KTLA) airing a special, week long 3D movie festival at 8pm in the mid-1980s (they did a similar thing for Humphrey Bogart). "House Of Wax" I believe was one of those features. I probably saw it in 3D at the time, glasses from 7-11 or such.

But I don't remember it.

The 1953 film was remastered and released on 3D Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray combo on October 1st, 2013 for $35.99 (region free). There so far isn't any plans to release this on DVD, I'm disappointed.

Not the 3D; talking about the extras on the newer title.

The original DVD (identical to the 2009 re-release) had a spoonful of bonuses even including the extra movie. The 2013 BD has a running commentary by film historians Constantine Nasr and David Del Valle. They talk about the film and Valle's friendship with Mr. Price. It also has a 48 minute documentary, "House Of Wax: Unlike Anything You've Seen Before!"; interviews with today's filmmakers on it's lasting influence. This doc is not in 3D.

The rest of the extras on the BD are carried over from the DVD; footage from the '53 premiere (black and white, no audio), the film's trailer and the mentioned original/source film.

The Blu-Ray comes with a lenticular slipcover which mirrors the wraparound. And presents the beloved flick in full screen, the film wasn't made wide.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Not Just For Bikini Areas Part II

If there is another DVD re-release, I would love to have that commentary and documentary - all of which would fit on a disc, single side. How hard can it be? You can ditch "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" to save space. Or if you want, a two disc set with it. Either way... I WILL BUY IT. Make it happen.

What's that? It's a model kit from Jeff Yagher. He has a tribute model series. Very detailed and created with passion.

This particular installment is called "House Of Wax Encounter". Only fifty molds were fashioned; it retailed for $250.00 each. Now you may think the price is ridicules, but the level of detail here is damn impressive. This fan made kit is roughly nine inches tall. It comes in a decorative box with instructions and a certificate of authenticity.

Man, I would love to own this, but I don't have that kind of greenback to spare nor skill to assemble or paint. This - as the name implies is in various pieces, waiting to be glued together and colored. The latter take a lot adeptness to render. Look at the image, it was assembled by a professional. That melted wax looks so real.

Okay. Before you ask. Yes. Yes, I did.

I censored the picture. The girl (who is a mini Sue Allen [played by Phyllis Kirk]) is nude, shackled to the table. And quite nicely sculpted, I might add. I debated on whether I needed to. It's a model (a hobby toy), not a real person. But decided to play it safe. Sorry.

The poster has Kirk in a bra and panties, rope tied, ready to go under the wax (shown on top). In the film it's strongly implied the girl is naked.

Sure, what is "GP" (on the poster)? This was a retired movie rating, roughly means; General audiences, Parental guidance suggested.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

Did you know, there was an aborted TV series based on the 1985 horror classic "H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Animator".

To quote Jim the duck, "What the hell?"

Above is the cover image for the pitch package for "Herbert West: Re-Animator", created by Transition Entertainment in 2009. The series was adapted for the small screen by Meredith Casey and William Butler. I have zero idea who was cast for the photographs. The pitch has several images.

A bit of background on the would-be show runners.

Butler was the writer for the Sci-Fi Channel abominations, "Return Of The Living Dead: Necropolis" and it's equally awful sequel, "Return Of The Living Dead: Rave To The Grave" (both 2005). And he also wrote "Gingerdead Man 2: Passion Of The Crust" (2008) as well as its sequels; "Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver" (2011) and "Gingerdead Man Vs. Evil Bong" (2013). This should speak volumes of his talents.

It took me awhile to make the connection; Butler played Tom in the 1990 remake "Night Of The Living Dead".

Then we have Casey who to date - has done, only a single short, "Earth Day" (2001). She co-wrote and directed it.

The creative pairing feels quite random.

A teenage Victor Frankenstein for the new millennium. A dark, shy, somewhat sexy and narcissistic young man obsessed with finding the secret to life and discovering the formula that will re-animated the dead. His philosophy, "sometimes you have to cause death to lay the foundation for life" leave him often criticized and feared by his young contemporaries.

His unconventional theories about life and death make him notorious early on at Miskatonic University, yet he is respected as a brilliant young man of science. There are many layers to Herbert's complicated personality and throughout the series we will peel away those layers, discovering his mysterious past and the force that drove him to do what he does.

One by one, Herbert will eventually enlist, blackmail and coerce his fellow students into helping him, sometimes leaving them covering up for his horrible mistakes.
    - Herbert West character description

The main drive of the show is the death of eighteen year old, Laura Parker. She is killed early in the season. Laura was a beloved friend to many and become the catalyst that brings a group of different classmates together under West to bring her back. He does... she becomes Herbert's beta. She is brought back to life with disastrous results.

Parker becomes one of the show's villains. She retained her mind, but snapped after coming back; her body is slowly rotting, deteriorating. She is obsessed - who killed her? And will created waves of pain to find the answer(s).

The series takes place during their freshman year in college, a university with a dark history linked to Dean Jonathan Halsey.

The campus is finally reopened after ten years of closure. It seems years ago, a student suddenly possessed with uncontrollable rage broke out into a violent murder spree that left half the campus up in flames. Officials never found out just what filled the young man with the desire to kill so many.
    - series set up

Halsey has a dark agenda and is mixing science with the occult. He befriends West and becomes the young man's benefactor - for undisclosed sinister reasons. Herbert knows that Halsey wants to steal his research, but plays the game to have access to campus labs and resources.

There is no Dan Cain character from the feature - we have Randy Carter, Herbert's roommate. Megan Halsey (the movie) is now Megan Armitage, the school's bad girl. She is Carter's girlfriend, when she's not sleeping around. And is working with Halsey; spying on West and his frienemies for grades. Megan was expelled from her last school - Miskatonic is her last chance or be cut off from daddy's money.

There is no Dr. Hill in this re-telling.

From left to right, above - the characters: Staci Carter (15, Randy's tomboy little sister, high school student, works at the local café, "Dive"), Randy Carter (18, football player, an Arkham local), Harley Warren (17, semi-friends with Megan and secretly in love with West; yeah that model looks way older than her late teens), Herbert West (18 years old), Crawford Tillinghast (18, campus stud, troublemaker - reimagined Hill?) and Megan Armitage (18, psych student, bad girl).

Is that Laura Parker on the gurney on the pitch package? Don't know, in the character photo, Parker is an Asian girl. And yes, I see it too. Laura Parker is similar Laura Palmer from "Twin Peaks" (1990); the death of a beloved school girl that links/gather so many people together.

Here's another negative; the characters of Burke and Hare (both in their twenties); described as "The Silent Bob and Jay of the show". I wish I was joking. Both will do nearly anything for dollar. They're the ones who bring fresh specimens for Herbert.

Then there's Howie Peterson (eighteen), he's an aspiring sci-fi writer. We learn that his real last name is Lovecraft. H.P. is keeping a journal of all the strange things happening to be used for material in a future novel.

I remember when I first heard about this project, I thought it was a horrible idea.

But I'm not so sure now.

Granted, this pitch is lukewarm. But the overall idea isn't a bad one; Miskatonic University is effectively built over a Hellmouth ("Buffy" reference).

This could actually work under better hands.

Maybe.

If they can turn "Psycho" (1960) into a compelling series, "Bates Motel" (2013), I don't see why this can't happen for "Re-Animator". And having West as a college freshman is a great notion. I like that. My biggest problem is that they change too many rooted characters and axed Hill.

Anyhow, none of this came to pass. It never was produced beyond the investor's pitch; the package included a treatment for the pilot episode:

West tires out his formula on a dead monkey, it does reanimate for a short while then explodes into a pulp. Depressed he starts over from scratch. There's is more, such as a supernatural contagion on campus, but this is what you wanna know.

Here West has a reanimation injection gun (he built); it uses plasma and electricity to shock life into a body, it glows purple - it should be green. Or maybe it later becomes green had the series moved into a second or so season.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Not Just For Bikini Areas Part III

A treat...

Go to YouTube, type in "Weird Science (Re-Animated)" in search. Or if you know how, "tZPBv9fmYDQ". It's still there (as of writing), checked. Uploaded on April 3rd, 2006 by DrDaryn, still running on YouTube a decade later.

What is it?

A fan made music video, edited from the three "Re-Animator" films set to the song "Weird Science" by Oingo Boingo.

Quite sway

- - - - - - - - - -

Recommendations.

The final batch of considerations for this Halloween season.

"Burying The Ex" (2014)
    This stars the late, Anton Yelchin. Max is caught in a dead relationship with Evelyn; she's manipulative, overbearing and an obsessed environmentalist. His salvation come from the downtown bus, the driver accidentally runs her over, killing Evelyn. In his light mourning, Max connects with Olivia who runs an independent, horror themed, ice cream shop, "I-Scream" whom he recently met. Things are going well for the two, but death can't keep her down - Evelyn returns, "together forever". Max now has to hide his growing relationship with Olivia and keep Evelyn happy as she's now undead and dangerous. Things soon get out of control, the Ex has to go - back to death. A horror comedy. It also stars Alexandra Daddario and Ashley Greene. Goofy fun with gore.
    RLJ Entertainment - 2015 - R

"The Cave" (2005)
    What began as an expedition within a newly found cave in Romania has a group of divers and spelunkers being stalked by a predatory species below the earth - a secret that had been sealed by the Knights Templar in 13th century. The race is on to find an exit and outrun the inhuman menace, but it becomes apparent that, this option might not be the wisest; some secrets should stay buried. Think of it as a high tech variant of "The Descent" (2005), also recommended.
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2006 - PG-13

"The Final Girls" (2015)
    A better version of "Midnight Movie" (2008), a 2015 recommendation. Maxine Cartwright is still mourning the death of her mom, lost to a car cash, three years earlier. Now in college, Max's friends try to cheer her up by taking her to a midnight double feature screening of "Camp Bloodbath" and "Camp Bloodbath 2: Cruel Summer". Not knowing that her mom, Amanda - under a different name was a 1980s scream queen; star of those very same movies. Watching her mother on screen brings back sad memories, but Max's tears have a different source as the theater catches on fire; mixture of alcohol and a lit cigarette. The place is ablaze, nowhere to escape other than hoping to find a door on the back of the big screen. They cut into it and end up on the other side - in fiction. The group is in the horror movie, stalked by a murderous fiend. Max meet Nancy, Amanda's character - her age; a second chance? The only way out is to reach the finale, alive - one big problem, their presence has changed the movie, unknown territory. A mixed genre film. Damn good, winner of several awards.
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - 2015 - PG-13

"Grabbers" (2012)
    Police officer Lisa Nolan is on a two week assignment on the island of Erin off the coast of Ireland; village's sergeant is on holiday. It should've been a slow and quiet posting, anything but. Something has emerged from the sea; multi-tentacled creatures that feed on blood. Soon Erin becomes overridden with deadly amphibious beasts. Lisa and fellow officer Ciarán O'Shea along with marine ecologist Dr. Smith must find away to save the village. Salvation comes not from complicated science, but rather in pint of beer. The monsters can be killed with high blood alcohol content which also saves them from being eaten. The race is on to get the whole town drunk and to slay the über beast. A horror comedy. The fiends have a Lovecraftan look to them. A love letter to various horror and sci-fi films, tons of homages.
    MPI Media Group - 2013 - NR

"Mutant Chronicles" (2008)
    Based on the role-playing game of the same name. The year is 2707, Earth’s resources are nearly drained; everything is in short supply. There are no more nations, what remains is four powerful corporations (Mishima, Capitol, Bauhaus and Imperial) locked in a war for the remaining materials. This is a civilization not based on the silicon chip, but on steam power. During a bloody battle with Bauhaus, Capitol accidentally break an eons old seal, unleashing a seemingly unstoppable force. The world falls to this pestilence. Brother Samuel, a monk believes there still may be hope, but it would require a suicide mission, a collaborate effort of all the corporations: a team to descend deep inside the planet to detonate a bomb that could end the nightmare. Consider it a sci-fi remake of “The Dirty Dozen” (1967). There are two DVD versions, go with the 2 - Disc Collector’s Edition.
    Magnolia Home Entertainment - 2009 - R

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Well, looks like it was nippy out there in the woods.

*deep breath*

We've reach the end of another entry. Just so you know, I've added a new title to my compendium, check out Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective if you like.

DO come back, don't be shy. The final L.E. Horror 2016 comes next week (October 27th, 2016). I'll save a place for you in the crypt. Not to worry - they don't bite...

Much.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Credits
    Target - October 28th, 2016

CDs

"Brett Eldredge - Glow" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks $8.99

"Bon Jovi - This House Is Not For Sale" with 3 excluive bonus tracks $14.99 (available now)
    "Barbra Streiand - Encoure" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $14.99 (available now)
    "OneRepublic - Oh My My" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)
    "Norah Jones - Day Breaks" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $11.99 (available now)
    "Tory Lanez - I Told You" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99 (available now)
    "Kidz Bop 33" with 4 exclusive bonus tracks $10.99 (available now)

Credits
    Past Tense - Blood The Other Drink Part I

Limited Edition Horror 2016 concludes with a bloody bucket full of vampyre mischief in "30 Days Of Night"...

The motion picture opened on October 19th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $32,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 39 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" (3D re-issue), "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?"

This release originally came with a foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with an insert; ad for the graphic novel from which its based on and its printed sequels from IDW. The other side is an ad for various merchandise; action figures, lighter, t-shirts and hoodie from Gentle Giant Ltd.

- - -

The film streeted on February 26th, 2008; there were three exclusives.

Circuit City sold it with internet based extras (downloads); five desktops and AIM icons. I bought my copy here. Why? As you read above, this came with a slipcover. The former retail giant sold their exclusive with the slip for $17.99.

Oh yeah, the store offered a second insert; single sided sheet, the web location for the exclusive. I looked, nope, the link is dead.

FYE/Suncoast had the best of the lot; an exclusive a bonus disc (in a slim case) inside a cardboard slipcase. Cool huh?

Found out too late that afternoon, not that it would've mattered. I traveled to my nearest FYE, two towns away - only to find out it has been closed down. I hadn't been there in months. The last time I was there was for their exclusive to "Vacancy" (August 3th, 2012, Past Tense).

There was at one point a Suncoast in my local mall. But that too went out of business. I tired the next avenue, I looked online. But to add icing on this disappointment cake that exclusive WASN'T listed on their website - in store only. Just fracking great! I was bummed to say the least.

Since then I kept looking about Ebay for a good price, used. Years. I came close a few times. Once there was a seller who was selling just the exclusives - slipcase and bonus disc (with case). Perfect! No, it wasn't meant to be, I was out bidded at the last moment. It wasn't until July of 2011 that I finally got it. I paid twelve (including the three bucks for shipping). *nods*

The package was mint, very nice. The bonus disc has a run time of 24:41 minutes, but no menu screen - it just plays (a video diary on the making). This set also came with the movie which I already own (sold the extra copy). But the DVD did not come with the slipcover. I moved my copy with slip inside, fits perfectly.

When this set came out, FYE/Suncoast sold it for $21.99.

Lastly Wal-Mart had a weak exclusive for the motion picture. I apologize, do not know the price. I really tried, but both my archive and internet mojo has failed me. Lets say it was less than twenty bucks. They sold it, side packed with a hat, a skull cap. It came inside a DVD size cardboard case (same thickness). I passed on this.

By the way, this set also didn't come with the slipcover.

Do I want it now? I would like to have this exclusive (not to wear) to complete my collection. It's on my wish list, but not that high up.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Man, it had been a long while since there's been a good vampire flick.

These night crawlers were scary, not some sparkle wannabes; vamps. Plus the notion that these creatures are reality based, they don't transform into bats or fly or have capes.

It avoided many of the tropes in the genre. These guys are the stuff of nightmares, not romance novels with open chest and wavy locks.

I enjoyed Melissa George as Stella Oleson. She fit the role. She's easy on the eyes, but not too pretty where it takes you out of the movie.

I've spoken about this many times before.

And should be something that filmmakers keep in mind. Sure that actress may look hot, but within the world/tale you're telling, should she be?

Often the answer is - no.

A good example of "Whiteout" (2009), a decent flick; also based on a comic. *nods*

But lets be honest, Kate Beckinsale is way too sexy to be a U.S. Marshal, Carrie Stetko. The shower scene come to mind; the precursor moment above. *deep sigh* She is a lovely lady.

Okay, I'm talking about it.

I can not get too into "Dracula" (1979); Frank Langella as the Count. While it may very well be authentic, the women in the film are so homely. I'm not talking about having HOT girls, no - more like Ms. George. Pretty, but not so out of place; like Emily Blunt in "The Wolfman" (2010) or Heather Graham in "From Hell" (2001).

Am I being shallow, a sexist? Yeah, probably. Don't have a problem with that label. *oink* But had that happened I would've enjoyed that vampire flick more. Well that and actor Laurence Olivier (Prof. Abraham Van Helsing), he was so gravely ill making the feature and it shows. Every time he's on screen, it took me out. Man, he's dying, on death's door.

Another good example last month's entry, "Disturbia" (2007). The gal, Ashley Carlson (Sarah Roemer) is very pretty as the girl next door. She's doesn't feel out of place, nor so improbable as the would-be girlfriend/love interest. I like Megan Fox (I do), but she's done films where her presence is so unlikely.

While true, there are hot girls who have common looking boyfriends, but those are as rare as the elusive sexy fangirl. Like Alexandra Daddario in "Burying The Ex" (2014). It's a lesson I wish more movies would learn.

When I first saw "30 Days" I was drawing a blank; 'where did I see George before'? Took a little while, but it hit me - she played the murdered prostitute, May in "Dark City" (1998).

Left to right; director David Slade with actors Josh Hartnett, Mark Boone Junior and George. It may have taken years for me to get that FYE exclusive, but I do feel it was worth it.

It's a solid movie with a great cast who sell the dangerous situation they're in. And makes a great Halloween movie.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-24-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast