Thanks Thanks:  5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on November 27th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This outing we get shot by a fellow in fancy duds in "Django: Unchained"...

The motion picture opened on December 25th, 2012. It was made with a budget of $100,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $162 million during its U.S. theatrical run; counting foreign receipts it made $262,562,804. The film opened number three at the box office, the following week it rose to number two.

The feature opened against "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", "Les Miserables", "Lincoln" and "Monsters, Inc." (re-release, upscaled to 3D).

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with a single insert, instructions for the digital copy; UltraViolet, expired on June 30th, 2015.

- - -

Each of the retail giants had their own exclusive.

Best Buy had an exclusive bonus disc (DVD) along with exclusive packaging (digipak) for the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo. This streeted on April 16th, 2013 and sold for $24.99. Their bonus disc is "Django: Unchained - Around The Globe"; a run time of 40:46 minutes. No menu screen, it just plays.

It is a round table press conference with stars (Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Don Johnson, Walton Goggins and Jonah Hill) and Tarantino. Don't ask - do not know which country this took place in. The bonus disc had its own space in the package, not in an envelope.

Sorry, I do not have an image or further details; FYE/Suncoast sold the movie with an exclusive comic book, DVD ($17.99) or Blu-Ray combo ($22.99). In store only, same street. Don't know how big the comic was or if part of a larger adaptation. I CAN tell you this was only available for four days.

Target had their own bonus disc (no menu screen) and exclusive packaging as well, a steelbook for the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo, same release date.

Their bonus is "Django: Unchained - Filmmaker Panel - Comic-Con July 2012" (San Diego, CA expo), a DVD (it came in a CD envelope). The program is moderated by Anthony Breznican from Entertainment Weekly.

Guests include Foxx, Goggins, Johnson, Waltz, Washington and Tarantino.

It has a run time of 53:30 minutes and sold for $22.99.

Lastly Wal-Mart offered their own, a bonus disc (DVD), "Django: Unchained - Re-Imagining The Spaghetti Western". Available for DVD ($16.96) and Blu-Ray combo. It's Vudu (digital copy) expired on June 30th, 2015. The bonus has a run time of 23:18 minutes, once again, no menu screen, just plays. This came in a two disc case.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Disappointed, the DVD edition is missing extras - just on BD.

Exiled are the featurettes, "Reimagining The Spaghetti Western: The Horses & Stunts Of Django Unchained" (13:46 minutes) and "The Costume Designs Of Sharen Davis" (12:03 minutes). These things could've fit on the disc. I am sadden by their loss. Tarantino isn't know for home video extras. It should've been on DVD.

Don't get me wrong, very glad that each of the exclusive discs from the stores are in fact DVDs.

Bought the movie - three times over for those bonuses. All of which is housed in a four disc case; forgot what title I bought from Big Lots! to obtain the DVD case. Should be noted all of this was a blind buy. I didn't see this in the theaters, was guided by the overwhelming positive reviews.

The first time I saw was at a friends house, I brought the movie. Didn't realize how long the film was. When we started watching, it was daylight as it was coming to the conclusion, the sun was setting. The motion picture 166 minutes, but flows at a brisk pace, didn't feel long. A great sign of a good flick, doesn't drag.

Enjoyed it as did he and his girlfriend, no buyer's remorse.

This is how you do it right.

- - - - - - - - - -

Void.

I'm a fan of the three Shaft movies; "Shaft" (1971), "Shaft's Big Score!" (1972) and "Shaft In Africa" (1973). Really hated the 2000 reboot; paid to see that in the theater. *shakes head* That's not Shaft, a pale imitation. A few years back, a thought popped in my head for another sequel with a sci-fi slant.

In the Best Buy bonus disc - round table; Samuel L. Jackson blurts out from a comment by Kerry Washington...

Shaft in the old West with a little bit of Hong Kong bullet ballet thrown in.
    Yes!

John Shaft back in time. Can you dig it?

Before I continue, a pause - go a YouTube, search for the song - "Intellectualise My Blackness" by Skunk Anansie. Play while reading...

"Shaft Goes South" - rated R. Or something like that, title wise.

The 1970s; Shaft is investigating a series of diamond robberies (such as Bond in "Diamonds Are Forever" [1971]). First believing it was capered by Bumpy Jones and maybe even some of Gus Mascola former mob associates. Mascola's death left a void that got filled. His investigation takes him to cache of white Chicago investment bankers known as 'The Coffer'.

They have obtained the diamonds for a project they were secretly funding. Using the jewel's refraction in water (suspended above a layer of mercury) alongside with a mini gravity making machine (well, not so mini, the contraption is the size of a huge room - more like a centrifuge).

The optical device opens a portal through time.

The business men were doing research for a portfolio and uncovered a bit of history as well as a rogue physicist, Simon Ingholt. In 1860 a train containing ten million in gold bullion was being haul from Tennessee to Alabama. They want to loot that transport, take the spoils to the future; a test run to see if they can plunder the yesterdays.

There is a shoot out in the laboratory, Shaft is pulled in and ends up on the other side. He has to find out what going on, how to get back and stop the thieves from changing history (the gold theft was the main plan, but there is a secondary racist objective). All the while being a Black man in the Old South.

The Coffer's main weapon is their henchwoman, an Asian gal named Tsuyosa. Attractive as she is deadly; the girl has cleavage and isn't shy about it, 1970s or 1860s. Our introduction to her is a beach assassination, Tsuyosa in a skintight wet suit, emerging from the water; sunset burning out. She has zero dialog in the movie. Totally admit it, a "Kill Bill" (2003) derivative character - so what? Doesn't make it any less badass.

Shaft would romance a period white woman (aiding him), meet historical folks, have a car chase with a train (bankers brought a Jeep with them) and save the day. With that song playing as he chases the train. *wink*

John Shaft, a badass no matter what time he's in. And no, he would not meet an ancestor, that's tacky.

Dude is a pro with an Intonga (Afrikan fighting stick).

And he rides horses.

Plus he's suave with an iron. You Goddamn better believe it! Hawk and the sparrow; Shaft and Tsuyosa fight would be the climax - battling in and on the gold train. The upper hand, switching moment by moment.

How did Shaft get involved?

His friend Vic Androzzi was in the diamond district buying an anniversary gift for his wife when one of the robberies occurred. There was an exchange that left the police lieutenant in the hospital in critical condition, a gun shot to the chest. Shaft promised his wife he would find the perpetuators.

And yes at the end, back home; Vic does make it.

Who would I like to see play John Shaft? Well in 2000 without question that answer was Laurence Fishburne. *nods*

And now?

I would like to see an unknown play him, so that he wouldn't over shadow the part. It's like putting Brad Pitt in a film, that's Brad Pitt playing... X, rather than seeing the character on his own merits.

- - -

Back to "Django"; man, I'm glad it was Jamie Foxx and not Will Smith.

Smith was going to play Django, but pulled from the project over his inflated ego. The film is called Django, but Django isn't the main character. He was upset that the movie wasn't all about him. Share screen time? That's absurd!

There you go, feel full? No? Maybe next time - come back on June 8th, 2017 for a super heroine, 1970s style.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-30-2019 at 05:30 AM.