Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Target - February 21st, 2017

Hacksaw Ridge
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Alison Krauss - Windy City" exclusive deluxe edition with 2 bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 21st, 2017

Bad Santa 2
    Exclusive 4K BD release $26.99

Credits
    Target - February 28th, 2017

Doctor Strange
    Exclusive digital content; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available now

"Fifty Shades Darker - Soundtrack" exclusive deluxe edition with 3 bonus tracks $13.99

Credits
    Best Buy - February 28th, 2017

Doctor Strange
    Exclusive steelbook; 3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo $32.99
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 03-05-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Credits
    Target - March 7th, 2017

Moana
    Exclusive storybook packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $22.99

Credits
    Best Buy - March 7th, 2017

Moana
    Exclusive steelbook; 3D BD/BD/DVD/DC combo $32.99
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Franchises Collide Part I

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on August 15th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.] Sorry for the delay... I forgot to post.

"Whoever wins... We lose", probably the most honest movie tag line ever; this outing we get caught in a war of sci-fi giants in "Alien Vs. Predator"...

The motion picture opened on August 13th, 2004. It was made with a budget of $60,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 80 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number four.

The feature opened against "Spider-Man 2", "I, Robot", "The Village" and "The Bourne Supremacy".

This release originally came with a foil, embossed cardboard slipcover (with sticker) - different from the case's wraparound, as shown above. There were inserts. 1) Chapter listing sheet. 2) Mini sheet, advertising "The 47th Annual Daytona 500", the other side is ads for two disc special editions of "Predator" and its sequel. 3) An advertisement booklet; mail order certificate - save $5.00 if you purchase two select Fox DVDs or $10.00 if you purchased three - with proof of purchase tabs. The offer expired on April 30th, 2005.

The 20th Century Fox titles were "Jingle All The Way", "Predator" SE, "Independence Day" SE, "The Siege", "The Girl Next Door", "Dodge Ball", "I, Robot", "Alien Vs. Predator", "Daredevil: Director's Cut", "The Day After Tomorrow", "Man On Fire" and "24: Season Three". It also advertised, "Star Wars: Trilogy" box set, not part of the rebate.

- - -

It's back. More store exclusives to features that upset me by making piss poor choices.

Welcome to "Agitated Movie Month"...

There was a single exclusive from Best Buy (100 per store); it streeted on January 25th, 2005, sold for $15.99. The store offered a mini thirty-two page, "AVP: The Creature Effects Of ADI" preview booklet (DVD size) from DesignStudio Press.

It was pack with the DVD on the rear.

The larger publication, same title (128 pages, released on August 1st, 2004), came as two editions, hardcover or softcover $29.95/$19.95. I think I'm gonna pursue it on Ebay. I like movie design, production artwork, stuff like that. *nods*

There was a second store offer. I guess, you could call it an exclusive as it was only to Best Buy. Purchase this DVD (widescreen or full screen) and get a mail-in rebate for $7.00 with any Monster Ultra series THX cable.

The offer expired on April 1st, 2005.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

This is a full fanboy rant. You have been warned.

I saw this on opening day.

Picked up three promo cards packs at my theater (opened one, can't recall where I have it, the rest still sealed - inside the DVD case). Trading card sized, cards, advertising the movie; creature stats. Sway.

*pause*

I like the movie, in concept. It sounds like a solid story, makes good sense. Could be fun. But unfortunately it is the execution that failed.

First off, the movie is rated PG-13. All the features on both sides have been Rs, there is a damn good reason, they're violent tales; not mean for little kids (unless accompanied by an adult *smile*). Going this route puts a huge strike against it. Granted, sure - some flicks have overcome that hurl. Yes.

This isn't one of them.

Okay. If you're going to do that; PG-13, you will need good/strong characters, plural - not singular. With the exception of Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan), the rest were cannon fodder.

Who am I?

'I'm the person who's going to die next'. Red shirts.

Lots of Red Shirts.

Even the second main character, archaeologist Sebastian de Rosa (Raoul Bova) is paper thin. 'I'm here for exposition'. Okay, he serves a purpose, informing the audience. But what about the rest of the crew? Not just the folks who were recruited. I'm talking about the drill and security teams.

Practically everyone gets killed, real quick.

We don't get to know them well enough to care.

I feel sorry for actor Colin Salmon, this is the second film where he's setup to be this badass that's all flaccid. Here he plays the head of security, Maxwell Stafford for industrialist, Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen).

Man, I wish we got to know Charles better, there's a huge sci-fi history here. Nope.

Anyhow, Salmon's death is very similar to his death as "One" from the first "Resident Evil" film (2002). In RE he gets sliced by lasers. Here he gets sliced by a Predator net. As seen in "Predator 2" (1990) their nets are motorized to contain their prey. But the nets were programed for xenomorphs not humans. Squeeze. Squeeze. You get the picture. By the way, both of these films were directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, so it may be more than a coincidence.

While I did enjoyed the set up, the gathering of the team. The problem is what do they do? Very, very little.

This next part ticked me off to no end - the opening of the buried pyramid has two massive Predator statues on each side of the huge stairs; towering stone giants.

*long deep sigh*

Not one of them stopped to examine the carved effigies. Not one of them!!!

You gotta be kidding me.

Nobody was in awe of the sight; take pictures - a conversation about what they might mean. Nope.

Just get inside as quickly as they can to move the plot along. WTF? You're looking at something that could be thousands of years old. The first humans to have seen them in such time and you're acting like you just saw a common lawn gnome.

That scene pretty much encapsulates what wrong with the motion picture. This is so much like the orange scene from the dead Fox show, "Terra Nova" (2011).

In the pilot we are shown the world of 2149; the planet is thick with pollution and plagued with over population - a dying world. You must where a mask outside of the sealed apartment; the air is nearly unbreathable. We are introduced to the Shannon family. The dad brings home some food he's gotten his hands on...

One of them is an orange. But everybody threats that fruit like it's nothing special. When under those circumstances an orange is valuable as gold, rarely seen by common folks; only available to the rich/elite who have private greenhouses.

The proper way done - strawberry jam on a spoon; "Soylent Green" (1973). The old guy who tastes, enjoys then cries. Remembering when such a thing wasn't impossible to get. The moment carried weight.

They should've spent time with the orange; smelling, touching and passing it around with wonder - they may not see another in a very long time, if not ever again. And when eating, taking their time to savor. Don't eating it without giving a thought - just scarfed down to move the plot along.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-08-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Credits
    Past Tense - Franchises Collide Part II

The same thing happened on "Prometheus" (2012). This assemble of great minds on an expedition that do stupid things, contrary to whom they're suppose to be - leading to their violent deaths. *shakes head*

The other matter I have much major issue with is the breaking of canon.

I demand continuity.

You don't go breaking the rules for each movie.

Yeah, I should. If you don't know, I've done a Past Tense for the sequel, Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem, posted on February 18th, 2016.

Okay back on anger.

It's known that Predators will not kill (I didn't say won't harm) prey that isn't armed. It's a hunt. But here a Predator kills an injured, unarmed man at the base of the ice tunnel. That should not have happened. The other is time; the time it takes from a facehugger impregnation to chestbuster.

As pointed out by de Rosa, the pyramid maze changes in increment of 10, ten minutes. Easy enough, each time the wall moves ten minutes have passed. Using this as a reference point, one of Weyland's guards (spiked haired, blonde woman), Adele Rousseau (Agathe de La Boulaye; by the way, her character's first name isn't mentioned in the film) goes from host to spawn in thirty minutes. That's way too fast.

As indicated by the other Alien films, the gestation period is a few hours. Those buggers are quick, but not half an hour quick. Now an argument could be made that the Predators' sped up the incubation for the purpose of their hunt. But that important piece of information is missing, too much is being relied on conjecture. No, explain it - don't be lazy.

Speaking the aliens, the Alien Queen. WTF? Seriously.

That has got to be one of the most crappiest, ill planned finales I've seen in a LONG while. Okay, the Queen is going to be dragged down into the icy waters... then what? No, seriously, then what? That can't be the end.

As shown in "Aliens", the Queen can survive in a vacuum environment (it was falling towards the planetoid, LV-426; she'll burn up in the atmosphere).

What makes you think it can't survive some cold water? Or more to the fact that once it hits the bottom she can use her acid blood, from her multiple bleeding wounds to dissolve the chain and become free. Where she can once again lay eggs and infect our world. Like that flashback scene with the Aztecs, a gargantuan alien infestation.

Now I could be okay with it, if there was some kind of explosive device attached to the Queen as she descended. Boom! Creature dead. Nope. She's still alive - was this some kind of setup for an unproduced sequel???

After all is said and done, the Predator's mother ship crew pick up the body of their comrade, fine. But HEY, why isn't Alexa shivering, freezing? She only has on, her sweater-shirt. It's an Arctic environment, probably subzero. She should be experiencing hypothermia, though she looks fine.

Frostbite?!?

Oh, I'm sure she'll just walk it off.

Things I did like.

The above mentioned team assembly. The Weyland satellite that looks like an Alien Queen in silhouette. Charles playing with his pen, like the knife game played by the android who bares his likeness and middle name in "Aliens" (1986).

I liked Henriksen reprising his role, so to speak. And I enjoyed the design and operation of the pyramid.

There are things to smile here.

One of those smile things was the ticker billboard used to promote the movie, before its release. Remember that? That was a pretty cool idea.

Should've been a better movie; felt rushed, each scene sets up the next. No time for discovery, no time for characterization - that should've been paramount. All of this in that cinema universe - first time humanity has encountered the xenomorphs.

A huge waste of potential.

The other is no mention of the Predators' last Earth encounters. Would've been nice to have a reference to "Predator 2" (1990) and "Predator" (1987) - like the statements of Dutch (Arnold Schwarzeneggar) and Det. Harrigan (Danny Glover). This could've happen once they see the statues and sent a picture back to the base ship. Which in turn relayed the image to Weyland Industries who get pings on databases. This is not new... they've been here before and recently.

Man, it's suppose to be a mystery unwrapping.

But Anderson points out that his movie is like a video game.

Dude, that's not a good thing. Let me stress that, NOT A GOOD THING, different medium. There are only a few films where it works, not here.

I do know, that the movie was in serious trouble to meet its August 13th opening day. Less than seven days before Friday the 13th, Fox was still doing CGI rendering and editing. It resulted in the Red Carpet World Premiere which was scheduled for August 10th (Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood) to be canceled.

Oh and by the way, I have no problem with a female hero. I just wished that Alexa had more to do with her alien head gauntlet and tail spear. Since she really didn't use them (AT ALL), props she merely carried.

You set up for a moment - that doesn't happen. That and she couldn't say, because of PG-13, the famous line, "You Are One Ugly Mother Fu¢ker."

The end result is a film worse than "Alien Resurrection" (1997); at least they got their continuity together with a crew that had above water characterization, just enough to make passable.

We got screwed; "Alien Vs. Predator" should've been an easy motion picture. We know what to expect, just deliver the goods with quality - everybody would be happy. C'mon it had so much going for it... A hidden pyramid below Antarctic. Going to war with an ancient God. Being exposed to the xenomorphs for the first time. And discovering that this has been going on for thousands of years.

Like going to prom and standing next to the wall the whole time. Sure, you went, but have no memorable memories.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was a double-dip. On November 22nd, 2005, a two disc, unrated special edition was released; $26.98 - there were no exclusives for it.

It came with a foil, embossed cardboard slipcover that mirrored the wraparound. And a mini, twenty-six page, foil cover comic book. It reprints three short stories from the Dark Horse Comics, "Aliens Vs. Predator" series: "Hell-Bent", "Lefty's Revenge" and "Chained To Life And Death".

The newer DVD features eight minutes of restored footage through seamless branching, the theatrical cut is present too. If you're anal like myself, you'll want both DVDs.

Just so you know, the added footage does not make it any better. Various bloody bits and a cut subplot about 1904 whaling station under attack by Predators. It was far too short and didn't add anything to the story. You see the aftermath, a century later in the film.

Anyhow, not all the extras from the earlier release carried over.

Missing:

"The Making Of Alien Vs. Predator" featurette
    "Darkhorse AVP Comic Covers" gallery
    DVD-ROM: "First Edition AVP Comic Book"
    DVD-ROM: "AVP Background Study"
    DVD-ROM: "AVP Comic Preview"
    Inside Look: "Mr. And Mrs. Smith"

Why do I own either? There's a good movie here, lost in the clutter of poor clichés. And I'm a fan of both franchises.

- - - - - - - - - -

Easter Eggs.

There is a hidden egg - so hidden you won't find it on your own.

Change to an alternate main menu - from Predator Wrist Controller to the Sacrificial Chamber.

Insert disc -> "FBI Warning" screen -> push "1" on remote - ENTER.

To change back; repeat, but push "2" instead.

Okay, that was a rantful. The displeasure continues on March 23rd, 2017 with a film that was a total cock tease. Hurray! *angry Mel Gibson voice*
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-08-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Credits
    Target - March 14th, 2017

Star Wars: Rogue One
    Exclusive pre-order; BD 3D/BD/DVD/DC combo with bonus content and collectible lenticular packaging - free $5.00 with preorder

Passengers
    Exclusive bonus disc (Blu-Ray); BD $19.99
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 03-16-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - March 14th, 2017

Passengers
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/3D BD/BD combo $26.99

Credits
    Target - March 21st, 2017

Sing
    Exclusive plush Gunter toy (for $1.99) with purchase of BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Assassin's Creed
    Exclusive hidden dagger arm sleeve; BD/DVD/DC combo $19.99

Credits
    Best Buy - March 21st, 2017

Sing
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $25.99

Ghostbusters (1984)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $9.99

Ghostbusters II

Ghostbusters (2016)

The Da Vinci Code

Angels & Demons

Hellboy

Pineapple Express

Boyz 'N The Hood

Christine

Salt

- - - - - - - - - -

CDs available March 24th, 2017

"Steel Panther - Lower The Bar" with 2 exclusive bonus tracks and lenticular cover $11.99
    "Paul McCarthy - Flowers In The Dirt" with exclusive 7" vinyl single $18.99

Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on August 29th, 2013 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This entry, we encounter some forest people and their plight for freedom (some in tights) in "Robin Hood"...

The motion picture opened on May 14th, 2010. It was made with a budget of $200,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $105 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts, $321.6 million. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against the remakes of "A Nightmare On Elm Street", "Clash Of The Titans" along with "How To Train Your Dragon" and "Iron Man 2".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It came with two inserts, one of which I'll address now. A digital copy instructions sheet; it expired on September 30th, 2011. The other flip side is an ad for "Get Him To The Greek" Blu-Ray/Digital Copy - buy that particular version and get 1 or 3 bonus movies streamed onto your TV and smart phone.

Correction, there was another. On the slipcover there is a sticker (which I haven't peeled). A coupon for $5.00 off if you buy "Robin Hood" with "The Wolfman" or "Green Zone" - don't know the expiration, probably under it.

- - -

Welcome back to "Agitated Movie Month". I supect there will be a third month in the future.

This feature had two exclusives, but actually it's more like one. I'll cover both.

Target had the better of the two - a bonus disc. The set streeted on September 21st, 2010 and sold for $22.99. It has a run time of 31:27 minutes. This exclusive only came with the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo edition, not regular DVD.

The extra came inside a CD envelope inside the Blu-Ray case. As I've written in the past, I'm not into Blu. I did however buy this set and sold it, minus the bonus DVD on Ebay. I lost money, true, but not that much.

I did re-buy the movie once again that same day at Wal-Mart (for the DVD version), sorry, I can't recall the price. I want to say about the same as Target's price or slightly less. This had the other insert, Vudu info. With purchase from them - you may have two free HD movie rentals (a ten dollar value); expired on December 31st, 2010.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

The DVD edition is presented as a "2-Disc Unrated Director's Cut" (containing both the theatrical and unrated, through seamless branching). By the way, some time back I bought a three disc set from Big Lots! (forgot what title that was) and moved my discs into the new case. *nods* With that CD envelope inside, just because.

Missing...

The Blu-Ray has a pop-up feature called, "Director's Notebook" showing production featurettes, storyboards and galleries, plus something called "Ridleygrams" which I suspect were video podcasts. The DVD is also missing "The Art Of Nottingham", a slideshow and video footage (pre-vis/storyboard and still gallery) presentation.

I am sadden by their loss. At least I can say the bonus disc has additional featurettes for DVD.

Some of the above could've fit on the DVD version.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Let me start off by saying this movie should've been call ANYTHING other than "Robin Hood". It isn't it.

That made me upset; not because of it. But because we will never get a sequel.

People were also unhappy about too, the box office reflects that. Don't look at that number with a smile; the money it made minus production cost - does not include worldwide advertising which was ridiculously expensive, profits wasn't as predicted.

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions."

This feature tells the story of Robin Longstride (Russell Crowe) masquerading as Robert Loxley of Nottingham, an archer who would later become the man, the myth, Robin Hood. He and his friends (future merry men) were infantry soldiers for King Richard (The Lion Heart) before he died in battle with the French.

Once back in England they find things have changed badly with their acting ruler, Prince John (Oscar Isaac) who has imposed various taxes and freedom limiting new decrees.

They decide to do something about it, but soon get caught in a conspiracy (involving King Philip Of France) and must unite their lands against a massive war on their shore. The movies ends with him, just now becoming Hood. I'm not joking.

The next film would've seen him be the legend - a feature that won't get made.

Dude, you advertise a movie called "Robin Hood" that isn't about Robin Hood!!! It's his origin story. We met the character which will become so important later; "Maid" Marion Loxley (Cate Blanchett), Friar Tuck (Mark Addy - he was also good in "A Knight's Tale" [2001] - seek it out too) and the forest people.

Hell, the Sheriff of Nottingham (Matthew Macfadyen) is barely here (a bit player). Also not joking.

With any good motion picture or story in general, you need foe that is equal or greater than the hero; not just a position of power, but also personality (not over the top). I'm speaking of the quality of self-confidence, a man not to trifle with. The character of Godfrey a.k.a. Earl Marshal (Mark Strong) is such a man. *nods* Well done, Sir Scott, you have an excellent villain here. Strong and Crowe made the movie outstanding.

What I also liked was Prince John's wife, Isabella of Angoulême (Léa Seydoux ), besides the obvious. He married a French party girl. Who must step up beyond playing to actually become responsible for her new subjects - what is best for her people? It's not obedience to her King/husband; a character growth.

That was another good point, Prince John. He straddle the part of wimpy boy king and tyrant well. He was a good baddie as well.

There was an early rumor that Russell Crowe would play two characters in the feature, Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham. The idea was he was his own worst enemy - a split personality, each unaware that they're the same person.

That's actually pretty damn cool and would've made for an interesting take on legend.

*sigh*

Some have written that this film sets up Longstride as the author of the, Magna Carta; revisionist history. The document written by his father and his friends was the proto-version, burned by newly crowed, King John - believing Robin was a great threat to his sovereignty. That also made me upset.

I don't see it that way. I see him as inspiring the barons who later wrote the Great Charter.

Besides this NOT being about Robin Hood, nor should've been given that title is this a good movie?

Yes. Yes, it is. I would recommend it. I have not seen the theatrical cut, but from what I read, it was wanting.

You know, it's odd. I realize the passage of time. But I still think of actor Scott Grimes as the kid playing Brad Brown in "Critters" (1986) and "Critters II" (1988). Weird, thinking him as an adult.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

French actress Léa Seydoux is very easy on the eyes. And so huggable (among other things). The right above is quite feminine as Madelenine Swann from "Spectre" (2015); wearing a Dusty Green, Ghost Salma dress.

Curious, I did some reading - Seydoux played Charlotte LaPadite in "Inglourious Basterds" (2009); Shosannn's younger sister who was massacred along with the family (in the basement) at the start by Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz), a.k.a. the "Jew Hunter".

Indeed.

"Agitated Movie Month" has come to a close. *deep breath* Okay.

Oh yeah, I thought that was cute. Can't say where I found it online. I wander here and there. Though I'm sure it's from the United Kingdom.

Come back her on April 6th, 2017 for another trip into the land of exclusives, hint; the magical land of Orange County, CA.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-13-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Credits
    Target - March 28th, 2017

Fantastic Beasts: And Where To Find Them
    Exclusive pop-up packaging and five character cards; BD/DVD/DC combo $24.99

Credits
    Best Buy - March 28th, 2017

Fantastic Beasts: And Where To Find Them
    Exclusive steelbook; 4K BD/BD/DC combo $34.99

Fast And Furious: The Ultimate Ride Collection
    Exclusive key chain; BD only $59.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

CD available 03/24/17

"Paul McCartney - Fowers In The Dirt" with exclusive 7" vinyl single CD set $16.99

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast