Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    PART I: THE 1968 CLASSIC - F P2

By the way, when will the HBO series, "Perversions Of Science" (1997) come out on DVD? It lasted one season, ten half hour episodes. It was the "Femme Fatales" show of its day. *nod* Looked, yup on DVD, but in Japan only - released in 2001 (by Pioneer Entertainment), out of print. How about releasing another HBO show, Ralph Bakshi's "Spicy City" (1997; six, half hour episodes)? Yeah, both are cheesy, but entertaining.

Something I didn't know until looking; a second season of "Spicy City" was ordered by HBO, but only if series creator Ralph Bakshi would hire professional screenwriters. He refused, plug pulled.

Back on subject...

The ladies (Stevens and Quigley) talk about being typecast and how they turned that into their brand. Linnea talks about the make-up she had to endure in "Return Of The Living Dead" (1985) and being in a band (music video clip shown with nudity for her song "Scream Queen").

We get another clip from the effects panel with Tom Savini, Michael Burnett and Jay Holland. Conversations about "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978) and "Creepshow" (1982). How Savini had a hard time getting the make-up on Stephen King, the author turned actor was difficult. Other topics include where to learn to become an effects artist and filming "Martin" (1976).

Quick clips of two additional panels, one with Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardeille, the other with Adam West.

The only bright spots was seeing some of the stars. We get short moments with Kyra Schon, Judith O'Dea and Lori Cardille (Sarah from "Day Of The Dead" [1985]).

You do this movie and you sort of forget it. Not forget about it, but you sort of go on with your life for five years, then you come and this is - there's like a life it sort of takes on.
    - Lori Cardille

Here are a series of snaps; clockwise 1) Kyra Schon, 2) Marilyn Eastman, 3) George A. Romero and 4) Lori Cardille.

The other problem I have is with NOTLD alumni Russo. He wrote and directed this video as well as narrate it. Look, he may very well be an super nice guy. But he should at best, only produce this venture.

He talks

so slow.

I'm pulling hairs. Talk faster!!! Give the narration to someone else - anyone, give it to Marilyn Eastman.

Granted Russo does provide commentary for the NOTLD clips, but it's stuff that nearly every fan already knows.

The main spot was the reunion panel which became a Q&A session. In attendance was Romero, Karl and Marilyn Eastman, Schon, Russo, Russ Streiner and Bill Hinzman. This should've been the center piece of the release, nope - even this was too short. A brief talk about NOTLD - Duane Jones, "Monkey Shines" (1988) and "There's Always Vanilla".

How can this be such a let down? The release is a farce.

As mentioned, O'Dea was there, but she and Keith Wayne did not attend the panel. By the way, Wayne's appearance on the video is a blink and miss it moment - a few seconds. Again, not joking.

I did like Romero talking about "Monkey Shines", how the studio (Orion Pictures, his first studio picture) took the movie away from him since it didn't test well and recut the feature without his approval. The original ending severed.

We get a short clip of a scream contest; ladies give their best scream. Clips of attendees getting zombied by make-up film students.

There's a short moment, shot from a distance; famous pin-up artist, Olivia signing prints. That's something I would've liked to have seen more. An small interview would've been nice - nope.

Another semi-good part was Tom Savini giving a tour at the Monroeville Mall where "Dawn Of The Dead" was filmed, again much too short.

- - -

So who else was there?

Kane Hodder (Jason), Gunnar Hansen (Letherface), Conrad Brooks (he appeared in several Ed Wood films) and David Prowse (the guy in the Darth Vader suit). And the previous mentioned guests.

Above were some of the famous cars on display; 1960s Batmobile, Dragula and family car, both from "The Munsters" (1964).

The endeavor cost $120,000.00 (over a year to bring together); spent on securing the venues (hotel space and later a theater screening of NOTLD '68 with limo for stars), guests attendees and their transportation, displays, river boat rental and advertising. Look, I'm not bitching about the event. From what fragments they showed, it seems like a cool three day exposition. I would've like to have gone. But this presentation - the highlights are so poorly executed.

C'mon, the event was suppose to be about the 25th anniversary. But you're covering celebrities and panels which have nothing to do with the beloved horror film; show THESE in short clips. I must repeat, thirty bucks for the DVD!

Don't even bother watching this. You can spend way better time sorting out your utensil drawer, cleaning your refrigerator's condenser fan (I'm dead serious, that can be expensive when it breaks - was lucky, mine could be fixed [8/11/13]), sorting out your coin jar, cleaning under the rim of your toilet, changing the bed linens, washing your car, sort out your browser's bookmarks. All of these things are better for you and time well spent.

Just avoid the DVD and should you run into it, original VHS too.

I'll close the review with a quote...

The people who really make movies today are the teenagers in Orange County who preview a film and get to turn in cards and say what they think should happen to it. And then the studio executives respond to that. And unfortunately they don't go across the country with it, they generally with most films - unless it's a really big picture, show it right there in California. And you know, the kids in Orange County complain about the cars you have in it. You know - why did you use a Beamer, you know? And ahhh, unfortunately that's what happens to films today.
    - Romero

The sad thing is nothing has changed in the intervening two decades. And it's probably gotten worse.

So ends another entry. I want to finish with something to wash away the bad taste. So here's a behind-the-scenes pix of the gang preparing to shot the posse getting ready for their zombie hunt. You can see George Kosana as Sheriff McClelland in the center (with hat). *nods*

Come back here on July 14th, 2016 for another installment. I'm fuzzy on what, but I have a couple of ideas.

Will it be better than this?

*long pause*

Maybe?
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 10-02-2018 at 04:13 AM.