Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Just popping in with an update.

The final element set in Romero's undead universe has been delayed... once more.

The book which was suppose to come out on July 1st, 2012 from Grand Central Publishing (United Kingdom), now has an August 4th, 2020 release date; digital and hardcover.

Not gonna cover the long history - just read these past pages on it. Such a long road to publication and a lot of research for stats. Anyhow, the last notice for "The Living Dead: A New Novel" had a June 9th, '20 street - now from Tor Books.

It this holds, the book took eight years to make it to print.

Why the later date? Speculation by myself.

George A. Romero penned a good chunk of the book; part of it was published in 2017 in "Night Of The Living Dead" anthology. But the finished book was incomplete before he died. Christine, Romero's widow requested novelist and screenwriter, Daniel Kraus to co-author (non-ghost write) the book. He agreed.

I'm guessing Kraus is still trying to polish it up. Keeping the same tone as Romero's words. Which is a huge task, but not impossible. He had written many things from comic books to movies. So there is a pile to draw from.

OR it's about wanting to wait for the Coronavirus to fizzle out - more stores to buy it in.

Man, I still have issue with the Tor cover. It feels lazy, so uninspired. Be more creative folks.

I'm bummed, yes - but I want this to be the best it can be. Two months more could be the thing to make it excellent. And Kraus has all of Romero's notes on what he wanted to accomplish.

As mentioned before, the book is a reboot - we are once again on 'day one' of the zombie plague; set in the present. This has an exclusive no other Romero undead work has... the cause. I'm not expecting something super detailed. But a solid finger in the right direction. Could be a mix of science and supernatural.

On Feburary 28th, 2020 news surfaced on a TV series based on the film - "Day Of The Dead" (1985). Not the first time one of his zombie movies was tried (adapted) for television.

This might/could air in 2021 for the SyFy Channel; a ten episode commitment given; produced by Cartel Entertainment and HiTide Studios. Too early to know much more and no cast named. The show runners are Scott Thomas and Jed Elinof who penned the pilot. The series is an homage to Romero's dark classic. At least that's the word, we'll see.

Coronavirus concerns has halted and shutdown productions; this may not happen at all. A pandemic series may not be wanted by audiences. Or this might not air until 2022.

The show will take place at 'day one' - six strangers mashed together during the first twenty-four hours of the zombie uprising. Set? I can only imagine in the present. But it would be nice to be set in the 1980s. I would like that.

Yup, that's there is a crappy image. Indeed.

Did my best to make it presentable, but I can only do so much. A behind-the-scene pix from "Day Of The Dead" featuring special effects giant, Tom Savini puppeteering the iconic "Dr. Tongue" ghoul from the film's opening credits - the time before CGI.

There's an unofficial action figure based on him.

So - when will there be a full Retrospective entry? A good question. The best I can say is - I'm working on it. *shrugs* You can't stop the concept. They won't go down forever.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 03-26-2020 at 02:06 AM.