Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Thumbs down Damn Cinemark! Why did you do this?

Cinemark (for those who don't live in the USA) is one of the largest movie theater companies in the USA.

There are 3 of them near me that I've been going to for about 11 years.

Well, I haven't been to a movie this Summer.

Just now I decided I am going to go see the new Star Trek movie so I went to Cinemark.com to look up the time for both the regular digital non-3D shows and the 3D shows.

Well, they have taken auditoriums that usually seat 300 or more people and installed reclining lounger seats in every one of them.

The theaters are all 20 or more screen (i.e. each one has 20 auditoriums).

So now every auditorium have these new lounger seats which take up more space than the old regular theater seats;

therefore the capacity in each auditorium has been reduced by about half.

A 300 seats auditorium is now about 160 or so and so on.

To make things worse, every auditorium is advance purchase online and reservation only even the non 3D showings.

There was a time when the only movies requiring advance purchase and seat reservation are selected IMAX or special 3D XD showings.

The fun about movies is you are out somewhere whether at dinner or you just got off work and you say: you know what? I am going to go see a movie. Let me see what's playing right now.

Then you go there and you walk into a theater and you pick a seat out of 100 and 100 of seats that are not taken.

Now not only do you have to buy the ticket in advance online and reserve the seat at the time of purchase, if you decide at the last minute to go see a movie, all the good seats will be reserved and taken.

How is Cinemark going to enforce that anyway? Someone reserves seat #15 in row #5 and you go in and sit down in it by mistake, you were supposed to be in seat #13, row #5, and the rightful "owner" of that seats shows up and hey, someone took your seat #13 too.

j7wild Guest

Thumbs down

The last movie I saw in theater was Star Wars Episode 7, exactly a year ago.

I may have an opening in my schedule today during the day and I am thinking of going to see the new Star Wars film.

Well, nothing has changed. EVERY auditorium at Cinemark is still reserved seating advance purchase online.

You'd think maybe they had received complaints or maybe they have see that their revenues have dropped slightly and adjusted accordingly.

So I decided to go to their competition: AMC.

AMC is doing the same thing.

I GOOGLE search reserved seating and there are several articles from past couple months about it.

It's not a good idea.

What if you get there and someone sitting in your reserved seat and you politely ask them to move and they want to fight you?

Or you get there late or someone get there late after the previews or the movie have already began? How do you look for your seat in the dark?

In the articles I've found online, many of the movie theater corporation spokespersons says this way you are guaranteed a GREAT seat!

No you are not. The seat maybe GREAT in term of location in the auditorium but again if you get someone next to you who is noisy or someone in front of you who is tall and is blocking your line of sight or someone behind you who likes to kick the back of your seat or someone next to you who has bad body odor, that seat is not GREAT anymore.

Once again it also eliminate the spontaneity of going to a movie. If you decide at the last minute to go see a movie and there are no great seats left, then you won't go. I am sure the movie theaters companies are losing millions because of this.

Furthermore by forcing you to buy the tickets online via their website or a 3rd party website like Fandango, you are also paying more (service or convenience fee, whatever they want to call it) on an already over priced ticket.

Then the movie theaters companies want to complain that they are losing money to lower attendance, to the home video market, to online streaming of new movies not long after it's been released at the theater, and to pirating.

Well, if they want to make it harder to see a movie on top of keep raising the prices of the tickets, people will want to wait to watch them at home.