Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Encoding with Quicktime?

Hi there, I guess this qustion goes out to the technical folks who encode the trailers for the site.

This is my first post in this forum but I've been a fan of the site for several months now and have found several great trailers here. The reason for my post...one thing I have noticed about this site is that the Quikckime encoding quality is just as good as that found at apple.com/trailers-and I thought the only reason THEY got it encoded so well was because they do it all professionally.

A month or so ago I bought an expensive quicktime encoding package because I wanted to capture some behind the scenes clips from DVDs and encode them into quicktime at roughly the same quality and file size as what is at apple.com/trailers & this website. I've successfully ripped the files from DVDs using Smartripper and converted to uncompressed AVI using DVD2AVI (works fine in Adobe Premiere, exporting to the right size etc). But when I export them into .mov through the professional quicktime suite it always gives me poor quality, or appropriate quality only with a HUGE file size (when I'm hoping for 20mb for roughly 2 minutes at large movie trailer size, not twice that). This is using the Sorensen 3 codec and the correct audio codec too, which I had to purchase separately.

So the only thing I can get it down to is I don't have the correct keyframes or datarate per second. I've tried so many different variables but again nothing ends up as good as what you have on this site-although the source footage is of the highest quality (equal to that of the DVD). I've put in a call to apple and they can't help me. If anyone could help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. I have an extensive collection of movie trailer music to trade if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance for your time,

Lyle.
    Last edited by Lyle; 02-01-2003 at 12:06 AM.