Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Thumbs up Russian Ark - Review

Saw this movie last night. Overall it was a great movie.

My score: 3.5/5 stars

Overall feel of the movie: A bit slow in parts, the movie is a sweeping tour of the Hermitage museum in St. Petersberg.
    Sometimes confusing because of the culture aspect of the movie, but good nonetheless.

Cinimatography: This movie deserves an academy award for this area. The entire movie is one continuous shot, and done in one take. A monumental achievement, it is topped by the quality of the shot. It was beautiful to say the least.

Costumes: Another category deserving an academy award. The movie shifts between several historical periods in Russian History. While I'm unfamiliar with a lot of Russian History, the costumes were always consitent. They were also incredibly detailed, down to the medals on the Russian soldiers.

Acting: This sometimes helped breakup the monotony. The interplay between the "diplomat" who gave the tour and the desembodied narrator was very funny at times. With 2000 extras, you had to look very carefully to find anyone who was not in character (I didn't find ANYONE).
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    sokurov rulez ;]

cinematographer Tilman B?ttner worked with Tykwer in "Run Lola Run"

btw the original name of the film is "Ðóñêèé êîâ÷åã"
    Last edited by chilko; 02-06-2003 at 08:45 AM.

Credits
    I thought this was visually brilliant too. The steady cam guy deserves three academy awards. This is like the ironman of cinematography. I still haven't figured out how they pulled off some of the shots.

The story was somewhat disjointed and weak, but I am sure the concept came about before the story. Absolutely beautiful film, loaded with historical meaning and irony.