I saw it in theaters too. Everyone I know who saw it a second time was even MORE scared. (The way it worked out is 9 out of 10 people are scared. if you are scared, you are FREAKED OUT. and if you're not, you really are nowhere close.)

Big screen + big sound = big difference. Seriously. There is no way it is anywhere close to being the same as in the theater. It's not really that scary at all...

I don't know if VHS would have the same problem but if it doesn't, go the VHS route - the dialoge is low and you miss something that IMO was critical to the whole effect
when Simaria is singing by the well (the same tune you've heard all movie!!!) you can't hear it on the DVD.

Plus, if you get it on VHS, you get the whole mind thing about handling a VHS tape

One more thing: Prank of the week: DO rent it on VHS, send it over to someone's house who has seen The Ring in theaters. set the tape to when you see "the film" and get one of those outlet timer things. Set it for when they'll be home but probably with the TV off. Turn the volume up and feel free to call them after it should have finished.