In this issues:

Diesel Talks Cronicles of Riddick
I, Robot Starring Will Smith and Alan Tudyk
Jerry O'Connell as Superman?
Schumaker talks Phantom of the Opera
Rumors and Tidbits

------------------------------------------
Diesel Talks Cronicles of Riddick

Vin Diesel told SCI FI Wire he begins filming the SF sequel film Riddick in Vancouver, B.C., in two weeks, with some improvements. After difficulty with the contact lenses in the predecessor movie, Pitch Black, Diesel ordered a new set for the sequel. "We've upgraded from hard lenses to soft," Diesel said in an interview.

Diesel said that he had a hand in the development of the film, influencing even the scientific explanations for the film's villainous creatures. "[I've been] creating creature characteristics and attributes you won't see until scene two or scene three and researching on the Internet to explain negative matter: where these villains come from, these Necromongers," he said. "[We have to explain] their scientific existence."

Diesel added, "We're going to create this huge universe. And I'm excited about exploring this character's purpose in this universe and what his whole deal is." Riddick, the first in a proposed new trilogy of films centering on Diesel's character, is anticipating a June 25, 2004, release.
------------------------------------------
I, Robot Starring Will Smith and Alan Tudyk

Alan Tudyk, last seen as Wash in Fox's canceled Firefly, will perform as the computer-animation reference for the CGI character Sonny opposite Will Smith in the upcoming SF film I, Robot, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Alex Proyas is directing the adaptation of Isaac Asimov's classic book for Fox and will begin shooting in May, the trade paper reported.

Smith plays a detective investigating a crime that may have been perpetrated by a robot (Tudyk).

Like Andy Serkis (Gollum in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers), Tudyk's actions, facial expressions and mannerisms will be CGI-enhanced to create the robot, the trade paper reported.
--------------------------------------------
Jerry O'Connell as Superman?

Former Sliders star Jerry O'Connell confirmed for E! Online that he's up for the lead role in the upcoming Superman movie. "Yeah, I'm definitely right in there," O'Connell told the site. "There is some stiff competition, but I guarantee you I can do more push-ups than all those other guys."

O'Connell reportedly screen-tested for the role of the Man of Steel. The site added that Superman director Brett Ratner served as O'Connell's senior advisor when he was a freshman at New York University.

"There are guys in front of me that have nominations(*??? adds Granite*)," O'Connell added. "The only thing I've been nominated for is best attendance for physical education in junior high. Whether it happens or not, I'm in this business for the long haul. I know for a fact that I look good in blue Spandex. If it doesn't happen, Space Ghost is always an option."

Meanwhile, the New York Post reported that former Felicity star Keri Russell is in the running to play Lois Lane, according to a report on TV Guide Online.
---------------------------------------------
Schumaker talks Phantom of the Opera

Director Joel Schumacher told Chicago Sun-Times columnist Cindy Pearlman that he will direct a film version of the musical Phantom of the Opera. But Schumacher added that Antonio Banderas will not star in the adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit play.

"Antonio is not doing this version," Schumacher told the newspaper. He added, "I haven't cast yet, but I want to go younger. Maybe Antonio was part of a past project. He was in Evita, and Andrew loves him, but he's not my phantom."

Schumacher is reportedly prepping the project and thinking about casting. He said that he wants to have Phantom out next Christmas.
----------------------------------------------
Rumors and Tibits

A feature-film version of the popular animated TV series Spongebob Squarepants is slated to hit theaters on Nov. 19, 2004, Yahoo! Movies reported.
-----------
Breckin Meyer is in talks to star as John Arbuckle in 20th Century Fox's big-screen live-action/computer-animated adaptation of the Garfield comic strip, with Jennifer Love Hewitt finalizing a deal to play his love interest, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
-----------