Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Thumbs down So I just finished watching The Ring on DVD...

I saw it in theaters too. Everyone I know who saw it a second time was even MORE scared. (The way it worked out is 9 out of 10 people are scared. if you are scared, you are FREAKED OUT. and if you're not, you really are nowhere close.)

Big screen + big sound = big difference. Seriously. There is no way it is anywhere close to being the same as in the theater. It's not really that scary at all...

I don't know if VHS would have the same problem but if it doesn't, go the VHS route - the dialoge is low and you miss something that IMO was critical to the whole effect
    when Simaria is singing by the well (the same tune you've heard all movie!!!) you can't hear it on the DVD.

Plus, if you get it on VHS, you get the whole mind thing about handling a VHS tape

One more thing: Prank of the week: DO rent it on VHS, send it over to someone's house who has seen The Ring in theaters. set the tape to when you see "the film" and get one of those outlet timer things. Set it for when they'll be home but probably with the TV off. Turn the volume up and feel free to call them after it should have finished.

Credits
    huh? .. u complain about the DVD or the movie.. i say your DVD player sucks..... hehehe

maybe u did not choose the right audio... coz that DVD ROCKS... it has awesome DD 5.1 and DTS..

1st time i saw this movie was last Dec. and its was a 2 cd Divx with DD AC3 sound track (from a DVD screener) and it already sounds awesome... especially that scene u mentioned.... =)

the film is ok, had some scary parts, but the look and and sound of that movie is simply awesome... !!!

i love movies with great visual style and sounds.... the colors of green and blue is simply amazing.... :big grin: :big grin:
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    ... best thing about the movie is that the actually Ring flashs up for a second during the boat scene.
    That freaked me out!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Kn'thrak - there are actually a few times things flash very quickly - some I didn't even catch the first time in theaters. Just quick little blurps that you'll miss if you blink. I agree that it's a very good movie but if you truely want to be frightened, you had to watch it in theaters.

I liked how it wasn't a typical horror "slash slash" film. Very little truly scary stuff happened but the entire time the movie is messing with your mind - the music, the look, the feel - even the props are sometimes placed just so you'll notice something. Very subtle and you're scared once you leave the theater rather then while you're in your seat (or not at all )

In similar news, was there ever a soundtrack? I'm searching all over google and all I get is "Lord of the rings"

Credits
    ok... i still think this movie is overly ridiculous.... a VHS killing people.... yeah just like Jason Voorhees/Über Jason coming off screen or from the " movie blind spot" killing people..

as a movie it self, The Ring does not explain the origin of the VHS or how it is connected with the girl.. ...right? .. thats a big plot whole to me.... and besides a movie about a VHS killing people is so ridiculous and hilarious i hardly got scared. The Jap version is even more hilariously stupid...lol

But the US version of The Ring looks (visually) great and sounds great and this I like about the movie.. nothing movie....

But again these type of movie hardly scare me...

Credits
    What VHS excist ????? I Thought it was dead already....

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    as a movie it self, The Ring does not explain the origin of the VHS or how it is connected with the girl.. ...right? .. thats a big plot whole to me.... and besides a movie about a VHS killing people is so ridiculous and hilarious i hardly got scared. The Jap version is even more hilariously stupid...lol
    that leaves a bit to the imagination (and the sequals )

I did some reading up on it all before I saw the movie.
    Lets see what I can still find:

Facts of The Ring
    (The website has an entire FAQ about all the movies and the japanese sequals explain a lot more)

The basic explination (and yeah it's a stretch but hey - this is a horror movie )
    The images on the tape were burned on. Sameria burned them on with her mind - much like she burned the wall in the barn or the hand prints and the images into her parents heads. I'm not sure if she can actually control this ability but she claims not to (at least to the doctor) There is obviously some control over what becomes burned - as all the images have to do with things she's seen or done.

Pretty creepy. Depending on how much you believe in physic powers the movieis just silly or very frightning.

Credits
    One thing that I want to do, is that on the DVD they have the whole video of The Ring Not the movie, but what is on the VHS. Then Record it to VHS. Then go to the video store and switch the video around with some other movie, and let them FREAK OUT!

Credits
    Originally posted by Movie Wizard
    One thing that I want to do, is that on the DVD they have the whole video of The Ring Not the movie, but what is on the VHS. Then Record it to VHS. Then go to the video store and switch the video around with some other movie, and let them FREAK OUT!

You are evil........

Credits
    I saw it twice in theatres.

The first time was in a large movie theatre, great sound. Scared the **** out of me.

The second time was back home with my mom in a smaller theatre with not so great sound. Not scary at all. Not really for her either.

Credits
    Originally posted by hicks
    I saw it twice in theatres.

The first time was in a large movie theatre, great sound. Scared the **** out of me.

The second time was back home with my mom in a smaller theatre with not so great sound. Not scary at all. Not really for her either.
    *I* just finished showing it to someone hehehe:angel"

Them: OMG why did you let me watch that?!
    Me: Wait...did you even SEE that movie?!
    Them: Yes!
    Me: Then you'll understand why I had to let you see it. I hope you can find someone in 7 days. Nothing personal.

:angel" she won't be able to sleep for a while. she was flipping out the entire time.

Credits
    Hm I havent watched it yet and after what you telling me here i am not going watch it alone....

Credits
    i actually have THE tape in my possession.........
    honest.....the tape....in my possession....
    and i'm planning on sending it to the people who make "reality tv shows"............

Credits
    since i work at a video store.. i can play a SHITE load of pranks on people who hire it out... hahah i only wish that the movie was about retunring the movie late.. imagine how many people would return tapes on time if they thought a ghost would come and get them!!!

the new computer program at work will tell us exactly what time people hire it out too.. ... oooh self control..

imagine though how freaked you would be if everyone who hired the VHS didnt return it.. and their contact numbers ceased to exist hehehe

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by Stormwalker
    imagine though how freaked you would be if everyone who hired the VHS didnt return it.. and their contact numbers ceased to exist hehehe
    "Ok here's your change sir, The Ring is due back on Thursday"

"but...isn't it a 7 day rental?"

"No...we changed it back to 5 days - we wern't getting any copies back. Good luck though - I hope you can show it to a friend!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast