Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

windows xp - access denied to folder

I'm posting this in case anyone out there ever runs into the same problem as me...

I bought a new hard-drive and wanted a clean install of Windows XP (Home Edition). So I moved my old C: drive to slave, and installed my new hard-drive as my master.
    Reinstalled Windows, and bingo.
    All set.

Except....

My old "My Documents" folder (Which was now on the D: drive) was no longer accessible. I kept getting access denied.

After doing some research, I knew I had to to setup the permissions to make (the new) me, the owner.
    Everything I read said to right-click the folder and go to the Security tab.

Only problem was.... There was no security tab. ????

Finally... someone said that in Windows XP - Home Edition, in order to get the security tab, you had to reboot in safe mode

Once logged in, goto your folder, right-click, choose Security, and make give yourself access to the files.
    Then reboot normally.

Phew!

Credits
    ahh crap.. i had a similar problem, the NT security on a NTFS drive locked me out of my folder, and after getting advice on a Mirc forum.. i was told a DOS command that would reset permissions.. unfortunatly it stripped al permission and took away my security as well.. so i lost it all only about 3 gig of mp3s and trailers.. *sigh* hehe..

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}