Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    Damn right the story wasn't original but that doesn't matter with Equilibrium because it doesn't attempt to be anything it's not. Like every popcorn movie it has a morality tale to tell without going into it on more than a surface level. Unlike films like Minority Reoprt and Matrix though it doesn't pretend to be a deep movie. Very strong performance by Bale aswell, with a cameo from Sean Beane.

BTW people should really see this on the big screen but can't because a film without Matrix's budget now get's ignored.
    1) This movie is as deep as Minority Report. 2) Sean Bean have supporting role much large than cameo. If you don't know what cameo is, look at Brad Pitt and Matt Damon in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. 3) Films without Matrix's budget are not ignored. If a $5m movie has enough hype, it will earn a lot of money. Look at My Greek Wedding for example. 4) I saw it on the big screen and there were only a few people in theater. It failed, because it didn't had any promotion.

Credits
    The Matrix is deeper than either Minority Report or Equilibrium. Both of the latter are deeper than your average summer fare. Sound simple enough?
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Unhappy

So you are calling Michael Bay's masterpieces not deep enough?

Credits
    First of all i said it was not soooooo original, but that's because hardly any theme has not been used in a movie yet. Second, don't base ur opinion on a review because as we all know different people have different thouhgt about movie. Equilibrium is a great movie. And I don't know how this Michael Bay thing came up but anyone who says he's a bad director is an idiot. Some of my favorite movies were directed by him.

Credits
    Originally posted by Equinox
    1) This movie is as deep as Minority Report. 2) Sean Bean have supporting role much large than cameo. If you don't know what cameo is, look at Brad Pitt and Matt Damon in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. 3) Films without Matrix's budget are not ignored. If a $5m movie has enough hype, it will earn a lot of money. Look at My Greek Wedding for example. 4) I saw it on the big screen and there were only a few people in theater. It failed, because it didn't had any promotion.
    1) that's not exactly mankinds greatest achievement. The film was as deep as Minority Report which was my whole point. The film never pretended to be deeper and just allowed you to enjoy the flm in a more streamlined manner.
    2) Cameo or not. It was too small for a starring or supporting part so I called it a cameo. Does that really matter it was still a good thing and I wish he'd been in it more.
    3)My Big Fat Greek Wedding wasn't an action film so the target audience was different. The target audience for movies like Equilibrium are interested in the effects and the explosions so a smaller budget goes ignored and the studio refuses to spend lots more money on advertising.
    Originally posted by blugh
    The Matrix is deeper than either Minority Report or Equilibrium. Both of the latter are deeper than your average summer fare. Sound simple enough?
    Not too sure I agree. Maybe it is deeper but none of them are particularly deep. Matrix just got pretentious and pretended to be deep with lines like "There is no spoon." All that said was "It's not real" but didn't add anything. It simply sounded more philosophical, but let's not start this again shallw we.
    Originally posted by Jak616
    First of all i said it was not soooooo original, but that's because hardly any theme has not been used in a movie yet. Second, don't base ur opinion on a review because as we all know different people have different thouhgt about movie. Equilibrium is a great movie. And I don't know how this Michael Bay thing came up but anyone who says he's a bad director is an idiot. Some of my favorite movies were directed by him.
    Hangon. When did I call Michael Bay a bad director. He's simply a shallow director but he knows this. His films are among the most fun pop corn movies because he doesn't get pretentious and just makes his films. However he's still a very shallow man who insists on annoying love story side plots. Just make The Rock again, that was the perfect popcorn movie. BTW you do realize that the only review posted in this thread is a very good review and is by ME don't you. Surely I'm entitled to base my opinions on my own reviews which are in turn based on my own opions.
    Last edited by carl; 04-21-2003 at 03:29 PM.

Credits
    some1 tell me WHAT DEEP means ?!?!?!

and how could you guys directly compare a movie costing $20m (equilibrium) vs $100M for Matrix and Fight Club

Equilibrium is a B movie, its budget tells us that, but it delivered very well with what resources it had and this made the movie good.... and PLEASE... Christian Bale is 100X better than those boneheads Keanu and Brad...
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    some1 tell me WHAT DEEP means ?!?!?!

and how could you guys directly compare a movie costing $20m (equilibrium) vs $100M for Matrix and Fight Club

Equilibrium is a B movie, its budget tells us that, but it delivered very well with what resources it had and this made the movie good.... and PLEASE... Christian Bale is 100X better than those boneheads Keanu and Brad...
    A deep movie is another tricky thing to describe. It can be caused through strong well developed characters, but not in this case. In the case of the movies mentioned in this thread a [b]DEEP[/b[ movie would be a film that makes some kind of comment on our world. It causes us to ask questions about the events of the film. All 3 film mentioned in this thread had the potential for depth but allof them have had their themes already explored so they chose the safe reliable route. Unfortunately both Matrix and Minority Report claimed to be deep while they were actually pretentious. A movie that shows a theme and pretends to be developed while never going beyond a surface level would be pretentious movie. Minority Report is the equivelent of a guy who stands on a street corner shouting his opinions from the roof tops. It never delved into the rights and wrongs of a pre crime punishment system but instead said "Look it's wrong OK." It ignored the fact that our own justice system at present is less perfect than pre crime and rushed through the fact that their had been a 100% deplesion in murder. Then it put Anderton on the run and said "Look it's not perfect so let's burn the system" no depth there.

The Matrix on the other hand is the equivelent of a person who pretends to know more than they do. (before anyone comments, I am not pretending to be a film genious just pointing out the facts that I do know, and I've already explained why my username used to be moviebuff so don't go there). It avoids any issues it doesn't know about then disguises it's lack of insight inside overly complicated dialogue that sounds insightfull. The one, the oracle or my favourite line "There is no spoon." The line added nothing than if he'd said "It's not real", but because it sounds deep and insigtfull it was used. A Deep film would have used dialogue that questioned reality or our own perceptions instead of just acting like it was more imporatant than it actually was.

I know, a long, pretentious and unnesisary post to say a Deep film is a Deep film.

Credits
    WELL SAID !!!

Credits
    I didn't say anything about fight clubna it didn't cost $100 million!

Credits
    now i wanna see it
    Blu-Ray Supporter
    55 blurays and counting... plus Batman Begins, Iron Man, Transformers and many others on Pre-order.

Credits
    It looks like a Matrix wannebe movie to me the last time I saw the trailer for it.
    "We are men of action, lies do not become us."

Link to my top 20 movies

Credits
    the one that looks like a matrix wanna be to me is bulletproof monk (i have not seen so if its good then dont be flaming)

Credits
    I saw a clip from this movie at Stormwalker's house, and I was really really impressed, and also mightily pissed off that IT'S NOT GOING TO BE PLAYED AT THE CINEMAS IN MY LOCAL TOWN!! IT IS SUPREMELY WICKED, GUN KATA IS THE MOST NOVEL CINEMATIC FIGHTING TECHNIQUE FOR A LOOOOOOOOONG TIME.....

Credits
    still waiting for it on video hehe.. might have to hijack a uni lecture theatre and have a movie night hehehehe

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by bizdady
    the one that looks like a matrix wanna be to me is bulletproof monk (i have not seen so if its good then dont be flaming)
    :big grin:
    I love this. Ever since we flamed GF for liking The Matrix so much everyones become afraid. Always cautious to say In my opinion, or I know it's not original before they admit to liking it, or being carefull how they word the dislike of a film when they're not sure how it's been embraced by the audience. Fear not, I think only Radstar saw bullet proof monk and liked it, anbd she'll leave you alone as long as you don't disrespect old Momma's boy named "Dwayne".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast