Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Smile King Kong is back!!!

From www.theonering.net:

3-30-03 Latest News

PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT 'KING KONG' FOR UNIVERSAL PICTURES
    Xoanon @ 7:47 pm EST

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., March 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Five-time Academy Award(R) nominee Peter Jackson will direct "King Kong" for Universal Pictures, it was announced today by Stacey Snider, Chairman, Universal Pictures. Jackson will begin work on the film immediately following the release of "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King," the third and final installment of his blockbuster trilogy based upon the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson will write the screenplay with his partner Fran Walsh and "The Lord Of The Rings" co-writer Philippa Boyens. Jackson and Walsh will produce the film under their WingNut Films banner. Universal Pictures will release "King Kong" worldwide in 2005.

Jackson will bring his sweeping cinematic vision to the iconic story of the gigantic ape-monster captured in the wilds and brought to civilization where he meets his tragic fate.

The screenplay by Jackson, Walsh and Boyens is based on the original story by Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace, which became the classic 1933 RKO Radio Pictures film, directed by adventurers Cooper and Ernest B. Schoesdack. The RKO "King Kong" has been designated by the National Film Registry of the United States Library of Congress as one of the 100 Greatest Films and chosen by that organization for permanent preservation as a national treasure.

Jackson will employ the latest motion picture technology to cinematically portray the timeless tale of the beast and his beauty. He will expand on the chapters of the tale that take place in the mysterious and dangerous jungles of Skull Island, and his Kong promises to be a unique and breathtaking creation. As with his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Jackson will shoot "King Kong" on location in his native New Zealand. The visual effects will be again accomplished by his New Zealand-based company Weta, Ltd., who have twice been honored with the Visual Effects Oscar(R) for their work on "The Lord Of The Rings." They will supplement practical locations in creating primordial jungles and '30s-period America.

"No film has captivated my imagination more than 'King Kong.' I'm making movies today because I saw this film when I was 9 years old. It has been my sustained dream to reinterpret this classic story for a new age," Jackson stated. "The story of Kong offers everything that any storyteller could hope for: an archetypal narrative, thrilling action, resonating emotion and memorable characters. It has endured for precisely these reasons and I am honored to be a part of its continuing legacy."

Snider noted, "Peter Jackson is a filmmaker uniquely capable of capturing the core appeal of enduring classics and in expanding the visual language of motion pictures, as inarguably evidenced in his landmark achievement with the 'Lord of the Rings' films. We are thrilled to be working with Peter and Fran, and we are confident that their execution of 'King Kong' will amaze moviegoers. Anyone who has seen the first two installments of 'The Lord of the Rings' knows that Peter will bring Kong to life as a real character. His vision for the tragic tale of the misunderstood creature, with its poignant character development and technological wonder, will make 'King Kong' compulsory viewing for any real movie lover."

Peter Jackson made cinematic history with "The Lord of the Rings," becoming the first person to direct three major feature films simultaneously. Released in 2001, the first film in the trilogy, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," was nominated for 13 Academy Awards, including Best Director, and won four. The film also received the American Film Institute's prestigious Film Award and was nominated for 12 awards from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), winning awards for Best Film and garnering Jackson the David Lean Award for direction. In addition to four Golden Globe nominations, the film also received numerous distinctions and awards around the world. The second installment, "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," earned six Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture. It won two Oscars and two BAFTA Awards. The final installment, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," will be released this December.

Jackson and Walsh previously received widespread acclaim for their 1994 feature "Heavenly Creatures," which was awarded a Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival and an Academy Award(R) nomination for Best Screenplay. Other film credits include "The Frighteners" starring Michael J. Fox, the adult puppet feature "Meet the Feebles," the mockumentary "Forgotten Silver and Braindead."

Universal Pictures is a division of Vivendi UNIVERSAL Entertainment (VUE) ( www.universalstudios.com ), the U.S.-based film, television and recreation entity of Vivendi Universal, a global media and communications company.

SOURCE Universal Pictures
    CO: Universal Pictures; Vivendi UNIVERSAL Entertainment; VUE; Weta, Ltd.
    ST: California, New Zealand
    SU: PDT

TheOneRing.net is currently trying to independently confirm this story
    Woohooo!!!

Last edited by lafce; 03-30-2003 at 08:25 PM.

Credits

Update - story confirmed

From www.theonering.net:

TheOneRing.net has independently confirmed this story to be true. The big monkey is coming back to the screen!
    Woohoooo again!!!

Credits
    Sweet.

I wonder if they're anthropomorphise King Kong and make him more human. A giant Gollum would be amusing, but I hope they don't.

No word yet on the female lead eh?
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    Kong was my favorite growing up...maybe next to Godzilla.
    (and not the one with matthew broderick either...)
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I Hope that the FIlm will be a good and intelligent one and no " a big monster make nuff nuff to new york" movie...

Credits
    Originally posted by GermanFinne
    I Hope that the FIlm will be a good and intelligent one and no " a big monster make nuff nuff to new york" movie...
    Talkin Godzilla 98? Funny thing is, that Emmerich's Godzilla is one of my guilty pleasures. It's not that bad.

Regarding King Kong I'm not too excited. The 1933 version can't be topped IMHO. The 1976 version was utter ****e, yeah, but it had Jessica Lange at her very hottest.

Credits
    Originally posted by Mischa
    The 1976 version was utter ****e, yeah, but it had Jessica Lange at her very hottest.

Very true. :big grin:

Credits
    Originally posted by GermanFinne
    You can really fail trying to make a movie smart - then it looks VERY stupid I just hope Kong can climb the empire state building without people getting offended

Credits

King Kong test statue

From www.countingdown.com :

According to WETA FX's official site, this sculpture was one of a large number of 3D designs that we created for an abandoned remake of King Kong. Hopefully the remake isn't going to stay abandoned too much longer!

:big grin:

Credits
    maybe natalie portman could be the girl.....

yah king kong.... crush her!!!!! muahahaha!!!
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Originally posted by radstar

:big grin: :big grin:
    This is going to make some M-L people angry!
    Last edited by lafce; 03-31-2003 at 07:05 PM.

Credits
    Hmm... I would say Christina Ricci, maybe even Thora Birch. But Nat Portman just isn't right for it.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Originally posted by radstar

Eat her like some chubba chubbs he he he he he

Credits
    More on PJ's Kong:

Jackson to recreate New York in a paddock

The lead female, originally played by Fay Wray in 1933, would need to have a good set of pipes, he said, given her part requires a lot of screaming.

"That will be part of the auditions, I guess, asking them to scream. We'll have to do it in a sound-proofed room."
    :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: ........................

Credits
    Originally posted by blugh
    Hmm... I would say Christina Ricci, maybe even Thora Birch. But Nat Portman just isn't right for it.

The female leads are traditionally blonde, right?