Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits

Ultimate Movie-List FAQ

i found time to write a FAQ for ML, its still not done bacause a FAQ (Fequently Asked Questions) is always changing. If you think there are questions that still need some answers then feel free to post them here =)

Thanks to Knthrak, Mark Strube and ZUBi for assisting in making this FAQ.

Ultimate Movie-List FAQ
    1) Q. What are movie teasers/trailers?
    A. Why are you even here?

2) Q. What players are needed to play these trailers?
    A.
    ---(.mov, .mp4)- Most of the trailers poster here at ML are Quicktime movie files. You can download the free Quicktime player version from here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/. There is also a Pro version which gives you more options like fullscreen playback, save option and editing options. You simply need obtain or purchase a serial key from Apple.
    ---(.asf, .wmv, .avi, .mpg)- Some trailers, mostly newly released trailers, are Windows Media player files. These trailers are streaming and are in low quality . If you have Windows XP then mostly likely Media player 8/XP is already installed. However, newer trailers are encoded using WM9 or version 9. Go here to download and install the latest version of Windows Media player http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp
    ---(.ram, .rm)- Another media format is REAL Video. This format is still widely used, and you'll have to seach the page for the free version. Go here to download the player http://www.real.com/realoneplayer.ht...03realhome_1_3

3) Q. What is a Codec?
    A. A codec is defined as a compression/decompression algorithm. Codecs may function as software-only (e.g., Cinepak, Indeo, Sorenson), hardware-only (e.g., DVI, DV Camera) or as a combination of hardware and software (e.g., MPEG). They are used to shrink large files or data streams, often for efficient transmission over a network, and then decode them when they are displayed.
    - For example if a trailer is encoded with Divx5, this means Divx5 codecs were used to compress the trailer. Since this is a codec, any player that supports .avi files can play this trailer once the divx5 codec is installed in your system.

4) Q. What is Divx?
    A. (.avi, .divx) Some trailers are encoded using Divx5. No new player is needed for these trailers as long as you have media player installed in your system. You just need to download the Divx5 codecs from here http://www.divx.com/divx/. This package also comes with its own player which basically gives more options.

5) Q. Why so many players are needed? This is making me crazy, is there not an all in one player?
    A. Yes there is. It is called Media player Classic. It is basically a front end player, meaning it is just a user interface to playback your media files and uses the installed codecs in your system. There is a version of Media player Classic that can play QuickTime 6, Windows Media 9 and Real Video. Go here to download it http://www.mister.de/modules.php?nam...ticle&sid=498. Since this is just a "front end" player most of the options found in the full players are not present and sometimes the playback quality is not as good as using the native player of a codec.

6) Q. I downloaded a QuickTime trailer but I don't hear any sound. What is wrong?
    A. Most likely you downloaded a new QT trailer encoded with the new sound codec of Quicktime 6 which is mpeg4 audio. The new Matrix trailers from Warner Brothers' website for example, are encoded with these. Simply download and install the latest version of Quicktime, at the moment it is version 6.1 or select the update option in Quicktime menu. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/

7) Q. I just downloaded one of those huge and awesome trailers but it plays so choppy. What is wrong?
    A. This means you have a slow CPU. The resolution of a trailer (e.g. 320, 480, 640 , 720 or even 1024) affects video playback performance.
    -480 or less trailers playback fine on systems with 300Mhz to 600Mhz
    -640 trailers need at least 600Mhz, 800Mhz with 128MB RAM is the best for these sizes.
    -720 trailers need at least 800Mhz with 128MB RAM. 1Ghz with 256MB Ram are best for these trailers.
    -1000 , 1024 or greater trailers need 1.5Ghz with 256MB RAM for smooth playback. These trailers look and sound great!
    So download and watch only the trailer sizes your CPU can handle.

8) Q. I have a fast PC, but still playback is choppy. What is wrong?
    A. Most likely you have video card driver problems or that the player is not using hardware playback. Check that u have the latest video card drivers and install them. For Quicktime 6, make sure you are not playing back in "Safe Mode". To check this go to control panel -QuickTime-Video Settings. Then restart player.

9) Q. The trailers are dark, I hardly see anything. Why is this?
    A. There are several reasons for this. 1st you need to calibrate your PC monitor, be sure it has the brightness and contrast settings at the right levels. Here is a small guide http://www.mindspring.com/~woharris/cal.htm
    - Another reason could be that your video card drivers that handle the "video overlay" are still on default. Video players use some hardware to playback video and your video card has a big role in this. To check and change these settings go to your video card properties and advance settings and look for the "video overlay" function. Having the brightness level above 15% would be good, or playback a dark video while you change this setting to achieve the desired results.

10) Q. I have Dial-Up and these trailers are so huge in file size. Why is this?
    A. Sorry, trailers or video files will always be bigger in file size compared to picture files. These trailers are actully already very small compared to the uncompressed version. Usually a minute of uncompressed video at 640 res is about 1GB and these codecs(sorenso 3, divx, wm9) compress to file sizes that are practical to download with little loss of quality. There are always several sizes for trailers, download only the size u can afford to download. Also, you could get a download manager such as GetRight or Download Accelerator, which will allow you to pause and resume downloads, as well as speeding them up a little bit. Use one of those programs in conjunction with the direct links in the forums here, and having dial-up is no longer a problem!

11) Q. I see you guys post cool screenshots from trailers, how do you do this?
    A. There are several ways, usually every player or video format has a way. To take screenshots from Quicktime files simply play to the scene u want then pause then click on edit -copy. Open your favorite picture program then paste and save file. For windows media files, simply turn off hardware playback of media player and press (print screen) on your keyboard. Then paste this captured shot on your picture program. Be sure to turn the hardware acceleration of the player back on once done. For Divx files the best would be to use virtualdub. Open the video file in virtualdub and video- "capture source to clipboard" and paste to your favorite picture program. For DVD movies simply use the capture function of PowerDVD or Windvd. When saving these files always save them as jpeg at 70% to 80% compression to share them or post them at the forums.

12) Q. How do I save Quicktime trailers?
    A. If you have Quicktime 6 Pro version then you can save the trailers once it has fully loaded by clicking the little down arrow in the player, and click on "Save as QuickTime movie." If you don't have QuickTime Pro, you can always search your computer's Internet browser cache for the movie file.

13) Q. Some Quicktime trailers can't be saved, how come?
    A. Some Quicktime trailers are streamers or don't want to be saved. You need the direct links for these trailers.

14) Q. I have lots of DVDs and lots of trailers in them, how do I copy them and make them into Quicktime files?
    A. Ask Mark Strube or Guiboche about this, they can make this part of the FAQ.

15) Q. Who owns this site?
    A. His name is Jean-Pierre Bazinet or JP for short, he is our god so in time he will be yours too. SO WORSHIP HIM!!!

16) Q. I always see new signatures... don't you guys have a life?
    A. Yes, we are losers, but we love movies and trailers.

17) Q. Who are you?
    A. I am tisoy, the ML attention whore, so don't get cocky or I will make fun of you.

18) Q. Who is editman?
    A. Your worst nightmare.

19) Q. Who is GermanFinne/Matrix/Julia?
    A. Was GermanFinne/Matrix/Julia, she is actually a man who played the longest and most **** ** game here in ML

20) Q. Who is Stormwalker?
    A. He got a life .

21) Q. How many posts it takes to reach each level (senior member, trailer master, etc.).?
    A. It's a secret.

22) Q. Who is blankboy?
    A. He is JPB's brother. Also a MOD of this Forum. But he seldoms posts, mostly lurks.
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-03-2003 at 06:16 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Re: Ultimate Movie-List FAQ (testing phase)

Originally posted by tisoy
    14) Q. I have lots of DVDs and lots of trailers in them, how do I copy them and make them into Quicktime files?
    A. Ask Mark Strube or Guiboche about this, they can make this part of the FAQ.

1. Rip.

2. Open in V-Dub

3. crop, save as avi and check ratio

4. Reload VOB. Crop, resize using a precise bicubic [A=1.00], deinterlace where needed.

5. Save as AVI, uncompressed video and audio (sometimes increase volume).

6. Load AVI into Sorenson Squeeze

7. Use settings appropriate for aspect ratio. 640 is ususally
    Videooutput-Sorenson Video 3 pro (extra options-Bi directional encoding off, auto keyframe every 65 seconds.)

Data Rate-2200kbps(1800 for longer trailers)
    Frame rate-25fps(PAL-region2) 24fps(NTSC-region1)
    Method-Sorenson 2 pass VBR
    Keyframe every 60 secs

Audio
    Fraunhofer MP3
    data rate-160kbs
    sample rate-44.100khz
    channels-sterio

8. Save MOV

(This is QT encoding for beginers, the way the more experienced encoders do it is much much more complicated, and those of you who know nothing about encoding. Well needless to say, your head would explode.)
    Last edited by carl; 08-30-2003 at 03:28 PM.

Credits
    awesome stuff. chris... but i think i should be in there put my name in hehehe.. i dont care what for..

q. Whos the biggest dick in the ML forum family.
    A. Rich..

just a thought hehehehe

or maybe there could be a ml forum website.. with mini interviews from all of us.. hrmm... if anyone wants to join up with me and do that drop me an email

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Hey still no guide on encoding to Quicktime.

My WMP9 is a little rusty but I can do a guide for that easilly. I have no clue how to encode to QT though other than I need to find sorenson squeeze somewhere.

Credits
    WOHOO
    19) Q. Who is GermanFinne?
    A. Just a Matrix fan , don't mind her.
    i am 4 month now here and i get no respect *grummel*

Credits
    HEY WHY AM I NOT IN THE FAQ?????? U BASTARD =)
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    He He
    You forgot Gaumont....You Bastards

Credits

Re: Ultimate Movie-List FAQ

Originally posted by tisoy
    18) Q. Who is editman?
    A. Your worst nightmare.

20) Q. Who is Stormwalker?
    A. He is the next Heath Ledger, the next big thing from down under.
    LOL. I thought I'm the next big thing from Down Under!

But I'm your worst nightmare indeed, esp when you're trying to be a smart *** or a cry-baby throwing tandrums in this Forum...

18a) Q. What is the true identity of editman?
    A. Not to be found in the Forum.

18b) Q. What are the existing theories of editman's identity?
    A. Check out this thread.
    Last edited by editman; 04-21-2003 at 07:39 PM.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits

Re: Re: Ultimate Movie-List FAQ

Originally posted by editman
    LOL. I thought I'm the next big thing from Down Under!

But I'm your worst nightmare indeed, esp when you're trying to be a smart *** or a cry-baby throwing tandrums in this Forum...

18a) Q. What is the true identity of editman?
    A. Not to be found in the Forum.

18b) Q. What are the existing theories of editman's identity?
    A. Check out this thread.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Credits
    heheh heath ledger.,.. keep an eye on your back heath!!! im the next big thing! you wont even see me coming.. *cough*.. was that a little self gratifying... *cough*.. sorry

Credits
    Originally posted by Stormwalker
    you wont even see me coming.. *cough*..
    Cos he's not looking at the roof... Muhahahaha... :big grin:

Credits
    Well, one question I see pop up every now and then (and, quite frankly, I am curious about myself) is how many posts it takes to reach each level (senior member, trailer master, etc.).
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Originally posted by corfy
    Well, one question I see pop up every now and then (and, quite frankly, I am curious about myself) is how many posts it takes to reach each level (senior member, trailer master, etc.).
    Check out this thread

I have a question: how can one turn a thread into a sticky? Are the MODs the people authorised to do so?

Credits
    Originally posted by editman
    Check out this thread
    Yeah, I saw that thread before I posted, but I noticed that the question is not answered in the thread, and Matrix suggested that the question would be better in the Technical/Problems section (which this is) and I thought it would be appropriate in the FAQ.

Credits
    Originally posted by corfy
    Yeah, I saw that thread before I posted, but I noticed that the question is not answered in the thread, and Matrix suggested that the question would be better in the Technical/Problems section (which this is) and I thought it would be appropriate in the FAQ.
    thing is I don't think the MODs will tell us though...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast