In this issue

X2 sets release record
Singer Talks X-men 3
Around the World in 80 Days casting notes

-----------------------------------------------------------
X2 sets release record

The upcoming X-Men sequel film, X2, will set a record for the biggest ever "day-and-date" release in film history, meaning that it will open simultaneously in 80 countries and in 93 separate markets on May 2, Variety reported. The previous record was set last year, when Star Wars: Episode II—Attack of the Clones opened simultaneously in 74 countries, the trade paper reported.

The strategy of a massive day-and-date release is mostly used on event movies that are already highly recognizable, the trade paper reported. The original X-Men took in $300 million worldwide three years ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Singer Talks X-Men 3

Bryan Singer, director of the upcoming X-Men sequel film, X2, told SCI FI Wire that a lot of comic mythology didn't make it into the second movie, but could end up in a third. "Possibly," he said in an interview. "You choose your battles. You figure out what serves the story and what is ultimately tangential."

Singer added, "[In] each X-Men film, we lost a character. I had to battle Beast out of the first film. I think Angel was a character that found its way into almost towards the final drafts of this script. I had a wonderful scene with Angel that I was very fond of, and had to get rid of, because you don't want to have characters and plot lines for the sake of having characters and plot lines."

Singer said that he had to cut other elements from X2, including a scene featuring Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) in the Danger Room and others involving the Sentinels. X2 opens May 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Around the World in 80 Days casting notes

Arnold Schwarzenegger and British actor-comedian John Cleese will play cameo roles in Walden Media's upcoming Around the World in 80 Days, based on Jules Verne's classic book, Variety reported. Schwarzenegger will reteam with his Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines producer Hal Lieberman, who is producing 80 Days with Bill Badalato, the trade paper reported.

The movie, which stars Jackie Chan and Jim Broadbent, began shooting in Thailand and moved to Studio Babelsberg in Germany this month for a three-month shoot, the trade paper reported.

Kathy Bates recently signed to play Queen Victoria. Other cast includes Steve Coogan, Johnny Knoxville and Belgian actor Cecile de France. Frank Coraci (The Wedding Singer) directs, from a script by Michael D. Weiss and David Titcher.
--------------------------------------------------------