Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

[Review: NS] X-Men 2

NS = No Spoilers

Bryan Singer sure did fine work on a famous comic series and turn it into a motion picture. Don't often see director's transform a popular story into a believable universe for the viewers. X2 made itself a very good sequel to its predecessor. Not only did the crew of X2 made some outstanding presentation this movie but the cast delivered tremendous. The most outstanding performances were from Ian McKellen (Magneto), Famke Janssen (Jean Grey), Rebecca Romijn-Stamos (Mystique) & of course Hugh Jackman (Wolverine). Character interaction are much more believable and real as soon as the movie is rolled. Not only are the characters fantastic but the story of mutant hate in the world can be categorized and linked to today's issues.

The world is on the verge of civil riots when the mutant issue comes up. Mutants try now to live mixed with normal humans but there is some sort of jealousy or hate that divides them. All over the world this is down from inside the White House to street protests and all the way to family separation. Overall, we're shown mutants aren't bad just special people that don't abuse their powers for the greater... but unfortunately there are some that become egotistical with their gifts, like Pyro. The younger generation of X-Men that are like any other teenager.

Jokes were toned down and more played by the younger generation of mutants we see... in a good way tho. The number of new mutants seen are awesome. We see a taste of the powers at their maximum strength used against the normal world and how any little advantage can change any situation to security and/or anarchy.

You certainly don't need to watch the first X-Men to follow on X2 but it helps with the story of why. X2 even explains events that follow on into the movie from X1. The whole movie itself felt like a massive world being handed to you piece by piece and put together to create this fantastic surreal world. Watch out for Famke Janssen which is very delivering and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos now actor (Femme Fatale) turned from super model. Its great to see talent spark out from the shadows.

Special effects with the story are a much big step since the last X-Men and to add, that I could not tell what was fx or real. No over done shots. The introduction opened very nicely getting straight down to the point (pun intended). Ending... well, won't give anything away but very good minor twists that become interesting later.

I'm giving this movie a barely 9/10 since the few actors deliver hot action roles. Not often I give major action movies a high rating but all characters had enough screen time to explain their situation and more. Back stories included for those ones like myself who want anything explained.

Your review?

PS: Advertisement doesn't do this movie justice. Word of mouth is the best so tell ur friends. It fits all genre. Yes... girls will love the movie. Hugh Jackman topless. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Kn'thrak; 04-30-2003 at 02:14 AM.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]