Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

TALK David Fincher

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Fincher,%20David

Date of birth (location)
    Denver, Colorado, USA

Trade mark
    [single frame insert] His movies often features several single frames that flash on the screen in the middle of a scene, which is also demonstrated by the main characters of his film Fight Club (1999)

Fluid tracking camera which can access anywhere; a digital age continuation of the innovations in camera movement pioneered by Max Ophuls and Stanley Kubrick.

Silhouettes. Fincher frequently has characters in the shadows where you cannot make out their face, notably Kevin Spacey in Se7en (1995) and Brad Pitt in Fight Club (1999).
    So who is David Fincher to you?
    Do you like his movies?
    What is your favorite movie that he directed?

my fav...
    Fight Club (1999)
    and
    Se7en (1995)

he is still very young at his work and also his list is still short but damn he does leave a great trademark in his movies...
    Last edited by trailergod; 04-30-2003 at 05:51 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Some of his first work was with Madonna music videos, he directed Vogue, Express Yourself, Oh Father, and Bad Girl. If you look hard enough you can see the start to some of his trademark look, especially in Bad Girl.

Credits
    his music videos are really good, although i like the work by mark romanek a bit more.
    my fincher favorites are express yourself by madonna, freedom '90 by george michael and love is strong by the rolling stones.
    too bad hes not attached to m:i3 anymore, i´d love to see what he would do with such a mainstream franchise.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    With only a handful of credits to his name, David Fincher became one of the most talked-about American directors to emerge during the late '90s. Although Fincher first earned recognition -- albeit negative -- as the director of the critically eviscerated Alien 3 in 1992, it was his work on Seven three years later that earned him both critical approval and industry acceptance. A noirish, grimly atmospheric crime thriller starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt as detectives following the gruesome trail of a serial killer, the film was hailed by a number of critics as one of the most innovative and unsettling of the decade, and duly established its director as one of Hollywood's most compelling new talents.

Originally hailing from Denver, where he was born in 1962, Fincher began making movies at the age of eight and, particularly inspired by the work of George Lucas, got his first major industry job ten years later at Lucas' own Industrial Lights and Magic. After his four-year stint at ILM, during which he worked on such productions as Return of the Jedi (1983) and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Fincher helmed commercials and music videos for the likes of Aerosmith, Paula Abdul, and Madonna.

Following the disappointment of Alien 3, his directorial debut, the filmmaker received Andrew Kevin Walker's screenplay for Seven. Relentlessly grim and oozing with rancid cynicism, the film's success was even more remarkable for the fact that it strayed so far from the escapist fare that typically primes a film for mainstream commercial standing. Because the acclaim surrounding Seven made the relatively unknown Fincher one of Hollywood's hottest new commodities, the anticipation surrounding his subsequent project, The Game, was considerable. Released in 1997 and starring Michael Douglas as a soulless attorney who becomes caught up in the sinister, Kafka-esque machinations of the titular scheme, the film boasted almost as much feel-bad cynicism as Seven, but failed to get the warm reception enjoyed by its predecessor.

The relative disappointment of The Game, however, did little to dim the excitement that accompanied Fincher's next project, a screen adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's novel Fight Club. Featuring a sterling cast that included Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, and Seven collaborator Pitt, the 1999 film was easily one of the most publicized of the year and, ultimately, one of the more disappointing. Fueled in equal measure by stylistic audacity and the spirit of disenfranchised machismo, Fight Club polarized critics and audiences alike, winning over some viewers with its sardonic vision of violence and society while alienating others. Although the film was considered a box-office flop -- a failure widely believed to have caused the firing of Twentieth Century Fox head Bill Mechanic -- expectations were still high for Fincher's next project, The Panic Room, a thriller starring Jodie Foster, Jared Leto, Forest Whitaker, and Dwight Yoakam. ~ Rebecca Flint, All Movie Guide
    What can I say about David Fincher. He started off very well with his first real Directing job on Alien 3. A film that has been critically panned by a lot of people but has started to find more acceptance now. I always liked Alien 3 even when it was cool to hate it because it had a very good style. It was the weakest of the Alien trilogy but that is not to be mistaken for a bad film, or even a popcorn film like Alien 4. Alien 3 was a very bleak and grim film, that had a bigger feeling of hopelessness than the other Alien films.

He then went on to find critical and commercial acclaim and so far his peak movie in the genre classic Se7en. An amazing film, that was even bleaker than Alien 3 and was so well directed that people considered it gorier than Silence of the lambs even though you never see a drop of blood.

Unfortunately he has not been able to peak that high. His next film The Game was had very good direction but was a bad decision by Fincher because of how ridiculous it all was. It was good the first time you watch it but when you know what's happening it loses a lot of interest.

Jake'll kill me for this one, but while an improvement over the game Fight Club was also not as good as his first 2 films. Again his direction was good but the film unfortunately suffered from a bad story. It was so excited with it's spirit of rebellion that it forgot that not all laws are bad. Some good satire but not Finchers best. I haven't seen it in ages though.

Finally Panic Room, a film many at ML believe to be among the best films ever. I thought it was Finchers weakest. It started off very well but once they locked themselves in the room Finchers unique style seemed to falter.

My ratings of these five films are

Alien 3 ****
    Se7en *****
    The Game ***
    Fight Club ***half
    Panic Room ***

So all of the films I've seen of his so far have been enjoyable but he needs to work hard if he wants to return to his dizzying high's.
    Last edited by carl; 04-30-2003 at 06:39 PM.

Credits
    IMO .. Panic Room is the worst in the list, it may have good camera work and atmosphere... but dear lord that movie just died from boredom.....

Credits

Re: TALK David Fincher

So who is David Fincher to you?

Rediscovery... I didn't realise he's the director of Alien3 until Seven became a big hit.

Do you like his movies?

Haven't seen one from him that I don't like.

What is your favorite movie that he directed?

1. The Game
    2. Fight Club.
    3. Seven & Panic Room (couldn't decide)
    4. Alien 3 (but I always love the Alien series. Besides I haven't seen the director's cut yet.)

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Thumbs up

>So who is David Fincher to you?

guy with a dark style

>Do you like his movies?

YES!

>What is your favorite movie that he directed?

7 (yeah, best than Alien 3, but I like Alien 3)

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    I've seen all his movies. in my opinion prabobly the best director in the past couple of years. Fight Club was (speechless). He transformed an above average book to a (speechless) movie. The camera work was (speechless). The story (speechless). Need I say more?

Credits

GREATEST DIRECTOR ALIVE

With alien 3, fincher wanted to show the birth and death of an alien. Wrong director choice for this film because he went against the norm following James cameron. But, to follow this up with Seven, and blow people away with the vision he has made me speechless as I left the theatre. Next comes the Game, which was more commercial, but brilliant. His next film, Fight club, is a movie that spoke to me. It change things in the way I looked at life. I have seen thousands of movie's in my life time,and it this one still to this day that is my #1. Panic room, continued on with his cgi camera work that he used in fight club, it's a good movie but I think it's his weakest story. Turned down mi:3, and now doing a fictional version of dogtown and zboys. He's the next stanley kubrick.