Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

'X2' Evolves 58% Past Predecessor in Stellar Summer Kick-Off

The Marvel-ous mutants drew an estimated $85.85 million from a record 3,741 theaters, according to distributor 20th Century Fox. That stands as the fourth biggest opening ever behind Spider-Man's $114,844,116 and the two Harry Potter movies, Sorcerer's Stone's $90,294,621 and Chamber of Secrets' $88,357,488 -- all of which had comparable super-saturation release patterns.

"It exceeded our expectations," Fox distribution chief Bruce Snyder told Box Office Mojo. "On Thursday, I was thinking maybe we'd get $75 million. So $85 million was a pleasant surprise, though not shocking."

However, the weekend does have a twist. Fox's estimates have been overly optimistic for tent poles before, such as last May's overshooting of Attack of the Clones's opening by $6 million and the first X-Men's by nearly $3 million. This time, though, the opposite may be true as competing studios have X2 pegged $5 million higher than Fox does.

"It's so tricky to make estimates with a release this wide, factoring in all those missing theaters," Snyder explained. "Everyone else has us at $90 million to $95 million. I hope they're right."
    read more here @ Box Office Mojo
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    That's a lot of money, too bad the Matrix will totally obliterate this record.

Is obliterate a little harsh? I don't htink so

Credits
    Well I don't know about you guys but X2 kicks ***
    "As you wish..."

Credits
    Originally posted by Jake
    That's a lot of money, too bad the Matrix will totally obliterate this record.

Is obliterate a little harsh? I don't htink so
    Obliterate isn't harsh, it's just inaccurate. There is no way that
    Matrix will top X2, simply because no one under 16 can get into it without their parents. That's gonna keep the gross lower. Reloaded will still make beaucoup bucks(200-250 million), but it won't top X2.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    I think the Matrix will top it without a problem.

Once the MAtrix is released evryone will forget about X2, true it's rated R but it's also the kind of a movie where kids will ask their parents/sibling/older friends, to take them. DVD sales will bring millions and even the action figures will make a lot