Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

What do you guys think about these comedians?

As it often is with comedians and comedic actors, you either like them or you can't stand them, how does everyone feel about the following?

Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    John Cleese
    Bill Murray
    Jim Carrey
    Bill Hicks
    Steve Martin
    Robin Williams
    Mike Myers
    Chris Rock
    Eddie Murphy

Credits
    I don't know who Bill Hicks and George Carlin are (is Carlin the actor who played the Cardinal in 'Dogma' and the hitchhiker in 'Jay & Silent Bob...'?), but the others are OK (some good, some great). My favourites would be John Cleese, Steve Martin & Bill Murray. I was watching some episodes from the TV series 'Fawlty Towers' (IMDB) recently and Mr. Cleese is absolutely fantastic there, as he is always...

Two of the best together

John Cleese

Credits
    i don't really like jim carrey's comedies, his only film i really like is the truman show. same goes for robin williams, don't really like him as a comedian but his darker films last year, insomnia and one hour photo, were really good, especially one hour photo. still can't see why he didn´t get recognized at awards although he was praised everywhere for his acting.
    the only ones i really like on this list are bill murray and mike myers. groundhog day and the austin powers films are among my favorite comedies, but bill murrays filmography is imo much more diverse and impressive, with films like rushmore, the royal tenenbaums, wild things and also charlie's angels.
    haven´t seen much of the other ones, so i can´t really comment on them.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits

Re: What do you guys think about these comedians?

Richard Pryor ****
    John Cleese ***** (As long as it's not Monty Python)
    Bill Murray ***** in the past ** now
    Jim Carrey ****
    Steve Martin ***
    Robin Williams *****
    Mike Myers ***(but only for Waynes World)
    Chris Rock *
    Eddie Murphy ****

Credits
    Bill Murray in Groundhog day is one of my favorite comedys...really great acting

Mike Meyers is just so funny in austin/dr evil...LOL

Jim Carrey done some great acting in liar liar and i hope that bruce almighty will bring him back to that form

Steve Martin wuz great in "Planes traines and automobiles"
    Great comedy duo with john candy....

Credits
    Richard Pryor... haven't seen that much with him, but what I saw was pretty good. ***
    George Carlin is unbelievably good. *****
    I've never really liked Bill Murray *
    Jim Carrey was great. Key word, was. ***** up until Ace Ventura 2, ** since.
    John Cleese has always been good, but he's had a few missteps. ****
    Bill Hicks is interchangable with Denis Leary. ***1/2
    Steve Martin is pretty good, and occasionally great. ***1/2
    Robin Williams is brilliant. *****
    Mike Myers has his moments. ***
    Chris Rock is a great comic who does horrible movies. ***
    Eddie Murphy hasn't been funny in a movie for a very long time. In films: * In Cartoons(Shrek): *****
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Richard Pryor: never quite made me laugh

George Carlin: got no freakin clue...

John Cleese: i remember him from Rat Race... he wuz pretty funny. didn't make me laugh all that much tho

Bill Murray: i thought he wuz really funny on SNL. also in Charlie's Angels. and yah Groundhog Day wuz freakin hilarious!!

Jim Carrey: one of my fave.... he's funny in everything. the Majestic wuz his only movie when he actually wasn't funny. i loved him in ace ventura. i think that's his best work. "If I've been drinking out of the toilet... I might have been killed"

Bill Hicks: don't know him either....

Steve Martin: the funniest guy on the planet... don't know any of his work that isn't funny. great in Father of the Bride! great on SNL.

Robin Williams: wuz funny in his younger years. lately he isn't funny anymore... even when he tries to be. Mrs. Doubtfire wuz the best of him "I don't work with the males... cuz I used to be one"

Mike Myers: funny sometimes. Wayne's World and Austin Powers. Goldmember wuzn't as funny as the first two. but he seems funny in person. i would love to meet him someday

Chris Rock: never quite made me laugh all that much. first noticed him in LW4. he's okay. but he's cool. it's annoying when he talk black all the time

Eddie Murphy: yes he wuz funny in his younger years... just like robin williams. not so funny anymore. thought he wuz great in Trading Places! and he wuz pretty funny in Daddy Day Care. i actually laughed a lot. it isn't so hard to make me laugh
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits

Re: Re: What do you guys think about these comedians?

Originally posted by radstar
    [B]

John Cleese: i remember him from Rat Race... he wuz pretty funny. didn't make me laugh all that much tho

You actually thought he was pretty funny there? How i hated that film.
    You sure are easy to please

If you want to see the best of him, be sure to check out Monty Python, A Fish Called Wanda. or this britcom that used to run, Fawlty Towers.

Credits

Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think about these comedians?

Originally posted by Katre

If you want to see the best of him, be sure to check out Monty Python, A Fish Called Wanda. or this britcom that used to run, Fawlty Towers.

Fawlty Towers is just brilliant.....i loved that show

Credits

Richard Pryor

3/5
    I like him.... but I can't stand Gene Wilder

George Carlin

??

John Cleese

3,5/5
    I like him very much in some roles... sometimes I can't shand him

Bill Murray

4/5
    Ha can be great (Quick Change, Groundhog Day).... but he can also suck

Jim Carrey

4,5/5
    Ha can be great (Man on the Moon) .... but he can also suck (Ace Ventura 2)

Bill Hicks

??

Steve Martin

5/5
    Usually great actor and great fun... but last oscar presentation was DULL!!

Robin Williams

5/5
    Usually great actor and great fun... he made few mistakes

Mike Myers

4,5/5
    Ha can be great (Austin Powers 1) .... but he can also suck (austin Powers 3)

Chris Rock

3/5
    I'm not so much into modern coloured comedy

Eddie Murphy

5/5 (older movies)
    2/5 (today)
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!
    [My Top 20 Movies @ YMDB] [My Bottom 20 Movies @ YMDB]

Credits

Richard Pryor
    Some good some bad. Not really my kind of comedian

George Carlin
    Hes one of the legends in stand up comedy (been at it over 40 years), done some really funny stuff. Class clown is a classic. There is a Swede whos done it in swedish that's even better.
    Many funny CDs but in the end too much the same stuff. Gets old after a while.

John Cleese
    Great comedian. First saw him in Monthy Phyton as a Kid "and now over to something completly different" =) Fawlty Towers is good stuff aswell. The Phyton Movies is very good aswell. Not so good in Rat Race or Scorched. However is one of my favorites. Much of the stuff done with the Phyton gang is great.
    Saw a great interview with him a while back, hes a very intelligent guy, but so are most of the best comedians.

Bill Murray
    Ghostbuster, Groundhog Day and 'What About Bob?' is funny movies. Not the best actor but does good comedy.

Jim Carrey
    Man on the Moon and The Majestic are good movies. I think hes better than he gets to show. Too much typecasting. Done some very funny stand-up comedy too.

Bill Hicks
    Very funny comedian. A few good CDs of his stand-up work. Gets like Carlin a bit boring in the long run cus he did too much of the same. Just borrowed a DVD, with his stand-up comedy, from a buddy that Im gonna watch.

Steve Martin
    Some funny movies some not so funny. sgt Bilko is one of the better.

Robin Williams
    GREAT actor and comedian. His best work is his acting. His later stand-up tends to be too much below the best to be top notch but many great movies. What Dreams May Come & Dead Poets Scociety are my Favorites.

Mike Myers
    Not good.

Chris Rock
    Some good stand-up stuff. Much of it is really dumb though. He dosent give a very inteligent impression.

Eddie Murphy
    Never really liked him as a comedian. Beverlyhill Cops movies are ok though.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits

Richard Pryor: older stuff was hilarious. "the toy" w/ jackie gleason, "hear no evil,see no evil","bustin' loose" and "stir crazy" all funny films

George Carlin: all i need to say is "the 7 words yo ucan't say on TV".....

John Cleese: great in monty python. still good.

Bill Murray: some of the older stuff is better.

Jim Carrey: ok. kind of hit or miss with me. me,myself and irene and the mask were great...

Bill Hicks: don't know him ....

Steve Martin: again, some of his older stuff is better...

Robin Williams: i think his best stuff was when is was on coke. kind of tapered off recently into darker stuff.

Mike Myers: funny sometimes.

Chris Rock: ok. i can't get the vision of him being a crackhead from new jack city

Eddie Murphy: another one that was better when he was younger. "goonie goo goo"....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    George Carlin - funny but very dirty. If you don't like dirty humour you may hate him

John Cleese - pretty good. Though I haven't seen much beyond Monty Python

Bill Murray - Two words: Caddy Shack

Jim Carrey - More physical humour but sometimes that just works. He did some stand-up which is worth looking for but it doesn't seem HIM.

Steve Martin -funny

Robin Williams - A friend of mine had his DVD with the Golf routine. very very funny stuff. seek it out. You may be in tears

Mike Myers - Funnier in movies + TV but did he do any standup?

Chris Rock - hit or miss again. You can laugh to tears or you might hate him completly

Eddie Murphy - Funny....Sherk was great. Though not as much as the others I know here...

Credits
    John Cleese
    Life of Brian, Fawlty Towers much much more.. Cleese is a fav too.. and now he is the new quartermaster

Bill Murray
    Ghost Busters nuf said. (oh and groundhog day)

Jim Carrey
    I remember in grade 7 his stand up show aired a special on television and we were quoting it for months and months... (entertaining for a 12 year old.. go figure?)

Steve Martin
    *yawn*

Robin Williams
    I am a fan of Robin, havent seen much of his stand up.. but movies like Good Morning Vietname, Mrs Doughtfire and Death To Smoochy have made him a favorite.

Mike Myers
    Myers is a legend.. im interested to see what these new movies he is making are going to be like, with himself being inserted into old footage?

Chris Rock
    From the stand up I saw on Bowling for Columbine, he looks hilarious.. I also like Nurse Betty.. thought he was hilarious in that.. oh and Jay And Silent Bob. !! Booger free coffee

Eddie Murphy
    The day that Raw and Delerious are released in Australia on DVD will be one of the greatest days ever!!! That and his 80's movies are fantastic .. not to big a fan of his 90's movies though.. except maybe dr dolittle that was funny

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits

Richard Pryor - awesome
    George Carlin - good
    John Cleese - very good
    Bill Murray - awesome
    Jim Carrey - very good
    Bill Hicks - ?
    Steve Martin - very good
    Robin Williams - was awesome, now just good
    Mike Myers - very good
    Chris Rock - good
    Eddie Murphy - was awesome, now just good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast