Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

"Bruce Almighty" mighty @ $70.5 million

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/2003...389163000.html
    The new Jim Carrey movie "Bruce Almighty" bounced "The Matrix Reloaded" from the top spot at the North American holiday box office, setting a new record for a non-sequel comedy.

According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, "Bruce Almighty" earned $70.5 million for the first three days of the U.S. Memorial Day holiday weekend. The Keanu Reeves sci-fi thriller "The Matrix Reloaded" slipped to a distant No. 2 with $37.2 million.

Data for other films was unavailable with most studios waiting until Monday to report four-day figures. Final grosses for the weekend will be released on Tuesday.

"Bruce Almighty," an $81 million project released by Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Pictures, stars Carrey as a disenchanted TV newsman given divine powers by God himself, played by Morgan Freeman . Universal produced the film with privately held Spyglass Entertainment.

Carrey's previous best opening was the 2000 film, "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas," which also held the record for a non-sequel comedy with a three-day bow of $55.1 million. The best comedy opening overall is the 2002 comedy "Austin Powers in Goldmember" with $73.1 million.

Universal also predicted a four-day sum of $86.1 million, which would make "Bruce Almighty" the No. 2 opener for the four-day Memorial Day holiday following the $90.2 million launch for "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" in 1997.

Meanwhile, "The Matrix Reloaded" sped to $201.1 million after 11 days -- including evening screenings a day before it officially opened on May 15 -- becoming the second-fastest movie to reach a double century. The 2002 hit "Spider-Man" took nine days.

On Friday, the film's ninth day of release, it passed the lifetime total of its 1999 predecessor, "The Matrix" which ended up with $171 million. The films were released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a unit of AOL Time Warner Inc, which partnered on the series with Australia's Village Roadshow
    ohhhh it kicked Matrix 2 down
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    LOL He is bruce almighty....
    he can do everything *g*

Credits
    I'm kind of surprised that Bruce Almighty did that well considering how poor the reviews I've seen on it are. I'm not a Jim Carrey fan so I personally have no interest in seeing it.

I'm not surprised how much MR dropped. I have a feeling word of mouth on it is getting around and those who wanted to see it, have already done so. I wonder if it'll even hit the $300 million dollar mark.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    reloaded has had mixed word of mouth, at best, and bad word of mouth at worst. i now doubt it will make $300. probably it'll make it to $270 or so.

Credits
    Review of Bruce Almighty from my favorite reviewer:

A very funny, perfectly realized "Jim Carrey Comedy." Carrey plays a news reporter who is given all of God's powers to use as he pleases and the results are hilarious. Carrey is a force of comedic nature and his strengths are played to perfectly in this often riotious comedy. Teamed up again with the director of Ace Ventura and Liar Liar (Tom Shadyac), Carrey throws himself into the comedy with reckless abandon, and fans of Carrey will certainly not be disappointed. Jennifer Aniston is charming as his girlfriend and the Daily Show's Steve Correll is a riot as a smug anchorman. The film gets a bit
    too corny and sticky sweet in the final reel, but before that, it's the kind of goofy and hysterical stuff I've come to expect and love from Jim Carrey. 3.5/4 stars
    Well I'll definitely be seeing this one!! :big grin:

Credits
    wow...i kind of felt that it was going to knock MR from the top spot but i really didn't think it would. we sold out every show of Bruce all weekend long. not one MR sold out, that was my indication.

i'm not a jom carrey fan either but i had to watch it for the job. it's not bad but i really didn't like the religious overtones in the end.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    YEAH!!! One big slap on you Matrix freaks' faces.

I like all Jim's movies. I saw all of his post-Ace-Ventura movies in the cinemas (except Simon Birch - which I have no intention of seeing). Hell I even saw The Majestic and Man On The Moon.

I don't think Bruce Almighty'll be better than The Mask among all Jim's works. I hope at least it's better than Liar Liar. Can't wait for this one to come out down under.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Originally posted by editman
    except Simon Birch - which I have no intention of seeing
    Jim Carrey is in Simon Birch but it's a cameo. He only appears as an adult form of the main character of the young kid at the end of the film for a few minutes. It's such a small part that it makes you wonder why they even chose him to be in the film... Simon Birch was an okay movie...
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    in the immortal words of neo "woah!"...

i am kinda dissapointed.. cause i wanted matrix to knock titanic of from #1... i really loathe that is still there!?! i mean what the .. what does it say about us.. the number one movie is about a boat that sunk.. i mean how much simpler a plot can you ask for.. boat.. boat floats.. boat sinks.. everyone dies.. ! ... and now my number one hope for a movie to replace it.. dashed! ah well there is always ROTK or Matrix 3.. :S

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    no i wasnt joking i hate titanic.. its a pile of crap.. the worst movie ever to be made.. the only reason it is number one is universaly accepted.. f*ck loads of teenage girls went and saw it time and time again because of god damn leonardo dicaprio..?! there is no other reason.. there is nothing special about the movie, nothing that we havent seen before.. (obviously since its based on a true story.. and like i said.. how much simpler can it be for a scriptwriter??)

you tell me deakin.. what is so special about titanic that should allow it to remain at number 1? did you like titanic... if so why... please.. help me be less ignorant (and ill get to that in a moment) honestly... i would love to hear your answer.. i did a search and i have read through some of your recent posts.. nothing to stellar there.. so you tell me.. in 10 words dissing my post.. what points did you make to back up your opinion..? my post in your opinion is comedy, however your posts in my opinion are utter bullshit.. i have some examples of your posts to back my opinion up..

are you kidding me?! taken from red bears thread? once again you seem to think that we are joking when posting about something that isnt comedy at all.. i think if it werent for your arrogance i would like you...

so is the idea for the person who got the quote right to provide us w/ another quote, so that this totally original game can continue forward? well hows about lurking for a little while before writing something that has very little relevance.. no wonder jedi master rolled his eyes.. but wait you continue..

oh, i see. too difficult to come up with a clever quote? so now you go and rag on a different member of the forum.. nice way to make some new online pals.. where were you on the day they taught net ettiquette 101.. learning how to piss without missing the toilet seat.. please.. ...

quit being a dork. this thread only proves that 750/800 of your posts were most likely crap. once again. .another example of your tact for making new forum friends.. i suppose if we were to break it down into a ration of posts made/period of time.. to get some sort of ratio and then placed it against the number of posts you have made over your period of time we would get two completely different numbers.. while yours would probably be higher.. this doesnt excuse the fact that the quality and actual thought put behind such posts is in anyway superior to that of blugh's infact.. it would appear from what i have typed so far, that the only responses you make are to either try to blatantly insult a forum member or to laugh at a thread that was never meant to be funny in the first place..

I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but then I looked at your 'Worst 20' list. One big laugh. Even funnier is your top twenty. another shining example of one of your more thought out posts, not exactly pulitzer prize winning but you do manage to annoy and insult yet another senior member of the forum... i do really admire your grace and willingness to make a complete *** out of yourself in such a public place.. please.. stay around.. because there is nothing i enjoy more than reading the posts.. of morons like you.... but.. hey.. i guess to you this is just another way for me to stake my claim at the
    yay, you win the 'my internet cock is as big as my postcount' prize....

as for ignorance.. after reading everything i have just typed.. im sure people are lining up to redefine it!

Credits
    I wouldn't say Titanic is the biggest load of dung ever made... I mean, it's essentially Pearl Harbour. We've got 2 hours of mediocre chick flick, 1 hour of slam-bang action in both cases. Neither movie is particularly good, but neither is particularly bad either... MR is definitely superior to both of them.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    too true.. blugh.. but then again.. pearl harbour didnt bring about
    Celine *devil* Dion and the catscream that was My Heart Will Go On! heheheeh

Credits
    you rock, storm!!!! :big grin:
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Titanic....... ugh!!!

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    Titanic....... ugh!!!

i share the same feeling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast