Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

The Matrix Reloaded is banned

The Matrix Reloaded is banned in Egypt

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...220629570.html

International box office hit The Matrix Reloaded is banned in Egypt on religious grounds and for its explicit violence.
    The head of the Egyptian censorship panel, Madkour Thabit, said that there is no specific scene the censorship committee objected to but that "it is about the movie as whole."
    The first sequel of the Matrix trilogy was shown and criticized by the Islamic press claiming that it reflected Zionist views, and provoked a campaign to stop showing the film.

sometimes i feel lucky that i dont live in a state where religion overrules the state and freedom of expression
    Last edited by trailergod; 06-11-2003 at 08:15 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    that's sooo freakin ridiculous....

"movies are just movies" i have been told that since i wuz little after seeing that scary movie about the big @$$ rat... i wuz terrified (nightmares for months!) and my parents kept saying "Movies are just movies"

don't ban the freaking thing... if ya gotta be so religious- then keep ur butt at home.

bummer for egypt... still they gotta sit next to the sphinx watching the birds..
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    From Yahoo!
    (more explanation of the ban)

The Hollywhood science fiction hit movie Matrix Reloaded has been banned in Egypt for threatening to offend traditional religious views on the creation of humankind, the chief censor revealed.

The director of artistic censorship, Madkur Thabet, said that "despite its excellent technical level, the film was banned because it deals with subjects like human existence and creation.

"And these are questions linked to the three monotheistic religions that we respect and which we believe in," Thabet added. "These questions have in the past provoked crises and tension."

He said the decision was taken by a "committee of university professors and cinema experts."

In addition, he said, "the film has too many scenes of violence at a time when we are trying to fight this phenomenon."

The distributors of the movie have the right to appeal the ruling to a committee within the culture ministry.

Egyptian censors banned the original Matrix in 1999, but the distribution company had obtained permission to show it after appealing it to the ministry commission.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Re: The Matrix Reloaded is banned

I wonder if the first movie was also banned in Egypt?...

Well there's always the internet, and I'm sure the Egyptian teens have already loaded with Reloaded courtesy of video pirates...

Bans like this only encourage piracies and video imports. Somehow the third world has not realised the reality of globalisation. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this...)

More importantly, I wonder what happened if Julia's living in Egypt...

Then again if she's in Egypt she won't be a Matrix freak then what movie she'll be crazy about?

Lawrence of Arabia? Wait, wrong country...

In Julia mode:

LOL. Funny Funny Funny...

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits

Re: Re: The Matrix Reloaded is banned

Originally posted by editman
    Then again if she's in Egypt she won't be a Matrix freak then what movie she'll be crazy about?
    that's something to think about for a long time........

Credits
    Well at least i hope the egypt people got broadband Internet
    Then they can watch the "bad" movie @ home...
    Thats so not cool..

Credits

Re: Re: The Matrix Reloaded is banned

Originally posted by editman
    I wonder if the first movie was also banned in Egypt?...
    If ya read Tisoy's article, it wasn't! But it was drawn near to it.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits

Re: Re: Re: The Matrix Reloaded is banned

Originally posted by Kn'thrak
    If ya read Tisoy's article, it wasn't! But it was drawn near to it.
    D'oh! Right in front of me eyes and I couldn't see...

editman needs a vacation.

Credits
    Egyptian censors banned the original Matrix in 1999, but the distribution company had obtained permission to show it after appealing it to the ministry commission.

Credits
    i think they are jumping to a bit of a conclusion. the whole creation thing wont be fully explained till revolutions come out.. !?! we dont know if the real world is the real world or visa versa.. or if there is another real world.. we dont know how it all fits together.. so for the govt to go saying it deals with those issues.. either.. a .. they are psychic and know the ending to the trilogy. or are bullshitters!

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by Stormwalker
    i think they are jumping to a bit of a conclusion. the whole creation thing wont be fully explained till revolutions come out.. !?! we dont know if the real world is the real world or visa versa.. or if there is another real world.. we dont know how it all fits together.. so for the govt to go saying it deals with those issues.. either.. a .. they are psychic and know the ending to the trilogy. or are bullshitters!
    Doesn't matter. Bureaucrats judge movies on a stand-alone basis. Cos you never know, there's always some audience who goes to see Reloaded but never have seen the original.