Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Star Wars (1977) - trivia entries

some interesting trivia threads will be posted on movies.. read them they are as entertaining as the movies =)

- When Star Wars was first written, the studio thought that it would be so unpopular that it was planned to be cut up into 20 minute shows and shown on Saturday mornings as a childrens' program.
    - The first time Chewie gets into the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, he hits his head on a small set of dice.
    - All the dialogue when Han is on the console talking to some of the commanders was all ad lib, Harrison thought it would sound more natural.
    - Luke says "Prisoner transfer from block 1138" on the Death Star - a reference to George Lucas' film THX-1138.
    - The Stormtrooper guns are actually British Sterling submachine guns.
    - Han Solo's gun is a Mauser pistol (Schnellfeuer model), a copy of which was used in the Chinese Army.
    - Lightsabres are made out of a selection of camera parts - apparently you can get the schematics for them somewhere on the internet, and make your own. NO, I haven't got the faintest idea where to look. However, I have heard that the right camera parts are very hard to get hold of, because firstly they were around in the 70's/80's, and also because Star Wars fans keep buying them. [For more info, check out: http://members.aol.com/yodashous2/building.htm http://members.aol.com/ctlaw74/galactic.htm and to buy a lightsabre replica: http://larbel.amer.net/index.html] [A better bet might be www.edcstudios.com - apparently here you can get the plans and most of the parts]
    - If you compare the battle between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in this one to the battle in Episode 1, this fight seems very slow and careful. There's a couple of reasons for this - partly, while David Prowse got replaced by an expert sword fighter (Darth Vader was played by, in total, about 5 or 6 people for different things like stunts, voice, etc.), Alec Guinness had to stay himself, and he probably wasn't capable of leaping all over the place. However, more important is the fact that the lit up blades of the lightsabres in Episode 4 were made of wooden doweling (not unlike a broom handle) and if they hit them together, they snapped. These were replaced in the subsequent films with much stronger carbon fibre rods (similar to fishing rods) which explains the ferocity of the lightsabre duels in the later films. The motor within the handle spun the blade which was wrapped in reflective tape, creating the flickering effect. This only showed up when the lighting used was at the right angle. Thus during the Ben / Vader duel it explains why their lightsabres disappear at various points when they point the blade almost directly at the camera.
    - Not really a mistake, but apparently if you go up to a telegraph pole and hit one of the metal wire support cables with a piece of solid copper it will make a laser blaster sound. I take no responsibility for major internal or external injuries or loss of respect from peers. For a safer alternative, if you have a spring type garage door just tap (or even flick with your finger) the spring.
    - Also for a Star Wars laser sound, hold one end of a metal Slinky around your ear, and let the other end drop and hit the floor. It is neat. I would suggest you avoid letting others see you do this unless you have a chance to explain!
    - I believe it is at the house of Obi Wan Kenobi in the background you can see, on a table or shelf, part of a Volkswagen heater duct. It's a part of the car that goes under the rear seat. Most people wouldn't know what it is. It's black and standing vertically on the table
    - The interrogation droid has a protruding metal object at the top that resembles salad tongs. These are Simpson forceps, which have been used for centuries to deliver babies. Certainly a torture device if the expectant mother has no anesthesia.
    - The subtitles can also make nasty little errors. The dutch subtitles of the special edition read as if Han Solo had dumped his cargo because he got bored, instead of boarded.
    - When Luke goes to his room we see C-3PO saying he told R2-D2 not to leave. In the room there is something visible that looks like the bonnet of a car with a mercedes benz sign on it.
    - As Luke and Obi-Wan enter Mos Eisley via Luke's speeder, the Outrider (Dash Rendar's ship from "Shadows of the Empire" can be seen lifting off from the space port.
    - The sound of Luke's landspeeder was made with the recording of the sound of a Highway in Los Angeles mixed with a vacuum cleaner.
    - The uniforms of Alliance pilots ressemble the uniform of US Navy pilots in the 60's and they were made with racing pilot's clothes. They also have distress rockets on their ankle like Luftwaffe pilots in the second world war.
    Last edited by trailergod; 06-28-2003 at 03:55 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Thanks for the trivia, dude......even though I knew a lot of these facts, there is still always something new I learn about my favourite movies of all time!!!! Thanks, Chris!!!! Oh, and kickarse new avatar, too......I just bought the movie poster for the Transformers movie the other day......it looks awesome on my wall, though I find it weird that neither Optimus Prime, nor Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime feature prominently on the poster.....

Credits
    hehehe.. yeah i love Transformers very much....:big grin:

ohhh...another from Star Wars....

When the stormtroopers break into the control room, watch very carefully and you will be able to see a storm trooper nearly render himself unconscious by smacking his head off a door frame.
    hehehe