Credits

28 days Later vs. Last Man on Earth

Howdy from N. Cali,

This is my first post to this group so please be kind.

Rant on....

28 days Later, the "re-visioning" of the novel "I am Legend" first appeared as a film by the great master of horror Vincent Price called "Last Man on Earth". You get at least a good feel for the isolation and suspence from the original novel with Vincent. No special effects, just acting.

"Omega Man" starring Charlton "out of my cold dead hands you apes" Heston was an update of "Last Man ..." simpley changing the setting to a more modern time. Once again, no or very little special effects, just acting.

"28 days later" relies heavily on special effects, including pumping the surround sound when the zombies attack, special camera angles, and that I like to call "the grain effect" which has been so overdone...don't get me started. No acting.

I also understand that since this film was released last November in the U.K., it has appeared on a number of download sites.

Rant off

If you get a chance, see the cinemascope version of "Last Man on Earth".

Credits
    No acting. I guess you were watching a different film then. Charlton Heston can't act, but the actors in 28 Days Later did great. I guess it's just whenever a film comes out with British people using that accent, it's concidered bad acting. Same with Dog Soldiers. Not everyone speaks with an American accent, and not everyone has to chizzel their jaws into place in order to be concidered good actors.

Credits
    I enjoyed 28 Days Later. Not scary...but startling, which is the most a movie can usually do for me.

I didn't have a problem with the acting at all. Thought the characters were very believable and for the first time in a long time, the love story bit seemed real. It wasn't cheezy or predictable or tacky....it was perfect.

Grain was kinda nice. made the whole thing seem more raw. (rawer?). less refined. I don't care how much something is used as long as it works.

At the very least, 3 stars in my book. I would like to have seen more situations (don't want to spoil anything)

what I really liked...
    notice how...even when you are not infected, you are FORCED to behave like you were to survive? Brutel, uncaring killing is the only thing that can keep you safe, and it's what you act like when you're infected as well.
    Last edited by Marcus; 07-03-2003 at 06:53 PM.

Credits

28days later

Sorry Carl, I wrote the piece BEFORE COFFEE. Not the thing to do.

I just felt that without the special effects, the acting alone could not carry the picture

And I loved Dog Soldiers

Credits
    I saw both 28 Days Later and Dog Soldiers (haven't seen the other films mentioned).

I liked the acting in both movies, but I enjoyed Dog Soldiers, and wasn't thrilled with 28 Days Later. I found it pretty boring actually. If it had been about being the last man on earth... fine. If it had been about "zombies"... fine. But the mix of the two didn't work for me.

Dog Soldiers was fun for what it was. A "kick you in the balls" Werewolf movie.

Credits
    just some infos u guys should know...

28 Days Later was shot using a normal retail or commercial DV camera.. they used this to have a more gritty and apocalyptic look for the movie which did work actually...

and no, they hardly used any CGI FX in that movie, 28 days later had a budget of around $17M, which completely makes this movie belong into a different category of our bashing

my point being is that when film makers make good or great with what little money they have, then they have my praise..

when film makers spend $100M and more and end up making a rubbish movie.... screw them to hell !!!!
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-04-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg