Thanks Thanks:  14
Page 37 of 188 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    Credits
    The Hills Have Eyes: Really good in terms of demented horror, but no story and character build up...but still really good in terms of blood n gore. Wuda been good if it had some more involving story tho, cuz da first half of the movie was just boring and useless...they shuda made better use of the first half of the film.

V For Vendetta: It was just boring... actors were great... story was good. but it was just boring and the hollywood feel to it jus wasnt the right approach for a story like this.

Credits
    Tomb Raider- totally ridiculous movie! And matrix revolutions- the ending was obsured! i was laughing hysterically.

Credits
    Bewitched Wasnt as bad as i thought it wud have been.. it was kinda funny and a good film to watch with the family... and brought back good ole memories of the show it self. Not a bad movie.

Credits
    The Hills Have Eyes

I thuroughly enjoyed this movie. I went to it on Thursday (no one else was in the theater so I had a great time!) and had quite the ball. I know that the film was edited for an R-rating, but I don't really know what was cut out! We get a blown-off head with the remains in full view, cannibalism, impalings, body parts, and lots of blood.

There were a few moments that were just "a little much" and not in violence, but in just pure stupidity. The main moment was the classic "I think that the guy is dead, so I'll leave my only weapon right next to the dead body." However, I think that every actor carried this film far beyond what the original script had. It was also a pleasure to see "Marv the Janitor" from Die Hard 2: Die Harder again.

I also have a problem with the last shot of the film. Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about. If that last shot was completely removed, I would have given it a whole heck of a lot more credit, but it kinda cheaps out with that last moment. Oh, well. Could have been worse. But I'll be definately picking up the unrated DVD.

One final thing. THE SCORE was fantastic! Very edgy and true to 70s horror scores. Listening to that piped in with my theater's DTS sound system was a delight! I'm half-tempted to pick up the score on CD.

V for Vendetta

Saw this last night and didn't think much of it when I left the theater, but I talked about it with my girlfriend for the next half hour and she helped me peel back some of the complexity in the film. I don't think it's the best film of the year, but it is better than I initially gave it credit for.

I remember saying to her, "I don't think I'll get it on DVD." This is the kiss of death from me, as I have over 700 DVDs and pretty much buy a lot of big-budget action/horror titles (as long as they're remotely good).

I think the film tries a little too hard in some moments. Natalie Portman's scene in the rain just did not emote with me, as it obviously was trying to. Also, in the second act, V drops out of the film and I wasn't as invested. A little trimming to keep the momentum would have been appreciated.

Also for a "pretty looking picture" there wasn't much camera work. The camera stayed pretty still and standard, save for every shot that was in the trailer, which were the only truly interesting shots. It's almost too bad that the Wachowski's didn't direct this one because their heavy stamp was over everything else except for the camera movements.

The third act was killer and definately put the film back on track (a little pun, given the ending - you'll know when you see it). What was interesting was that there's an action sequence where I actually didn't enjoy seeing V laying in those killer knives into people. I wanted him to stop killing. Others in the audience cheered at these moments, but I cringed. I guess this is some of the complexity of the character.

The mask got to be a little much. The hair didn't help and the mask also seemed a little big. I also wished it was dirtier because the mask in the final scene looked stupendous and I wish it was that way for the whole film.

For a film I had initially written off, I did think an awful lot about it. It wasn't perfect, like initial reviews (I'm looking at you AICN) made it out to be. But it wasn't too bad. This is another case of bad marketing, though. I went in expecting another Matrix. But it had about as much action as the first X-Men film. Not that that was a bad thing, just not expected.

I'm might have to check out the DVD when it comes out...
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Okay, now I just have to say what was wrong with the last shot of The Hills Have Eyes...

(SPOILER)

Here we have this GREAT battle between good and evil. I was actually cheering in this film. I haven't done that in a long time, but I was cheering here. The family comes back together but then it did what I absolutely didn't want it to do... it sets up a sequel. BOO! Through that last shot with the "through the goggles" motif, I was pissed. I think that the film would have been better if it ended right with the family coming back together. Bam. Cut to the red credits. Awesome. This would harken straight back to the old 70s horror that I love. Halloween. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As soon as the direct threat is vanquished, cut to credits. That's awesome. The Hills Have Eyes didn't do that and it hurt the film, in my opinion. For a film that was working to get out of the norms with its rape scene, an evicerated and eaten dog carcass, and a boy watching his mother's body being eaten about 12 hours after watching his father be burned alive, using such a generic ending device was wrong and unfit for that film.

(END SPOILER)

Oh, that felt good to get that off my chest. Still, I really enjoyed the film and I am definately looking forward to seeing Aja's director's cut on DVD.

Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long.

Credits
    Undead 1/5 This movie should stay dead.
    Shaggy Dog 2/5 98% Kid's flick.
    Remember the Titans 3/5 Crash with Football helmets.

Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?

My DVD Collection

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    La Pianiste - 2,5/5

1,5 points only for Isabelle Huppert and Michael Haneke directing.

Credits
    Red Eye - 4/5 Better than I thought.

Credits
    Ugh. I hated Red Eye. Written more like a TV movie than a real film. So many writing mistakes.

Credits
    Hostel 3.5/5

Credits
    The World's Fastest Indian

This film totaly blow me away.. best movie this year so far.. what more can i say it was simply amazing..

Fed7haS
    She's just too pretty for Hollywood. I don't know, put her in a glass box and display her at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or something. - Jake on the topic of Scarlett Johansson.

Credits
    V for Vendetta - The IMAX Experiance - 5 /5

Freaking awesome!!!
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    Hostel: 4.5/5

sick movie in a refreshing different look and very entertaining

Last edited by DVDRick; 03-28-2006 at 08:01 PM.

j7wild Guest
    I saw Syriana today at the 50 cents movie; I give it a 4.5 out of 5;

it's a shame that this $50 million movie only made $51 million in the U.S.;

it's one of the best of 2005 and like Capote and Good Day and Good Night; they didn't get the movie theater business they deserved.

but thank God for DVDs!!

Credits
    Inside Man - 3.5 / 5

Not a bad little thriller. Has a nice twist at the end. Solid performances from everyone.