The Beguiled (1971)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066819/

From IMDB Trivia:

Director Don Siegel said that the film was commercially a failure because Universal Studios released it with advertisements that suggested it was an action movie. And the result disappointed the die-hard fans of Clint Eastwood's usual films. Siegel also said that this film should have been shown in local theaters in NYC, and then could have probably been a moderate success instead of a total failure at the box office.
This is a good movie with good acting from Eastwood and from all the actresses, including the youngest one who was 12 at the time.

I will have to assume this film's commercial box office failure caused it to be overlooked and passed on at the Academy Awards of 1972.

The stars in this film deserved to be nominated.

Eastwood is wounded Union soldier, John McBurney, who is saved by an all girls school headmistress and her students.

Everyone is creepy in here: Eastwood character is trying to charm everyone at the all girls school, including the youngest one who was 13.

WTF?

There are even 2 scenes where he tells the 13 year old girl that she is old enough to be kissed and he kisses her on her mouth.

WTF AGAIN????

All the girls are competing with each other to get McBurney's attention and affection, including the 13 year old one.

TRIPLE WTF???????

Then there is the plot twist and the subsequent ending which I won't give away:

4/5

p.s.

I doubt the new version by Sofia Coppola will be this risque considering the attitude of the world today regarding sex and anything out of the ordinary is not PC.