Page 5 of 190 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Credits
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Pretty good, for fans of the books there are vast inaccuracies, but the continuous action and good characters keep this one alive. I recommend this one.

Credits
    The latest movie I saw is Thirteen, rented it yesterday.
    It's the story of a 13-year-old girl (who looks 17, because she is) named Tracy. In an effort to fit in, she tries to garner the affections of the school's "it" girl Evie. Given Tracy's troubles at home, and Evie's negative influence, she falls into a downward spiral involving sex, drugs, and self-mutilation. It basically boils down to a very powerful, disturbing, yet frighteningly realistic story about her relationship with her mother, who knows something's wrong but doesn't realize how deep the problems run. Her mother, played by Holly Hunter, gives a great performance... absolutely fearless. The performances are great all-around for that matter, I think Evan Rachel Wood (Tracy) has a great future in Hollywood. There are some very driving visuals and I think this is a stunning, if slightly flawed, piece of work. Definitely check this out.

Credits
    I just watched RED PLANET again for the second time.... i like that movie A LOT! only intended to watch the first few minutes but just got grabbed agen and ended up watchin whole movie

Credits
    I've been off for 5-days for a 4-day long Microsoft Developers Conference. I though managed to slip to 3 movies, as the conference was quite boring A guy that works for Microsoft called Bill Gates had the opening speech :angel"

Peter Pan : Great visuals, either matte paintings or vfx, but the story is lacking anything inventive to help stick me to my seat.

Spy Kids 3D : I hated the D. It would've been much better as Spy Kids 3. I didn't find the 3D effects interesting enough, at all. I hope they would release the home video in a standard version.

Underworld : This was the best of them, and it was much better than I thought it would be. The visuals were stunning and I was blown away by the look of the high class vampire nation.
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    Watched Tintin and the Blue Orange - the second live Tintin feature film - for the first time.

Compared to Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece, I reckon I like The Blue Orange better, for it's less wordy with more visual actions/gags. I can follow the story with no problem even though I'm watching a French language film with Japanese subtitles (I know a bit Japanese but no French). While The Golden Fleece's visual style is already close to the Tintin comic books, The Bue Orange feels even more like a Tintin comic book with a mess-mesh of familiar characters and plots (Spanish kids, Abrabian villian, hulky professor etc) borrowed from the comics. The film even has those temporal text on yellow blocks (fortunately they didn't overuse the trick).

I wish those will be released on R1 with English subs. May not be classics, but it's worthy for Tintin fans to check out.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    House of the Dead
    I forced myself to watch this movie and it was horrible... The only cool scene was when the girl fired the shotgun and the bullets split up in mid-air. But just about everything was wrong with this movie... Horrible screenplay, horrible acting, horrible directing, horrible editing, horrible use of the video game within the movie... I would give it a negative 5 out of 5, but that's not possible so I'll just give it a 0/5.
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    Watched Human Nature on DVD last night. Interesting flick. Probably not as awesome (by awesome I probably mean raunchy) as I would have expected. I'm glad I finally saw it, but I won't regret (anymore) not seeing it in cinema, or buying the DVD.

Oh and I love Miranda Otto's 'French' accent.

Tonight's viewing schedule: Irreversible (at last!)

Let's see if tisoy was pulling my legs with his praises on the film...
    Last edited by editman; 02-05-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Credits
    Serving Sara: GREAT MOVIE, SUPRISE OF THE MONTH FOR ME, REALLY FUNNY!!

Matrix Revolutions: Yes this da second time me watched it

Credits
    something's gotta give

was pretty ok, but it felt a bit too long imo. could have been shortened a bit
    6.5/10
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits

The Last Samurai

Okay, I was going to see Irreversible on Friday evening, on to realise that the advanced screening wasn't gonna start till today. So I went to see The Last Samurai.

Okaaay, so I can understand why carl called it better than Kill Bill, cos with the sword fight scenes/war scenes etc it does show you clearly the moves, as compared to the 'messy fight choerography' of Kill Bill (hey, not my words).

But The Best Movie of 2003? That's really overblown, mate. Somehow I can get over the idea of Tom Cruise playing this American General fighting a war for a Japanese samurai. I mean if the lead character is not played by Cruise, I probably will buy the idea. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the Big Cruise. I don't have a problem with Cruise in M:I or Minority Report. But he ain't fit for Japan.

And the first 20 minutes is really a bore. Although I have to give it to the fight scenes, which are as good and detailed as in Braveheart.

To be continued... (Sorry I must double-post. Something wonderful happened...)
    Last edited by editman; 02-07-2004 at 03:07 AM.

Credits

Irreversible

Having got the screening time wrong (2nd time of the year, god I must be getting old!), I gave up a day of resting and went today to see the first advanced screening of Irreversible.

Yes, the two scenes tisoy raves about (head-bashing and the rape scene) are indeed full-on. Yes it did make me squirm. Bellucci did an excellent job to convince the agony she was in. (God her throat MUST hurt a lot after that full-on screamings. Trust me, I know - screaming hurts people's throat that is.)

Still, if you take the violence, sex, Memento story-telling structure and shaky/floating camera movements away, the story would be kind of soapy.

There are a few things planted into the film to reflect the theme (?) which I found a bit obvious, like in the scene Bellucci mentioned having read a book about the future is already been set (something like that), which if I'm not mistaken reflects on the backward storytelling structure, though I reckon it's not subtle enough.

I have no idea what the blinding flashes mean in the end. What function/purpose/meaning does it serve? okay so you can see some nebula at the end of the flashings, which probably gives a 'universal' quality to the story. But why the flashes?

Oh yeah, most importantly, I met a girl and had a great afternoon tea with her after the movie. If I have a 3-hour soulmate somwhere in the world, I've found her! I'll tell you more about it in this thread.
    Last edited by editman; 02-07-2004 at 03:59 AM.

Credits
    Paycheck --- oh boy...Ben affleck is now my nr 1 hate actor....
    Again Lost in Translation - i am so in to this movie...starting learning japanese in a couple of month...i am so interested in this language...

Credits
    Just watched NARC for like the 20th time.
    I think its amazing and that it didnt get the audience or the attention that it deserved. The ending is so brutal and heart pounding, I was actually nervous! nervous! during the ending sequence! I didnt know what was going to happen! The movies twist was just great! Its definatly my favourite movie, It truely, truely has changed my life.
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    Watched May on DVD last night.

Not as good as I would have expected (I was hoping the film could be a bit more than what the trailer has already shown). Too much pop music used, which makes it feel like 'American Psycho 2'. But still worthy of my time cos it's my favourite kind of movies - The Lonely Looneies. Angela Bettis' May is as sad as Robin Williams' Sy. And Anna Faris as a lesbian... what can I say?

The commentary on the DVD are, however, is appalling. There're 2 tracks and I've only listened to the one with director, cast and crew. It gave not much insights to the story itself, just which shots are from the reshoots, which scenes are ripped off from Taxi Driver or Repulsion, how big a fan to Dario Agenta Lucky McKee is, how cool the slider shots are and lot of crap talks.
    Last edited by editman; 02-08-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Credits
    Seabiscut - Excellent movie and a great story. *****

Open Range - **1/2
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Page 5 of 190 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 55 105 ... LastLast