Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Top 10 2002

Credits

Top 10 2002

OK so there's still a few films I want to see, Adaption, Spirited Away are 2 that I have high hopes for, but halfway through 2003 seems like enough time has passed to see enough. Here's mine.

10-Gangs Of New York

Scorsese crafted a terrific drama of revenge, with some brutally realistic violence to capture the times. *****

09-28 Days Later

Confused by many as being "Just another zombie movie". 28 Days Later was a horror movie with a social conscience. Using it's concept to make a commentary on the violence in society.*****

08-Signs

Excellent Cinematography and a genuinely unnerving atmosphere. A few plot holes but they're all easily ignored. *****

07-Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Amazing action scenes in the years most exciting movie. *****

06-Lilo And Stitch

Brilliant film, in fact the best Disney film since Toy Story 2. The usual obvious moral message this time being about the importance of family, but like most Disney films the message is moving.

05-Nicholas Nickleby

Review coming soon, but the strongest characters of the year, in a film that highlites the real difference between family and relatives.*****

04-About Schmidt

A great performance by Nicholson. Some wonderfully written comedy in what is really a very serious film. Plus it created the best catch phrase ever. "Dear Endugu." *****

03-Lord Of The Rings The Two Towers

A film to absorb me like few others. A lot of people complained about the changes from the book, but I feel that these changes were made to better it as a movie. An epic achievement and I can not wait for Return Of The King.*****

02-Metropolis

After Ghost In The Shell this is my favorite animated movie. Some strikingly beautiful imagery, in a film that touches on the importance of love to humanity. Strong characters and a well written story. *****

01-One Hour Photo

The first masterpiece on this list. One Hour Photo nearly found a place on my top 20 films list. The first film in years to truly replicate the amount of suspense Hitchcock could achieve, and never worrying about finding mass acceptance.*****
    Last edited by carl; 07-16-2003 at 04:48 PM.

Credits
    i sooo disagree with your list... i am very surprised with this list, i expected better...
    only movies that are even close for Top in 2002 are
    About Schmidt and One Hour Photo and LOTR.. the rest are not

heres mine
    1. Pianist, The (2002)

very powerful and personal film, it deals with human tragedy and survival at a very personal level (and i don't care if the director has problems)

2. Cidade de Deus (2002)

another very powerful film, what surpised me the most is the acting, these 1st time actors impressed me the most.

3. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)

the crowd pleaser of 2002, its FX and epic story are well made

4. About Schmidt (2002)

Jack Nicholson doin his best

5. Hable con ella (2002)

another surprise for me, very emotional, great acting and camera work

6. Minority Report (2002)

a very good science fiction movie, it brings us back to the film noir look and story telling

7. Y tu mamá también

another great emotional movie, good and natural acting in this movie

8. Bowling for Columbine (2002)

the best docu comedy i have seen (i prefer the german poster/dvd cover, The picture shows a stereotypical Yankee redneck waving an American flag with a BLOODY HOLE IN HIS HEAD)

9. Road to Perdition (2002)

a very good adaptation of a graphic novel, every scene in this movie is beautifully crafted, cinematography at its best

10. Far from Heaven (2002)

another emotional movie with very top rate acting, this movie practically transports u to the golden era of America and its complexities on society

well, i can add more to this list, but these are the movies from 2002 that really gave me an emotional impact, they have great characters, story, camera work and are powerful
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-15-2003 at 03:29 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Lightbulb

Originally posted by tisoy
    QUOTE DELeted by MODerator ZUBi.
    really no need to quote whole text carl
    You expected better, why should I choose your list. Let me guess though,
    Dirty Pretty Things. "Urgh. Slow movie."
    Harry Potter. "Urgh kiddy movie."
    Gangs Of New York. "Urgh, social commentory, gritty realistic violence. Strong story."
    28 Days Later. "Urgh I don't understand it."
    Signs. "Urgh. Alien movie with strong characters."
    Lilo And Stitch "Urgh. Cartoon."
    Metropolis "Urgh anime"

That's your entire thought proccess on my list, right?

Now I understand that you feel your opinion is the only one that matters, but it's not. When someone is able to look deeply into the technical aspects, really understand good visuals as well as the real meaning to a film. That's the reasons why I chose the films I did, but you are obsessed with drama's. Anything which tells a film about kids on drugs is OK in your book, even when it lacks anything else. So long as you can say "It made me care about the characters."

However Minority Report. One of the most overrated movies of last year, good fun but extremely poor story telling. Unlike AI MR really was a film that was spoiled by Spielburgs happy ending, and those plot holes were HUGE!

or Road to Perdition. Yes it had great cinematography, and the supporting perforamce by Newman was excellant. Though he's always excellant. However the rest of the film was a major let down. A flat performance by Hanks, that turned what was supposed to be a good man doing bad things into a man who doesn't give a stuff what he does. A flat 2 dimensional character for Pheonix to play a random psycho, and a predictable ending.

Haven't seen Bowling For Columbine, but I already know it's not a doc. It's a work of propaganda, and while I would agree with the films themes, a true doc. would have shown both sides of the argument.
    Last edited by ZUBi; 07-15-2003 at 04:00 PM.

Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    A flat 2 dimensional character for Pheonix to play a random psycho
    Phoenix? River Phoenix?
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    SAME GOES TO U tisoy. -- MOD ZUBi.
    at least be happy i replied
    Last edited by ZUBi; 07-15-2003 at 04:02 PM.

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    at least be happy i replied
    Oh believe me I am. I want everyones top 10 of 2002, and I was hoping I could rely on you.

It's just kind of annoying to be asked, where are all the drama's when I chose the films taht I enjoyed, mostly because they had a point to make. Wanted to highlite that you don't like anime, or most cartoons. That you dislike the Harry Potter movies, and so by cutting out such a large portion of great material by default, telling me to watch more drama's is just a little biased.

BTW just what in the hell do you have against GONY?
    Originally posted by chizzace
    Phoenix? River Phoenix?
    Opps that was a typo, I meant Jude Law.

Credits
    where in this thread did i say any of those movies u mentioned are bad? i never said anything they are bad...

i said they are not maybe top 10, but certainly not bad.. and they are surely very well made movies... .. i like all those movies u mentioned, but they are not on my top 10

Credits
    i'm working on my list, it it will take me some time, i'll post it here by the end of week (hopefully)
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    out of competition:

very good movie and definetly and interesting theater going experience, but this is somehow too extreme to rate. it would earn a high score, but i don't think that i'll watch this movie in it's entirety in the next few years again. i'd still recommend it though.

10:

ok, now you've got something to bash me i'll admit that goldmember is not a very intelligent movie, but this movie has two of my favorite comedic scenes. the opening sequence and the "in disguise talk" with nathan lane. highly rewatchable.

9:

i've never read the books and didn't like the first movie very much, but "chamber of secrets" is very entertaining, not only for kids. i guess a result of the pretty dark atmosphere.

8:

great science fiction film. the first "real" sci-fi i've seen since contact. nice story (with plenty of plot holes) and great special effects. although i always thought that the interior of max von sydow's home is very unrealistic. i'll be about his age in 50 years and i don't think that i or any other person my age i know will own a house that looks like his in the movie

7:

very interesting romance flick. very unusual, but that somehow makes the love story more realistic than the full of kitsch love-stories starring julia roberts or reese witherspoon.

6:

very good movie, especially for a first time feature by a music star. good performances, solid direction and very entertaining rap sequences.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    5:

great comedy! the only real complaint that i have is the change from nirvana's "about a girl" to mystikal's "shake ya a'ss". oh another complaint: the german subtitle "der tag der toten ente"

4:

highly entertaining uk film. it has likeable characters and handles minorities in a more appropiate way than most us-movies with a similar subject do. bend it like beckham isn't full of clichees and is imo a much better "foreign-culture" comedy than "my big fat greek wedding".

3:

the first horror movie that i liked in a very long time. fantastic atmosphere and overall look of the film. somehow it's style over substance, but at least it has style.

2:

best disney film since aladdin. cute characters and nice drawing, although i still don't see where the budget of 80 million $ went (according to imdb). although i like all of the pixar films, i still prefer traditional animation, as no other cgi-movie really entertained me.

1:

i could almost say the same as with the ring, but this movie has style AND substance combined with a brilliant performance by robin williams. i still don't understand he wasn'T even nominated at the golden globes or the oscar's. i always liked mark romanek's style in his music videos, so my expectations for this movie were really high, but the movie managed to come up to them.
    Last edited by streetpreacher; 07-16-2003 at 04:03 PM.

Credits
    Updated my list. Nicholas Nickleby was released here recently, making it the last 2002 film to get a UK release, and it's one of the best films of that year.