Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Post quick time ongoing problems,can anyone help me out?

hi there, i was hoping that someone may be able to help me out(long time browser, first time poster), basically i am unable to play hi res or full screen versions of any quick time trailers either streaming via a website or downloaded to hard disc. this is a problem that i know a few of you guys have experienced when quick time updated there software from v.3 to v.4 etc, the way i have got around it is to obviously just down load low res or med res versions of files or the windows media version of a given file but realy i want to try and get back to how it used to be before i changed to quicktime v.5.0.2, i have tried to keep upto date with the many updates and so forth that microsoft released when certain internet explorer browsers were causing conflicts with the new version of quick time(or something along those lines) but it has been about a year since we had broadband installed and i dont feel that we are getting the best of it as most of the heavy downloading is trailers and film files, short films, music etc. i wont post any redundant info with regard to system etc until some one thinks thay can help me out and they need to know specifics. any help would be most appreciated.

jonathan

Credits

Lightbulb

Mate, get Quicktime Pro. This will solve all yr probs.

Credits

can be of your video card. What type is it?
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits

mischa, would quick time pro do any thing as i was able to play all high res and full screen versions before i upgraded to v.5.0.2?

borg prophet, video card is hercules dynamite tnt 16mb, driver v.4.0, the same card i have had since i bought it(march 99) and which played all files i downloaded until i updated the quick time software.

jonathan

Credits

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Jonathan Simpson:
    <strong>mischa, would quick time pro do any thing as i was able to play all high res and full screen versions before i upgraded to v.5.0.2? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This lock-out of non QT-pro users to play hi-res or fullscreen versions just begun lately (LucasFilm and other p****s), so it's quite a possibility that this is the problem.

Credits

mischa, the files themselves will load no problem(if streaming) or download to hardisc with no problems at all, its just when you come to play them i never get the quick time broken file error(picture of quick time file broken in half) but the file will sometimes play sound but almost never video that is watchable (very jerky image, sound available pretty much on all high res files but without image it is a bit pointless, do you think?) as i have said in the previous posts i never ever had this trouble with earlier versions of quick time, with the exact same spec system as i have had from day one of owning (march 99).

joanthan

Credits

QuickTime is very CPU intensive. With the update to QuickTime 5 this also ment the update of a new video codec. Sorenson Video 3 is used for QuickTime 5 and is A LOT more CPU intensive then Sorenson Video 2 (which was used for QuickTime 4).

It might be that your computer is too slow to view the new high res and fullscreen trailers.

What kind of computer do you have?

Also, check to make sure DirectX Acceleration is on in your QuickTime preferrences.

In QuickTime, go to "Edit, Preferrences, QuickTime Preferrences." In the dropdown menu choose "Video Settings." Make sure "Options" is selected. In the options, make sure "Enable DCI" "Enable DirecDraw' and "Enable DirectDraw Acceleration" are all selected. If you're only running QuickTime one one monitor, deselect "Enable DirectDraw on Secondary Monitors." (It actually does speed things up a little).

To speed things up a bit more, I find that choosing your basic "wavOut" option under "SoundOut" is usually faster then DirectSound.

Hope this helps.

Guiboche

Credits

this problem so much sounds like a video card problem. I had a 16MB voodoo3 before and it worked but others had problems. Most probably its software, but don't rule out hardware. Some problems... u just can't resolve so don't figure it out and go around it.

Credits

I had a problem with my system trying to play QT files also. The picture was very jerky, etc. Bought a new motherboard/processor and 3D accellerator (new computer) and no more problems.