quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, whose most recent film "Amelie" was a worldwide success, has signed a deal to write and direct the French-language feature film "Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles" ("A Very Long Engagement") for Warner Bros. Pictures, it was announced today by Alan Horn, President & Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros., and Richard Fox, Executive Vice President, International, Warner Bros.

The film is based on Sebastien Japrisot's French novel telling of a woman's relentless search for the truth about the disappearance of her fiancée, believed to have been one of five soldiers court-martialed then taken to their own front line and left for the enemy. The book won France's literary Prix Interallia in 1991 and became a bestseller in France and abroad.

"We're excited to be working on such an esteemed project with a writer and director of Jean-Pierre's stature," said Horn. "This is such a compelling human drama that we're sure this film, like the book, will appeal to audiences universally."

"I've been waiting for this moment for over ten years," said Jeunet. "Japrisot's novel is a fabulous story about love, hope and willpower. I can reread the ending ten times in a row and each time I cry! From this moment on, I promise to do all in my ability to do justice to this masterpiece." "We are honoured to be working with Jean-Pierre," said Fox. "This latest project fits nicely with our strategy to increase our production, acquisition and distribution of local-language films outside of the US."

Jeunet most recently wrote (with Guillaume Laurant) and directed the Oscar nominated "Amelie," (which was honoured as the European Film of the Year and earned Jeunet European Director of the Year). His previous films include "Alien: Resurrection," co-directing (with Marc Caro) "The City of Lost Children" and the Cesar-winning "Delicatessen," and the shorts "Foutaises," "Pas de Repos Pour Billy Brakko" and "Le Bunker de la Derniere Rafale." (co-directed with Marc Caro).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Un Long Dimanche De Fiancailles (2003)
http://romanticmovies.about.com/lib...gagmentnews.htm
quote:
Five desperate men shoot themselves in order to be relieved from the horrifying frontline at the Somme, in WWI. A court-martial decides to punish them by leaving them alone in no-man's land, to be killed in the crossfire. Then all hell breaks loose and they all die. Or not? One of these men's fiancée, a young girl who can't walk since age 3, receives information that makes her suspect his boyfriend might have gotten away alive. So she embarks in a painful, long and often frustrating ordeal to find out the truth.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0344510