Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Highly Acclaimed Academy Award Movies That You disliked

i thought it would be interesting to see what Oscar winning, or highly acclaimed Academy movies people thought were real lemons?

Personally, I thought "The English Patient", was a real overblown snoozer

and more recent movies that should not have won or have gotten any hype from Oscars

A Beautiful Mind
    The Hours
    Shakespeare in Love ... i dunno what was sooo good about that movie....

This list could go on and on and on. I will say this though: I enjoyed every single Best Picture winner of the 1970s - Kramer vs. Kramer, The Deer Hunter, Annie Hall, Rocky, Cuckoo's Nest, Godfather II, The Sting, Godfather, French Connection and Patton. Who said the 70's never gave us anything?
    Last edited by trailergod; 07-17-2003 at 07:04 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    i agree with a beautiful mind and shakespeare in love, they were somehow good, but not great and i really don't see why ron howard won an award for direction. imo all other 4 director nominees in 2002 deserved it more.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    Beautiful Mind
    Chicago (the hours was ROBBED!)
    "They took the sky, but we're still flyin..."

Movieman's DVDanswers.com Review Page

Credits
    I never liked Kramer vs Kramer either...

I didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I loved the book. I loved HAL. I loved the ending. But the rest of the movie just seemed SOO damn slow. The only thing that kept me up was the thought "wtf? This is suppost to be one of the movies you must see! It's bound to pick up any second right?"

Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus
    "wtf? This is suppost to be one of the movies you must see! It's bound to pick up any second right?"
    I thought the exact same thing about that movie.

Other movies that were critically acclaimed that I didn't like:

Dead Poet's Society
    Fellowship of the Ring (sorry to all fans of the movie, I just couldn't get into it and haven't forced myself to see the second one)

I'm sure there are others, but that is all that comes to mind for the moment.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Originally posted by corfy

Dead Poet's Society
    Fellowship of the Ring (sorry to all fans of the movie, I just couldn't get into it and haven't forced myself to see the second one)
    i totally forgot those 2 (three incl the two towers).
    dead poet's society was a boring and cheesy kitsch movie containing some of the most stereotype characters i've ever seen in a so called intelligent movie like that.
    and besides the technical aspects i think the lotr films are overrated. maybe it's because i'm generally not into fantasy stuff, but i somehow was bored during the theater visit

Credits
    Originally posted by Movieman
    Beautiful Mind
    Chicago (the hours was ROBBED!)

why does everybody cheer for these drab and boring films? THE HOURS is the most pathetic film i have ever seen.

and dont get me started on that musical CHICAGO, how that win awards????? musicals are past their use by date, maybe back in the B&W days, but not now, not anymore.

Credits
    Musicals are timeless, and its good to see them making a comeback. That said, Chicago shouldn't have won and The Pianist should've. Moulin Rouge should've won. Beautiful Mind was a boring pile of rubbish.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    I disagree about a beautiful mind - i think it was a great movie. as for stupid movies I'd say the English patient was the worst choice. I was really pissed off about last year becasue basicall ALL movies nominated were better movies thatn Chicago in hte Best Picture category. Best Picture usaully goes to movies that are BOTH well made and highly poplular, the pianist (best director, best actor) and gangs of NY, were both better

Credits
    I have some serious problems with criticizing A Beautiful Mind or Dead Poets' Society. While I am a huge LOTR fan, and of course would of had no problem with them winning best picture, in my mind there could have been no better replacement than A Beautiful Mind. I thought the movie had wonderful acting from all sides, and just and amazing and captivating story. You couldn't have asked for a better job by Russell Crowe, and Jennifer Connelly really brought some life to what seems to be an absolute "one-man show." Honestly, what else should of won? Moulin Rouge? That dry, drastically overdone musical? Or Monster's Ball? While I certainly agree that Halle berry did at least a fair job in acting, I found myself thinking the movie just completely laked in any substance....

Now, as for Dead Poets' Society I am even more shocked and confused. How do you not like this money? Robin Williams does a wonderful job creating his character and a catalyst for the other boys. And since does the fact that something is stereotypical or perhaps even common make it a bad character? This movie is meant to discuss the problems of these teenage boys at the time. If anything, focusing on more common and prevalent problems make the story easier to relate, and there is certainly no problem with the depth of the actors themselves. Just because one of the boys doesn't have some unique problem like a sexual teddy bear fetish doesn't make their struggles "not real." And as to it being cheesy... of course it is in its own regard. ANY movie that has the ability to inspire and touch our everyday lives can be made fun of in some way. Just all depends on what you bring to it.

Credits
    Originally posted by maxfschr1
    there could have been no better replacement than A Beautiful Mind. I thought the movie had wonderful acting from all sides, and just and amazing and captivating story. You couldn't have asked for a better job by Russell Crowe, and Jennifer Connelly really brought some life to what seems to be an absolute "one-man show." Honestly, what else should of won? Moulin Rouge? That dry, drastically overdone musical? Or Monster's Ball? While I certainly agree that Halle berry did at least a fair job in acting, I found myself thinking the movie just completely laked in any substance....
    i don't have anything against russell crowe and jennifer connelly getting the oscar, but i wouldn't call "a beautiful mind" the best movie of 2001. especially giving the directing oscar to ron howard is a thing i can't understand.
    and yes, i think that moulin rouge should have won. of course it's eye-candy and kitsch, but i think it is well made and at least baz luhrman put some creativity in it. the film has also fantastic editing and great cinematography.

Now, as for Dead Poets' Society I am even more shocked and confused. How do you not like this money? Robin Williams does a wonderful job creating his character and a catalyst for the other boys. And since does the fact that something is stereotypical or perhaps even common make it a bad character? This movie is meant to discuss the problems of these teenage boys at the time. If anything, focusing on more common and prevalent problems make the story easier to relate, and there is certainly no problem with the depth of the actors themselves. Just because one of the boys doesn't have some unique problem like a sexual teddy bear fetish doesn't make their struggles "not real." And as to it being cheesy... of course it is in its own regard. ANY movie that has the ability to inspire and touch our everyday lives can be made fun of in some way. Just all depends on what you bring to it.
    sorry, but imo it's only okay for a summer blockbuster to have stereotypical characters, but not for an acclaimed movie like this. i don't expect the characters to have strange sexual fantasies, but for me the character's didn't offer anything interesting. especially scenes like one of them standing in front of the open window in a jesus like pose before killing himself was definetly too much. sometimes i like movies that touch me, but not in the way dead poet's society did. a movie should touch in a more subtle way. to me it seems the only intention dead poet's society has is to make some people cry in the theatre, this is not enough for me. imo it's an example of a movie just made to impress critics and get some recognition at award shows.

Credits
    Shakespeare in Love
    Chicago
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!
    [My Top 20 Movies @ YMDB] [My Bottom 20 Movies @ YMDB]

Credits
    Ben Hur
    2001 A Space Odyseey
    Road To Perdition (I liked it, but it was described as the next Godfather, which it wasn't even close to being)

Credits
    Anything Stanley Kubrick did except the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Cool Hand Luke come to mind...

Credits
    Originally posted by HamishT
    why does everybody cheer for these drab and boring films? THE HOURS is the most pathetic film i have ever seen.

and dont get me started on that musical CHICAGO, how that win awards????? musicals are past their use by date, maybe back in the B&W days, but not now, not anymore.
    Uhm. Musicals are as important now as ever, especially with the revival brought about by Moulin Rouge. Chicago more than deserved to win Best Picture.

Back to the thread, I would have to say Gladiator is the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.
    At the center of the world there is a statue of a girl. She is standing near a well with a bucket bare and dry. I went and looked her in the eyes and she turned me into sand. This clumsy form that I despise scattered easy in her hands. And it came to rest upon a beach, with a million others there. We sat and waited for the sea to stretch out so that we could disappear into the endlessness of blue, into the horror of the truth. We are far less than we knew.

Yes, we are far less than we knew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast