Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 3d - movies

Credits

3d - movies

i started this thread because spy kids 3d opens this week in the usa.
    i just wondered if anybody else here is interested to see it. imo the first one sucked really bad and the trailers for the second one were so bad, that i never want to see it, but somehow this 3d thing interests me.
    i've only seen some 3d movies in entertainment parks and one at an imax theater, so i wonder how this works in a standard theater. the 3d movie i've seen that would come closest to a real movie is captain eo with michael jackson. it's directed by francis ford coppola and produced by george lucas. it's pretty good considering it played at euro-disney, i'd even buy it on dvd if they would release it someday
    usually those glasses they hand out already annoy me after a couple of minutes, so a 90 minutes movie may be very exhausting
    has anybody seen the 3d parts of jaws, friday the 13th or nightmare on elm street?
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    I've seen Jaws 3D ... It wasn't that bad... but 3D was not that impressive, maybe boecuse of warn out print (we get some pretty lousy prints 15+ years ago .... former comunist country with low standards and low on money). I think it was pretty OK for first time 3D impression, second 3D movie I saw was only two years ago... Imax 3D - Living sea and some movie with Elvira.
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!
    [My Top 20 Movies @ YMDB] [My Bottom 20 Movies @ YMDB]

Credits
    I remember watching a couple of back-and-white 3D movies on TV when I was a kid. It was usually bad horror films that they converted into 3D. I think one was "The Swamp Thing," or something similar to that. The only scene I remember is a person with what appeared to be a cattle prod swimming underwater toward the camera, and the prod seemed to come straight out of the TV and missed me by inches.

Another movie was about a large ape, but it wasn't King Kong. I don't remember what it was, I just remember not being impressed.

And yes, I too enjoyed the Captain Eo thing. Probably the only thing with Micheal Jackson that I did enjoy after the album Thriller.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Originally posted by BuDi
    second 3D movie I saw was only two years ago... Imax 3D - Living sea and some movie with Elvira.
    lol, i saw that elvira movie too
    best part was the short sequence from terminator 3d. i'd love to see that one, i guess this could be great fun, but afaik it's only shown in the usa at the universal studios.

Credits
    I remember at a theme park there were these glasses we used...they were more like sunglasses then those red and blue paper ones.

The movie seemed more like a demo showing what they could do with the things. Mostly sports...snowboarding while snow crystals fly by you...surfing etc.

But I'm guessing those paper blue and red glasses are pretty standard? I'll have to see what people think about it first. If the 3D is impressive then it might be fun.

Credits
    i think today those that look like sunglasses are standard and not the traditional blue/red glasses.
    afaik you can use them with every movie/scene that has the camera moving in a horizontal way. one glass is darker than the other, so one eye gets the information a split-second later and therefore creates the 3d-effect. that's why it only works in a horizontal way.
    i think i read that in a tv magazine some time ago.

Credits
    Originally posted by streetpreacher
    i think today those that look like sunglasses are standard and not the traditional blue/red glasses.
    Absolutely. I bought a pair when they're showing 'Dial M For Murder' in 3D, and the glasess and monochromic, not blue and red.

(Frankly 'Dial M for Murder' isn't really the 3-D material, cos thru out the entire movie there's only one shot that the 3-D FX really stands out. They have intermission in between. I guess they have to cos your eyes will be sore half-way thru the flick and your head aches trying to diguest the wordy dialogues.)

I do wanna check out Spy Kids 3. Been too busy to check out SK2 when it came out even though I wanted to (even though I heard it sucks).

And I've seen cyberworld in IMAX 3-D mainly for 'Homer3'. I do wanna check out Space Station 3-D though.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Matrix Reloaded is still in IMAX here in Berlin, i have lots of time this summer maybe i should see it, how is 2d Imax compared to 3d?

also maybe Space Station 3D.. that would be interesting
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Originally posted by tisoy
    Matrix Reloaded is still in IMAX here in Berlin, i have lots of time this summer
    same here! i'm gonna see it in a couple of weeks or so... it will be playing at the imax here until the beginning of november
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    that sucks, just read that on imdb:

"[...]Dave Kehr in the New York Times says that the red/green cardboard glasses are particularly annoying: "The tinted filters severely compromise the colors of the film itself, diminishing Mr. Rodriguez's habitually vivid color scheme to a dim gray-green mass.[...]"

why did they choose red/green glasses? this way viewing this movie for 90 minutes is really annoying. everything will look red and green, what a great idea

Credits
    Saw SK3-D today. The 3-D is a neat gimmick, but it does severely hamper the film's colour scheme. It is used to neat effect occasionally, but for the most part things are moving too quickly to get the same sense of "pop" that the better 3d bits have. Is the movie worth seeing? I enjoyed it. It's a neat thing to see once, and there's enough cameos and jokes to help the time pass. And a couple scenes are just brilliantly funny.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    3D movies are a curse

No great movie would be better if it was in 3D, you just can't separate the background from hte character

I think 3D is great for them parks and maybe occasionla IMAX (something like GHosts of hte Abyss) but normal movies wouldn't be good in 3D

Credits
    last October I saw a special screening of Friday the 13th 3 in 3-D but the print was so out of date, it only took up a quarter of the screen. But the 3-D was neat.

Spy Kids was ok in 3-d, it was Sly Stallone who stole the show.
    Whatcha Gonna Do!?