Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Talking "May"

Credits

Talking "May"

i just watched may on dvd and i must say i wasn't that impressed as i hoped for. well the trailer promised to much as mark wrote in his post for the international trailer that may is what donnie darko was last year i have to disagree. donnie darko was much better. may felt somehow flat and the film wasn't surprising at all. i've saw what will come the film had it's moments (the eye scene was kinda funny) but never really played it's potential. too bad

rating: 2/5
    Last edited by bender; 08-08-2003 at 06:29 PM.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Wink

agree with U bender. from my side it was 3 out of 5 & that means (also from my side): so so, but watchable

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    yeah, told u Bender.. nothing great about the movie MAY, IMO its damn boring movie..

i was expecting something special but instead we got a very predictable plot and a very weak performance from the actors.... very WEAK acting...

i told u to see these movies.. but no.. u got so excited about MAY... :p

Dirty Pretty Things (2002)

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)

October Sky (1999)

no way is MAY a Donnie Darko, Donnie Darko is one of the most original sci-fi, drama movies i have ever seen for a long time... !!!
    Last edited by trailergod; 08-08-2003 at 06:02 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    May could have been good, but the makers really blew it. They never made May a sympathetic character, only weird. So as the story went by there was no link between the character and audience, and so removing any feelings for May.
    I'de give it a 1 1/2. could have been worse, but overall they just focused too much on the story and way too little on the character, which u just cant do in a movie like this.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Originally posted by Gaumont
    May could have been good, but the makers really blew it. They never made May a sympathetic character, only weird. So as the story went by there was no link between the character and audience, and so removing any feelings for May.
    Took the words right out of my mouth
    I saw it two nights ago and I was SO disapointed. (It was suppost to be "scary" so the girls I was with would be scared and hold themselves close to me )

The idea...was AMAZING. You could have made a very good horror flick about the idea. Cutting people up and taking their best parts...

Besides what Gaumont mentioned...here are some of my problems with the movie

1. May never even got enough parts to make a full human. If they had started sooner into the film then she might have been able to collect everything. That really sucked.

2. The glass. The glass box the doll was in started cracking on it's own. As a metaphor for May's mental state? When it shattered she would lose it. Then the blind kids go and destory that because she doesn't start killing until long after it breaks. Infact her first kill seems almost by accident, in a fit of rage.

3. The eye scene WAS funny. Since May never seemed likable and just weird it was funny to see her stab herself and pull her eye out.

4. The VERY end. It is unclear if she passed out from pain, fell asleep or died from loss of blood or something. So we don't even know what happens to her. And then "Amy" starts stroking her hair?! Please tell me that was some kind of dream or hallucination because that was retarded.

5. Slow moving. I would have liked a montoge of teasing as May grows up, throw the doll in there, and something that makes us FEEL for her. Then when she acts weird, we overlook it a little and she's a character we understand.

6. (And this is a huge one) They go to great lengths to show that May is socially inept, awkward and just plain can't deal with people. Suddenly, with no reason, she acts somewhat normal. she can talk to people, approch people and then kill them without thinking about it or acting awkward. WHAT?!

horrible. I was hoping for something decent