Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Texting blamed for summer movie flops

News Independent has a very good story, that the Movie Industry now blames texting as a the reason for the lack of visitors in "high quality movies" like Terminator 3, Charlies Angles or the great Hulk.

The problem, they say, is teenagers who instant message their friends with their verdict on new films - sometimes while they are still in the cinema watching - and so scuppering carefully crafted marketing campaigns designed to lure audiences out to a big movie on its opening weekend.
    Read more

Five years ago, when summer movies were arguably just as bad as they are now, the average audience drop-off between a film's opening weekend and its second weekend was 40 per cent. This summer, it has been 51 per cent. In some cases, the drop-off has started between the film's opening on a Friday night and the main screenings on Saturday. The upshot: unsuccessful films disappearing from cinemas so fast that there is no time for second opinions.
    http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...icle&sid=13947

Damn phones are ruining the movie industry.

"high quality movies" like Terminator 3, Charlies Angles

Credits
    It is true. Hollywood will blame anything. Anyway, you're told not to use your phone during a movie - it'll annoy people. Terminator 3 is a high quality movie, but Charlie's Angels? They're clearly talking out of their arse.

Credits
    heh. I usually form my own opinion about a movie without my friends. But if they say that something I wasn't sure about was actually very good or horrible, that will sway me.

Credits
    lol yea blame the phones not that the movie sucks.

I can see the studio bosses talking
    "damn, we cant sell the crappy movies anymore, the damn kids are actually telling eachother that it sucks"
    "yea, im my days we see a movie no matter how bad it was. what is the world comming to?"
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    T3 is not a high quality movie, its utter crap

Credits
    LOL....now that is funny ! hollywood blaming cell phones. and who did they talk to that said T3 and Charlie's Angels were "high quality" movies...?? Nemo and Pirates, that is high quality. T3 and Chucks ??? no, that is low quality...my sister can do better than that....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I'm in movie depression - I haven't seen anything good since Gladiator

Credits
    i quite liked t3 and will buy it when it comes out.. i think girlfriends influence me more than txt.. i mean i dont want to see finding nemo. .i think it looks crap.. im willing to bet its not at all funny.. but she is draggin me along to it.. i could get a million sms's telling me how good/bad it is.. wont make a lick of difference i am still being dragged to it.. so there you go hollywood.. make movies that girls have to drag their poor boyfriends too.. and you will make more $$$... and charlies angels.... i saw enough from the trailer to know it was going to be ****..

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Stormwalker should work in marketing

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Wink

Originally posted by Stormwalker
    and charlies angels.... i saw enough from the trailer to know it was going to be ****
    exactly

about this thread: real guilty one to blame is: INTERNET ! :big grin:

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    Originally posted by ZUBi
    about this thread: real guilty one to blame is: INTERNET ! :big grin:
    Actually, no, because as Bart Simpson says, our talk doesn't matter and we are all just an angry bunch of nerds.

Credits
    I think that the decline in movies is because there are so many crappy movies...Charlies Angels 2 was basically cashing in on the 1sts success, The Hulk was sheers bollucks with a dodgy ending, Tomb Raider 2 failed I think mainly because the first movie was so poor that nobody risked wasting their money on the 2nd...

Also the other problem is that too mnay movies are trying to be gigantic blockbusters, they all have rediculas budgets for CGI etc so that unless the movie makes well over 200mill the movie has crashed...we need more good movies with good scripts and not nesseserily amazing CGI..Hence why I look forward to Kill Bill so very much...

Credits
    funny you should mention that marcus.. cause i finish my bachelor in multimedia this year.. and i am doing a marketing degree afterwards