Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Programmin help pleeeze

I need to be doin a computin coursewrk where i gota either use Pascal, Java or VB, (its mainly gona b database work) but have to use dem programs, was wonderin if ane of u guys kno ane good websites wid good tutorials for beginners...or where i could download sum video tutorials for it.......im mainly thinkin bout doin VB...........was just wonderin if u guys new nethin...ne help would be much appreciated

Credits
    Well unless u guys are using delpi (which uses Pascal), VB is the best choise for database programming of those above. And if ur a beginner as I assume u are, its a good choise as it got easy to make GUIs.

I dont know any sites for this actually. I really recomend that u get a book. The sams books (for example) are easy to get started with. However if u dont want to do that, a simple "tutorial visual basic 6" (or .net dont know which u'll be using) on google should get u a lot of hits. Reason why i dont got 1 for u is that I dont use full tutorials online, i just search for specific things i want to learn about.

VB is easy and fun, and if u guys do database stuff, u'll have to learn all the basics first, so afterwards u should be able to make stand alone progs in VB. If u want, talk to me on MSN, i may have some stuff u'll find usefull.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    I just remembered a good book for u. Its a VB (6) book for beginners, and its all about making GUIs for a database.

For me its a tad to basic, as it goes though all the basic stuff that Ive learned from other programming languages. But it was a good book to get started with VB with. I can really recoment it for a beginner.
    Amazon

Credits
    thanks alot dude..im puttin dat book on order wid sum other stuff aswell, like sum cds tutorials aswell, da reason why im huntin for stuff online is that, my teachers made sum big mess ups...especially when one of em left...everything was in shambles, and basically its all backfiring on the students..and to keep on track, i gota try n get to grips wid da basics within a matter of days.... but dont get me wrong...thanks alot for the book link..cuz it will come in handy loads for once im up n runnin wid da basics
    anemore links and advises are welcome

(thanks alot Gaumont..book must b darn good...cuz a mate of myn just sed that his heard that book is good aswell)
    Last edited by aS!Dz; 08-24-2003 at 12:23 PM.

Credits
    i just started java programming class last thursday, so i'm not an expert..... just yet.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    well if any of you need help contact me on MSN. I might not be able to help, but ive worked with with both VD and Java so I can atleast try and help =)

Credits
    I'm pretty good with doing basic dBase stuff in Pascal, but I'm a total noob when it comes to VBasic.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Originally posted by blugh
    I'm pretty good with doing basic dBase stuff in Pascal, but I'm a total noob when it comes to VBasic.

ive not definetly chosen VB yet..so i could still plan to do Pascal which is prety much my back up plan...so ne help/website links and stuff like dat is welcome even if it seems like its a common website...please let me kno..cuz im just hopin to find stuff i myt have missed out on

Credits
    I had three semester courses in college working with PASCAL, but I haven't touched it since, so I have forgotten most of it. I learned the basics of BASIC way back when I was in junior high, but I forgot that a long time ago. I bought myself "SAMS Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 Hours," and it looks like a good book, but ironically, I haven't had 24 hours to sit down with it. I also have a book that supposedly teaches C in 21 days (that book is at home and I don't remember the title or publisher) but I haven't done that either. I think I got to day 3, and then got caught up on other things.

I am to the point now where I can usually adapt a VB script or java script that does something similar to what I want to something that I want, although I would be lost if I had to write one from scratch.

As far as working with databases, MSQL works mainly with Visual Basic scripts. At least, the MSQL database here at work uses VBScripts (see note above about adapting scripts). Other than that, I have no idea.

I have been told that PASCAL isn't used much "in the real world" except as a good language to use to teach computer programming, so unless you know you will need to know PASCAL, you might be better off going with Visual Basic. I'm not sure how well Java works with databases, all I really know about java is it adds functions to webpages.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection