Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Exorcist: The Beginning ... not enough gore - director fired

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

Gossip column Page Six writes that director Paul Schrader has been unceremoniously dumped from The Exorcist: The Beginning because he didn't put in enough blood, guts and vomit. Schrader was hired last year to direct the horror movie by Morgan Creek Films, which has a distribution deal with Warner Bros. The film, starring Stellan Skarsgard, Gabriel Mann and Francesca Barone, was shot in Rome and Morocco.

One production source told PAGE SIX, "[Morgan Creek] was just so excited with having a marquee name, they didn't bother with the details."

"The whole movie is done," another source said. "When Paul went to turn it in, Morgan Creek refused to give him his post-production money because they hated it. Paul had given them what was in the script - a creepy psychological thriller, with no gore.

"Morgan Creek wanted gore. They think that will sell. There were huge fights between Paul, who is more artistic, and the company, and earlier this week Paul was fired. They are planning on hiring a new director to reshoot some scenes."

The production source added: "They'll probably have the new director shoot a couple of [gory] scenes. Paul is a great filmmaker; there was just something different Morgan Creek had in mind.
    geez.. IMO a movie with less blood and gore but more creepy psychologically is more effective
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Morgan Creek are bloody idiots. Did the original have that much gore?

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    Morgan Creek are bloody idiots. Did the original have that much gore?
    Well if you consider the crucifix mastubration scene...

Then again, all movie studios execs are idiots... no I correct myself, all executive management people in any industry are idiots, with no idea of how whatever industry they're in works, and knows nothing other than power lunches and pointless meetings.
    Last edited by editman; 08-25-2003 at 06:07 PM.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    from thedigitalbits.com

" In other news, Variety is reporting that Morgan Creek head James Robinson is lobbying to get Warner Bros to release Paul Schrader's never-before-seen, original version of Exorcist: The Beginning on DVD, as a possible bonus item on (or as a simultaneous release with) Renny Harlin's final version. Harlin's Exorcist: The Beginning is already set to be released into theaters on 8/20. Schrader's version was reportedly scrapped by Warner because it wasn't scary enough. Schrader, however, maintains that he delivered exactly the film the studio asked for, but that the studio later changed their minds. The dual DVD release would be a way to resolve the "the contractual issues of his [Schrader] being owed a preview and an official screening." It would also avoid possible Directors Guild of America credit arbitration on Harlin's version. There's no comment yet from Warner or the DGA"
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    lol, first it was not enough gore now it seems it was too much

from davisdvd:
    In related news, CaptainHowdy.com reports that the MPAA will hand the upcoming Exorcist: The Beginning with an NC-17 rating, due to graphic violence. Production company Morgan Creek and Warner Bros will try to appeal the decision, but in all likelihood the offending scenes will be snipped to secure an R-rating. If so, the DVD likely will feature not only these and other deleted scenes, but the original Paul Schrader-directed version of the film as well.

Credits
    This thing is just too funny. Talk about going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Credits
    Am I the only one who thinks an NC-17 rating might actually HELP the movie? Granted kids won't get in (at some theaters)... but I think these days, more people would want to go see the movie to see what all the controversy is about. Look how well 'unrated' and 'uncut' DVD's sell, and look what happened to Kill Bill... we haven't seen a major release NC-17 movie in years... studios don't know what they're doing.

Hell, on second thought, what is the POINT of an NC-17 rating?? No studio ever wants it, and 4 ratings are enough in the first place. NC-17 is the only rating in which kids under 17 can't get in at all, even with a parent. Yet, they have no problems buying or renting an 'unrated' version of a movie on DVD, which is essentially the same thing. Doncha just hate it when this world makes no freakin sense?
    Last edited by Shrubz; 08-01-2004 at 10:36 AM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strube
    Doncha just hate it when this world makes no freakin sense?
    i agree.
    i can't understand what the problem with nc-17 movies is and why it's not allowed to advertise them
    the rating is comparable to fsk18 in germany and there are "many" movies that are rated 18 and get a normal cinematic release but are still pretty succesful (hannibal, kill bill, fight club, blade 1+2, ...). hannibal even broke an opening record on a weekend where two movies opened with more than 1 million viewers.
    i think the situation of exorcist in the usa is comparable to hannibal in germany. for weeks there were news reports everywhere how gruesome and bloody the movie would be and the movie had an impressive opening.

Credits
    Good news surrounding Paul Schrader's original version!!

There's big news in the world of horror and thriller films.

Paul Schrader's "Exorcist" prequel, officially titled "Paul Schrader's Exorcist: The Beginning," may finally be released. Until last week, the $35 million film, completed in 2003, had been buried in the Warner Brothers vaults.

Schrader is the famed writer of Martin Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull," as well as "American Gigolo." He also is the director of great indie films such "Affliction" and "Auto Focus."

Schrader was hired by Morgan Creek Productions in 2002 to make a prequel to "The Exorcist." His movie featured respected actor Stellan Skarsgård and had lots of buzz.

But when Morgan Creek's owner, James Robinson, saw that it was a cerebral thriller that lacked spewing vomit and rotating heads, he killed the movie.

Enter Renny Harlin, the hack director and ex-husband of Geena Davis .

For another $35 million, Harlin completely re-shot the movie, tossing in as many "Exorcist"-like clichés as possible. Some of the cast, including Skarsgård, reprised their roles.

The film was mostly panned by critics, made $40 million domestically, about the same internationally, and finally broke even.

Last week, however, Schrader took a gamble. He showed his version at the Brussels Fantasy Film Festival. He and the cast all showed up — on their own dime, since no studio now identifies itself with the movie.

The bet worked. Critics wrote admiring reviews. Variety, in particular, sang Schrader's praises: "Schrader's intelligent, quietly subversive pic emphasizes spiritual agony over horror ecstasy, while paying occasional lip service to the need for scares ... Schrader has delivered a 100 percent Paul Schrader film, drenched in the spiritual and moral angst that's watermarked his career."

The payoff is that Morgan Creek and Warner Brothers are going to release "Paul Schrader's Exorcist: The Beginning," in the next two months.

It's an unprecedented move. The production company hates the film so much that instead of releasing it, re-shoots it. Then it makes another, really bad, film. But it's forced to release the original when critics applaud it.

"I never want to have to go through anything like this again," Warner Brothers' David Robinson — James' son — said to me the other day.

He could not really say what happened. But sources tell me his father, who calls the shots at Morgan Creek, simply did not appreciate Schrader's approach. He equated "Exorcist" with vomit.

Schrader, who was still abroad when I caught up with him, is philosophical.

"They'll be talking about this in film schools for years to come," he said.

What does he think happened?

"I think it was a case of buyer's remorse," he said. "I made the script I was given. But then they saw it and got nervous; it wasn't right. It was very upsetting."

He credits the idea that Warner Brothers could make some money off releasing a "director's cut" DVD for helping keep his version alive.

"And Internet-based fan clubs," Schrader said. "They never let it die."
    This is amazing! Now I truly can't wait!

This stupid thing is probably what will overturn Morgan Creek. It's not like they had any real big hits anyway.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif