Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Gangs of New York

ok, i just saw it completely for the 1st time, DVD (was a blind buy and i regret it, same as i regret buying Windtalkers 3 disc DVD)

this movie no way deserved the hype and critical praise (did it even have?) it recieved last year.

yeah, it had 10 Oscar Nominations but it did not get any... which IMO is good coz this movie is simply terrible IMO

The movie itself is well made, great sets, and effects but the direction, script and some of the actors got lost somewhere.

Leo is a miscast in this movie, he looks too weak for the role. I think the role is simply too big for him. His facial expressions and his acting was simply awful and fake.

Plot and story, well its a cliche, son sees father die, grows up and finds his fathers killer and then befriends him then kill him in the end. Talk about that killing at the end, how crappy was that? ..

and could someone tell me what the hell is goin on? about the draft and the civil war? i mean its part of the story but its never explained properly, it merely serves as a backdrop of the revenge story, but still its making me confused. How did the mob start in the end, was it the fight between the 2 or was it against the Draft (for what btw, Civil War?, i never heard Civil War in the movie, or did i miss something)

I was expecting something like Braveheart with this movie, but what i got was choppy editing and choppy actions scenes that make me wonder.. how the hell did that happen?

This movie for me is really a disappointment, no way is it near the past works of Scorsese

i'm not gonna go thru 3 hours again just to listen to the commentary... i rather read the replies here
    Last edited by trailergod; 08-26-2003 at 05:58 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    i somehow enjoyed the movie.
    i liked the beginning, especially the first action scene with the peter gabriel song in the background. i also liked the last act of the movie, but although the movie has already been drastically cut before it's theatrical release, i still think the middle part is too long.
    as you mentioned, the movie is well made, but i thought the middle part was just plain boring.
    i didn't expect much, as i thought i wouldn't like it, but i wanted to see it because of all the hype and awards buzz surrounding it, so i wasn't disappointed because my expectations weren't that high
    i'm not sure if scorsese's original cut would be better, as i don't know what he had to take out, but imo the pacing needs a big improvement.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    I dissliked this movie. Dont remember all the reasons now i put it out of my head asap.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    thanks for the spoilers warning....
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    I thought the whole movie tried to hard to be some Oscar Whore and failed...with flying colours might I add...

Credits
    I think this movie was meant to be historically accurate - I agree that Leo sucked int he role but the movie was good. THe reason ur probably dissapointed is that you were hoping for big battles, etc. The riots were due to teh Civil War and Civil War (or rather Lincoln) is mention throughout the movie. As far as I know it was very accurate and it really showed how NY was back then - that was Scorcese's aim

Credits
    that was only his aim after the movie failed