Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Identity alternate/theatrical ending

http://www.imdb.com/Title?0309698
    Release Date: April 25, 2003
    Studio: Columbia Pictures
    Director: James Mangold
    Screenwriter: Michael Cooney, James Mangold
    Starring: John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet, John Hawkes, Jake Busey, John C. McGinley, William Lee Scott, Clea DuVall, Alfred Molina, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Rebecca De Mornay
    Genre: Thriller
    MPAA Rating: R (for strong violence and language)
    Review: 10/10 rating
    Plot Summary: Caught in a savage rainstorm, ten travelers are forced to seek refuge at a strange desert motel. They soon realize they've found anything but shelter. There is a killer among them and, one by one, they are murdered. As the storm rages on and the dead begin to outnumber the living, one thing becomes clear: Each of them was drawn to the motel, not by accident or circumstance, but by forces beyond imagination, forces that promise anyone who survives a mind-bending and terrifying destiny.

to anybody who has seen this movie...

i am not so sure which ending i saw... if it was the theatrical or the alternate
    my version was
    It turns out that none of the characters are 'real,' nor is the hotel. It's all in the mind of a convicted killer named Malcolm Rivers (Pruitt Taylor Vince), who is about to be executed. His psychiatrist (Alfred Molina) belives that he is suffering from multiple personalities, and that Malcolm is currently in a state where the personalities are fighting for survival. Thus the hotel setting, and why different personalities are being picked off. After much mayhem and several gruesome killings, it appears that all of the violent personalities are eradicated, and that only the 'Paris' (Amanda Peet) personality survives. Malcolm Rivers' sentence is commuted when the psychiatrist's theory is apparently proven. However, as Malcolm is being transported to a mental hospital, the child 'Timmy' (Bret Loehr) personality re-appears within Malcom, 'kills' Paris, while at the same time Malcolm chokes the psychiatrist. The van that Malcolm and the psychiatrist are riding in comes to a screeching halt. The last thing we hear is the child voice completely taking over Malcolm's personality, thus solidifying his identity. ..

is the ending in theatres the same?
    Last edited by trailergod; 08-25-2003 at 07:59 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    what is the alternate ending ??? that was what i saw....

good movie btw. i couldn't figure out what was going on until it became obvious. very suspenceful.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    ohhh only noticed today, the alternate ending is on the DVD..

so anybody who has the DVD.. pls be kind to share the ending
    Last edited by trailergod; 08-26-2003 at 08:10 AM.

Credits
    is this a good movie?? is it scary as i hear it is?
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    The alternate ending is exactly the same as stated above. There is about 50 more seconds of violent footage cut, showing the actual murderer killing his victims in the hotel.

Overall, still very very cool. I love this movie. Great storytelling. Very well executed.

--Dan

Credits
    i liked it but it wasnt great. up till the revelation that he is all the characters, its a standard BORING teen horror movie, but with better actors. After that it gets better.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    See, I sorta knew that as soon as I heard that it was just like "The 3" from Adaptation. Ah well.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Now what are you doing going and reading about the surprise ending to this movie? That really wruins it for you. My jaw DROPPED when the movie got to that part. Ugh. You should know better.

Credits
    I want into this film knowing nothing but the trailer, and I spotted the surprise ending a mile off.

Acting was very good, Cusack rocks!!! Style was atmospheric, and it was an interesting watch, but ultimately it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.
    3.5/5

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Lightbulb

Originally posted by carl
    Acting was very good, Cusack rocks!!! Style was atmospheric, and it was an interesting watch, but ultimately it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before. 3.5/5
    totally agree with U carl (& I give movie the same score also)

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    It's true it's not really an alternate ending even though that's what the DVD case says. But when you play the movie you select between Theatrical and Extended - but the ending is basically the same. Both Fullscreen and Widescreen is included on hte DVD and it also has 3 deleted scenes that are pretty good if you liked hte movie.

Credits
    how could you not tell that they were all fake.

i also went into the movie just seeing the trailer and it was cool up to the point when the cops roll in the real escaped convict. before that i was like okay hes not going to make it to his hearing. but once they rolled him in it was obvious to everyone unless you have ADD or something that it was all fake. after that it was like another teen slasher.