Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Ridley Scott on Gladiator 2

First it was Maximus reincarnated, then it was a prequel and finally a completely unrelated story of other gladiators, which may or may not feature Russell Crowe in a cameo role. The rumours for Gladiator 2 have been nothing if not inventive but have done little to offer any hard facts as to what the sequel will hold - even Ridley Scott's return to the director's chair has been unconfirmed.

In an effort to clear all this up, Empire Online tracked down the director who is indeed interested in returning to ancient Rome and he gave us the scoop on what he has planned.

"It's written," he told us, "we've already done quite a lot of work and the draft's in now. The target would be early 2005." Don't expect to see Russell Crowe lose his beer gut for a return any time soon though, Gladiator 2 plans to pick up where the first film left off, shifting the focus considerably. "It's the next generation. Roman history is so exotic that any part of it is really fascinating. History is far more exotic than anything you can dream up. The film will take the next step, which is the son. [Lucilla's] son, Lucius."

No casting decisions have yet been made (though you can bet Connie Nielsen will make an appearance) and Scott insists that the action in Gladiator 2 will take place entirely outside the Coliseum, abandoning the first film's gladiatorial focus. "No, no we can't do that again. We've done that. I wouldn’t' touch gladiators again. I mean, I wouldn't touch the gladiatorial side again, we have to go to the next step." So will the film lean more towards the epic battle that kicked off the original? "No, there will be more politics and praetorians. The parts that are interesting, which always lead to conflict."

Courtesy of Empire Online

So let me get this straight, it's gladiator 2, no russell crowe, the story is about the emporer's nephew, there are no gladiators and there's gonna be less batlles more politics.

EXACTLY HOW IS THIS GLADIATOR 2 THEN!
    "Remember, you are not a salmon"

Credits
    Precisely :-)

Credits

Re: Ridley Scott on Gladiator 2

In a cashcow kind of way
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    This is another unnecessary sequel
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    This is Hollywood. It's GLADIATOR 2 because the name alone will give them 100+ million dollars in the first weekend, even if it was a piece of crap.

Credits

Re: Ridley Scott on Gladiator 2

Originally posted by Gnome
    "No, there will be more politics and praetorians. The parts that are interesting, which always lead to conflict." [/B]
    Someone, please tell me that this isn't going to be another Ben Hur.

Credits
    I don't understand the meaning of this sequel. Gladiator 2? The idea of making a sequel to Gladiator just makes me so angr....

gggGGRRAAAHHHH!!

HULK MAD! HULK SMASH PUNY PRODUCTION!!
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    i believe Gladiator 2 is just a AKA for this film. It will be called something I bet on.

probably something like Soldiers!
    Hmm... I like that!!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Never liked this idea from the start.
    "They took the sky, but we're still flyin..."

Movieman's DVDanswers.com Review Page

Credits
    Have the writer(s) gutted like a fish! (Grinch voice) If you wish to fax me, press 5.

Credits
    I always thought that a prequel involving the Roman legions would be best, or perhaps Maximus' rise to power.