Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

CD Will Get Cheaper To Prevent Illegal Downloads

http://www.golem.de/0309/27275.html

A step in the right direction, I hope others will follow.
    Universal announced that they will drop their prices for CD´s dramaticly to invoke a new market strategy to prevent illegal music downloads and get customers back into the stores, as is reported by german Golem magazine.

"Universal is selling 30 % of the whole CD market in the USA and this is a great position to start this new strategy. We hope, when we drop the prices, that customers will get back into stores and buy more CD´s", told Universal.

CD´s will cost 12,98 USD for musicians like Blink 182, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow, Eminem, 50 Cent and other older artists like ABBA or James Brown, prices will be round about 35 % less than the actual current album prices.
    The new strategy will be go live in Q4 2003. If the price cut´s will also touch the european market, is not known yet.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    about freaking time, ive been saying they should have done this for over 5 years now.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits

Cool

That's amazing news ! The only reason I burned CDs sometimes was because they cost so damn much ! I'm gonna buy more cds now.

Credits
    Step 2: Make good music more often

Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus
    Not necessary. caus if universal lowers their prices, you can be damn sure other labels are gonna lower their prices too. if they wanna keep up with the competition...

Credits
    Originally posted by Marcus
    i agree....if they had paid attention to rising costs earlier and had better original music from good original artists, (not some formula band for the girls under 13 )
    the music industry wouldn't be as bad as it is. they are blaming Kazzaa and other p2p services for their own downfall....

but, i am no more inclined to buy cds now than i was 2 or 3 years ago. i am not above buying single songs for like .99c each...but there is really nothing i want to get from them. they need a better selection.

so until then....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    See the thing is I own.....ONE CD.

And it was a gift to me.
    And it's "Jerry Sienfeild 'I'm Telling You For the Last Time"

Before Kazaa....Before Napster....hell, before I had the internet - I felt no need to purchase a CD.

After Napster....during Kazaa....and a hundred other ways to get my hands on single tunes cheap or FREE.....I *still* feel no need to buy a CD.

They haven't reached me and that's it. I don't see any reason to BUY a CD so even if I CAN'T get access to music I won't. If they can show me something GREAT - not just one song but a whole CD that is great.... then we're talking.

But for me it hasn't come yet.

Credits
    In recent months, I've just gotten really REALLY tired of dial-up's lack of speed, so I just can't be bothered to take the time to download... I usually buy the CD these days, as long as it's good.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Now all we need is Special Editions of DVDS for $4.99 and I'll be able to afford them!