Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    To:

People with their own opinions - I admire you. Protest, go on hunger strikes, whatever makes you happy, I have nothing against you

People who hate America - Go **** yourself!

BTW, all the people that say BUsh is stupid - he went to Harvard and Yale, and while I don't disagree that it was largely due to his father's influence (Bush finished school loooooooooooong before his father was president) he still graduated from those schools, that makes him smarter than anyone here nad a whole lot of people more
    Last edited by Jake; 09-24-2003 at 05:50 PM.

Credits
    LOL... its so funny how some of u guys reacted....LOL... where in this thread did we say anything againstUSA or BUSH ? ... can some one point it out to me..lol it seems some guys are too defensive about nothing..

read again thru the thread, and nobody replied anything about or against USA ...

its been about that funny video clip about some people being interviewed ... and thats it.. lol

but no.. some people reacted as if they have to defend something..lol
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Originally posted by Jake
    People who hate America - Go **** yourself!
    Oh for crying out loud, the other guy is new, he can be forgiven for not knowing how this forum works, but you need to sort yourself out. Do not start this again, noone here is hating America, noone here is hating your precious country that does so much for the world. If we turned on this guy it's because he used the standard crap of "America are great because we saved the world in 2 world wars" making the common mistake that coming into a war 2 years late is winning the war on your own, despite the fact that it still took another 2 years for war to end and it was the Russians, not the Americans who struck the final blow. You know this already so quit getting so stuck up.

Why the hell do people insist on starting these threads up, it's obvious that a few of the members can nt bare to hear a bad thing about America without taking offense. Not talking about all American members either, most accept these threads for what they are!
    Last edited by carl; 09-24-2003 at 06:23 PM.

Credits
    LOL.... this thread is such a harmless joke thread....

Credits
    Relax guys!!

We weren't bashing the States. I'm sure if you were to pick at random anybody walking down a street in any country and started asking them similar questions, I'm sure you'd get similar answers.

The Talking To Americans segment I brought up just related to the original post. We always say that we know more about the US than the Americans know about Canada. I think it goes back to the whole idea that Americans have this stereotype about us living in igloos, riding around on dog sled and there being 3 feet of snow on the ground as soon as you cross the border. The joke just plays up that stereotype. It's a form of humour called satire.

The sad thing is I'm sure if you gave a Canadian a history test on Canada and one of the US, they'd do better on the US one.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    I think that nobody said that people in the USA were all dumb and stupid; only ignorant.

Of course the USA can be useful, but have in mind that a big army, modern weapons and the power to kill a lot of people doesn't necessary means that you're intelligent, so the WW examples are no good ones. A society based in the violence and weapons doesn't makes it's individuals smart, just strong (and dangerous)

Credits
    i agree w/ chernabog_ca.... i would act stupid if someone came up t o me... just to be funny. i would guess it would be candid camera or something else. or maybe they will pay you to give a stupid answer!! lol... probably not but i bet that's what it is...
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    First of all, ZUBi, how could you not know this thread would put some people up in arms? Ugh. Secondly, anyone who's seen a show like Jay Leno's will know that he goes out and interviews the stupidest people possible on the street and puts together a hilarious clip segment full of the stupidest answers. Same thing here... I don't think this neccisarily represents the majority of Americans... just the majority of stupid ones. And finally, where's the street interviews from this Brit's hometown? Heh heh, yeah. If he interviewed people from his country, he'd be in the editing room cutting out all the stupid answers to make everyone there look all informed. I find this clip very funny but if someone was trying to seriously use it to represent how informed the average American is, it's insulting.
    Last edited by Shrubz; 09-24-2003 at 10:58 PM.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Red face

Originally posted by Mark Strube
    First of all, ZUBi, how could you not know this thread would put some people up in arms? Ugh
    HEH, 1 word: Americans

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits

Do I know what rhetorical means!?

The last 24 hours of posts have been interesting. I'm glad I finally decided to sign up and participate in these forums. I'm looking forward to getting more involved. You guys are great.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting: my observations thus far.

First, I've learned that trailergod has picked an appropriate name for himself. His name is as pretentious as he is. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind arrogant people (arrogance is one of my biggest faults), but being arrogant, in-your-face, and wrong is an annoying combination.
    trailergod said,
    LOL... its so funny how some of u guys reacted....LOL... where in this thread did we say anything againstUSA or BUSH ? ... can some one point it out to me..lol it seems some guys are too defensive about nothing.
    well, god, ZUBi STARTED this thread asking two rhetorical questions:
    Is This The Reason Bush Is Our President?

Is This The Reason The American People Supported The Illegal Invasion Of Iraq?
    Forgive me, people, but I need to explain what rhetorical questions are to trailergod. See, ZUBi's implied answer to those questions (given that they were accompanied by the stupid Americans clip) was that only stupid people would elect Bush or support the "illegal (sic!) Invasion of Iraq." See, trailergod, it is possible to communicate an idea without typing what you want to say explicitedly. ZUBi didn't have to say "Americans are so stupid that they elect stupid people who start stupid wars" to get his point across. To dumb it down even further for you, trailergod, it's kinda like using emoticons. I don't have to say I love to you someone if I sent them a smiley face with a bunch of hearts around it.

Just wanted to help you out, trailergod, so the playing field is a bit more level.

My apologies once again to everyone else for wasting your time with this English 101 lesson. I've done a lot of teaching over the years and I like to help people get beyond third grade logic.

Finally, I want to publically apologize to carl. He's right. The "we won two world wars" remark was a particularly shallow part of my post's argument. To simplify the WWs to that is foolish and not accurate. The rest of my argument, however, I think is on pretty solid grounds and therefore I think my point still stands.
    Last edited by enkydu; 09-25-2003 at 08:19 AM.
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits

Re: Do I know what rhetorical means!?

Originally posted by enkydu

First, I've learned that trailergod has picked an appropriate name for himself. His name is as pretentious as he is. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind arrogant people (arrogance is one of my biggest faults), but being arrogant, in-your-face, and wrong is an annoying combination.
    Erm you do realize that "Trailergod's" name is based on his title. A little joke based around the fact that he has no life.

trailergod said,

well, god, ZUBi STARTED this thread asking two rhetorical questions:

Forgive me, people, but I need to explain what rhetorical questions are to trailergod. See, ZUBi's implied answer to those questions (given that they were accompanied by the stupid Americans clip) was that only stupid people would elect Bush or support the "illegal (sic!) Invasion of Iraq." See, trailergod, it is possible to communicate an idea without typing what you want to say explicitedly. ZUBi didn't have to say "Americans are so stupid that they elect stupid people who start stupid wars" to get his point across. To dumb it down even further for you, trailergod, it's kinda like using emoticons. I don't have to say I love to you someone if I sent them a smiley face with a bunch of hearts around it.
    Just wanted to help you out, trailergod, so the playing field is a bit more level.
    Yes that was the thread, thank-you for explaining it too us. Now allow me to explain it for you, it was a <b>joke</b>
    <i>Pronunciation: 'jOk
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
    Date: 1670
    1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING (can't take a joke) c : PRACTICAL JOKE d : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter (consider his skiing a joke -- Harold Callender) -- often used in negative construction (it is no joke to be lost in the desert) </i>

You know, just like all of those jokes Americans tell about British people, don't try and deny it I watch the Simpsons, or any other non American country. We laugh at them, don't cry about how Americans are so hateful.
    Finally, I want to publically apologize to carl. He's right. The "we won two world wars" remark was a particularly shallow part of my post's argument. To simplify the WWs to that is foolish and not accurate. The rest of my argument, however, I think is on pretty solid grounds and therefore I think my point still stands.
    Which points. The points you made about saving the world from communism. It may not be in Russia, but there are still plenty of Communist countries, and they should be allowed to live that way.
    Or maybe it was the point you made about the rest of the world being unable to look after themselves without American protection. We don't want your damn protection, we will look after ourselves.

OK I officially don't like this guy, but the fact that he accused Tisoy of being arrogant just makes him laughable.

Credits

Joke, huh?

Carl said
    Or maybe it was the point you made about the rest of the world being unable to look after themselves without American protection. We don't want your damn protection, we will look after ourselves.
    If this thread's a joke, why aren't you laughing?

I'm sorry you don't like me, Carl. I guess I'm at a disadvantage because I didn't know the rules. Apparently, when Americans are critized we are supposed to laugh it off as a joke. But when anyone else is critized they can get all huffy and defensive.

Thanks for the lesson, Carl. Now I know how to act when posting.

Credits

Re: Joke, huh?

Originally posted by enkydu
    If this thread's a joke, why aren't you laughing?

I'm sorry you don't like me, Carl. I guess I'm at a disadvantage because I didn't know the rules. Apparently, when Americans are critized we are supposed to laugh it off as a joke. But when anyone else is critized they can get all huffy and defensive.

Thanks for the lesson, Carl. Now I know how to act when posting.
    What the hell are you talking about. Look at ZUBi's post. OK now see the little :big grin: , there's a few of them. Does that indicate a serious post. No, I thought not. I suspect that it was so obviously a joke that Mr. Magoo would be able to see it.

Look at your post where you come into the forum, getting all arrogant and insulting people you don't know. You want to joke around, then that is fine. If you'll read my post I said I actually watch The Simpsons. When that show, and others like Family Guy make fun of the British I laugh. When they make fun of Australians I know Stormwalker laughs. When shows make fun of the Germans Chris laughs. As for Slovenia, well the only people who've heard of Slovenia already live there so no one tells any jokes. :angel"

We actually laugh along with everyone else when it is a joke. Yet tell a joke about Americans and a large portion of them (I-E you) take deep offense about making fun of "Our hero's" and start insulting people for real. Look at some of the regular American posters here, then try and guess why we like them and not you. It's not too difficult to figure out. Unless of course you have your IQ!

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Lightbulb Re: Re: Joke, huh?

Originally posted by carl
    Look at ZUBi's post. OK now see the little :big grin: , there's a few of them. Does that indicate a serious post. No, I thought not. I suspect that it was so obviously a joke that Mr. Magoo would be able to see it.
    exactly carl, EXACTLY !

Credits
    Enkydu, I am glad you decided to grace the forum with your presence, along with your help I am sure that we will be able to uplift the masses of forumites that are still below that horrible third grade barrier. With your many years of teaching experience though it shocked me to see you use improper grammar and the inappropriate use of “sic”, where was your quote taken from? In my past experience the “sic” is used only when the reader is under the impression the quote is verbatim, and the publisher has altered the quote to improve grammar and spelling! If what your saying is true and you’re quoting someone that had trouble spelling words such as “illegal” and “invasion” then I suggest you take your third grade logic to that forum and help educate them.

While your at it you might want to navigate to the search button at the top of the forum, and do a brief history lesson on the life of the forum, then you might truly understand the nature of peoples posts. Or is that too difficult for you? (Oh yeah that was a rhetoric question, thought I would point that out as well… just for those struggling with the intricate nature of the English language.)

I know I don’t have perfect grammar or English skills so I fully expect you to attempt to rip apart my post and correct my many errors, feel free. However the point is, I don’t really need to use fancy sentences, complicated paragraphs and a thesaurus to make my point, it’s been made. In fact you made it for me… I wonder if you’re smart enough to work it out? (Damn another rhetoric!)

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast