Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Shine off Star Wars for Liam Neeson

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...11/223047.html

Sat, October 11, 2003

Shine off Star Wars for Liam Neeson

By BRUCE KIRKLAND, TORONTO SUN

LONDON, England -- The Star Wars franchise can no longer be taken seriously, according to one former Jedi master. "Ummm, well, they've kind of got silly now, haven't they?" actor Liam Neeson told The Toronto Sun yesterday while doing interviews for his latest film, the forthcoming ensemble romantic comedy Love Actually.

"That last (Star Wars movie) was just pyrotechnics, you know," Neeson said of Episode II -- Attack of The Clones, lamenting that the "computerized stuff" fails to connect with either the actors or audiences.

Neeson said he expects nothing different when Episode III, in which he is not involved, is released in 2005 to complete the prequel trilogy.

Yet Neeson has no regrets about his own participation in Star Wars lore, despite feeling that he did less than stellar work in 1999 in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace.

"The one I did, I loved working on it," he said, "and I loved working with George Lucas."

Neeson played Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi master knight who counsels Obi-Wan Kenobi and the young Anakin Skywalker.

"Admittedly," Neeson said with a wane smile, "we all come across as pretty wooden. But a lot of that was interacting with blue screen, which was difficult and was also a great challenge, you know, to try to make it seem as an everyday thing that (you're with) a winged beast that talks."

Blue screen is an in-studio process in which actors literally perform in front of a giant blue screen, replaced later with computerized special effects. "But listen," Neeson said, "I'm glad I did it."
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    I think George, blew it. I agree with Liam, the blue screen is a stupid idea and takes a lot away from the tone the was once Star Wars. And now even more then ever, George isn't even using real scenery. Foolish. And I DON'T even like Star Wars at that! But I know Blue screen is a stupid aproach.

"Black Mamba, I shoulda been motherfu*kin Black Mamba!" - Vernita Green

Credits
    Yeah...

remember the hype for Phantom Menace??

I used to be a HUGE fan of SW... but the prequel series ruined it for me.... i'm still TRYING my best to like them... but we gotta be honest eventually... they are worth watching... but disappointing additions to the once time-less series.

Credits
    I just treat them as different movies, Star Wars 4-6 (I still think of them as 1 - 3) The prequels are just poor Star Wars attempts that have some decent action but no real feeling.