Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Re-authoring VOB files on DVD

This is just a hunch, but since JPB once tossed around the idea to sell M-L Classics on DVD, that makes me believe that there's a way to re-author DVD rips say trailers from different DVDs, onto one single DVD.

So I wonder how it can be done? Does it involve a decompress-recompress process, or can you just easily import VOB files into a DVD-authoring software and burn a DVD?

The reason I ask is cos there're VOB trailers we've been sharing, which saves us some money esp if the DVDs are OOPs. Still I'd like to watch some on the TV screen.

Anyone wanna toss a two-cent?

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    its very easy, simply use the vob files, or de mux it using tmp into .m2v files and .ac3 files and use TMPGEnc DVD Author which has its own burning program, ( see the samples i made in the dvd forum using this program) or use a pro tool called DVD-lab (harder to use but more options) http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

just PM me if u need more help
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Originally posted by trailergod
    its very easy, simply use the vob files, or de mux it using tmp into .m2v files and .ac3 files and use TMPGEnc DVD Author which has its own burning program
    Thanks Chris. I pretty much know the rest once going thru the demux process. I just didn't know what to use to demux. And now I do.

TMPGEncoder Plus is much more than I expected. Unbeatable quality compression. Handy tools. And it's (practically) free. Only drawback is the time factor, but then CPU can only be faster. (Meanwhile Canopus DVStorm 2 costs 2 grands AU and gives shitty MPEG1 & 2 compression using either the hardware encoder or the software encoder.)

Credits
    Don't the trailers have some sort of copyright? Can you sell them freely that way?

EDIT: Check doom9.org, has some DVD authoring tutorials.
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    Originally posted by wireframe9
    Don't the trailers have some sort of copyright? Can you sell them freely that way?
    Says who I'm selling?

If you mean the M-L Classics idea (which didn't take off anyway), that's JPB's concern.

(And I know how to author DVDs. I just didn't know how to use a VOB source properly that's all, and now I know. )
    Last edited by editman; 10-15-2003 at 01:02 AM.

Credits
    It's illegal to sell someone else's trailers, which is why JP had to stop. I'm sure if they decided to put Mark and Guiboche's fan made trailers onto a DVD then they'd be allowed to sell them, but their biggest audience has already had them for free.

As for personal burning, the only illegal art of that is downloading Smartripper, transfering them to another dvd would be the same as making a playlist.

Credits

As for personal burning, the only illegal art of that is downloading Smartripper, transfering them to another dvd would be the same as making a playlist.

This is another constradictory issue. You're alowed to make backup of your discs, and consequently trailers so long as it's for personal viewing. Thus it can be argued that using SmartRipper isn't illegal. How could you back it up, as the law permits, if it's protected?

Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    I'm sure if they decided to put Mark and Guiboche's fan made trailers onto a DVD then they'd be allowed to sell them...
    it would be still illegal because the original right are still to the company who made the films. the only thing you can do with it is make them free. you can't even charge for the cost of themedium you put them on. those things like fantrailers or fanfilms are only tolerated by the movie industry.

Credits
    Originally posted by bender
    it would be still illegal because the original right are still to the company who made the films. the only thing you can do with it is make them free. you can't even charge for the cost of themedium you put them on. those things like fantrailers or fanfilms are only tolerated by the movie industry.
    Actually I think you could charge ONLY for the disc it's put on, not for the labor or time put into it. That would be legal since then you're only paying for the disc itself, not what's on the disc. Then again the copyright legality of making fan trailers is iffy anyways, but hey, more promotion for the movie so I'm sure the studio's won't complain as long as you don't make a profit off of it. Isn't money a wonderful thing?

Credits
    Originally posted by wireframe9

Thus it can be argued that using SmartRipper isn't illegal. [/B]
    The smart ripper site comes with a big warning that it's ilegal to even download the program. No mention of the things you would use it for.

Credits
    DVD Decrypter is better.