Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits

Solution 2 Stop Spamming

we all kno that we hate the times wen the forums are overly flooded with spam which kinda drags out most of the threads tht contain heavy spam in there...... i hav to think twice b4 i want to start reading what every1 is saying....whetha or not it is relevant or not to the topic...(yes a little bit here n there doesnt matter) but we all kno that sum people jus spam spam spam and nothing but spam...and more shockingly....Spam freely just to up there post count..... Yes...the Post count..the wonderfull merit kinda like system..... so i was thinking to myself.....

GIVE MORE POWER TO THE MODS
    how u ask me?? well i was thinking....everytime sum1 spams in a thread....the mod gives a warning...telin that person to shut it... if they continue to do so! the mods shud b able to decrease there post count by a 100 (if ur less den a 100....u go back to zero)

yes u myt think....the lower the post count..it would encourage spammers to post agen to get back there original post count....but if they obviously spam agen...they lose anotha 100...untill they learn there lesson.

im only sayin all this becuz i (sadly) had alot of time to think to myself...and was thinkin this solution to reducing spam. Cuz i kno we all dread it...

Agen..this is just a suggestion....i had to get it off my chest

(feel free to post what u feel u hav to say about this....if nething)

Credits
    I might implement a 'minimum' characters filter.
    This would keep people from replying with just 'cool' or 'i agree.'
    and make them actually post something of value.

Credits
    that would be hard for a certain spammer here

Credits
    i agree

mmm JP the filter is not working
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    How could a moderator decide, or more important how can I entrust him to decide, whether a post is spam or not?

I think it will be a nightmare to the Moderators. So computerized solutions will be more practical.

So besides JP suggestion, we need a necessary feature that disables double posting!

Also, I've been lately abused by someone starting a thread, and then each person replies to his thread, he replies back. It's as if he gives himself the right since he's the thread owner. So we can drive an equation that makes a person not able to post more than the average number of posts for all the persons in this thread. Cool, heh?
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Bazinet
    I might implement a 'minimum' characters filter.
    This would keep people from replying with just 'cool' or 'i agree.'
    and make them actually post something of value.
    yeah i actually like that idea, it would be less hassle free aswell....and doesnt have a chance of starting arguments, ohwell seems like we gona hav to write a bit of a review on the Hot or Not Threads....cant jus say hot! id like to see that filter take place as soon as possible..im really up for it

btw...to wireframe9.....if u dont hav nothin to spam wid....den u shouldnt realy worry bout the mods deciding wrongly so i doubt that nethin bad would eva happen from it....come on...u kno the mods ere....they aint enemies! they kno there stuff....im willing to leave it up to them...

Credits
    Originally posted by bender
    that would be hard for a certain spammer here
    You talking to me? You talking to me? Well I'm the only one here, so must be talking to me!

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    You talking to me? You talking to me? Well I'm the only one here, so must be talking to me!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not out to get you ..
    "It used to be said that we are what we eat... And then people maybe... a little more fashion conscious would say... 'No, you are what you wear'... Or you are what you read... But we would say in this millenium... You are what you watch..." Peter Gabriel - Growing Up

Credits
    I want to add something, the height of the signitures! Several have very big signitures, and it becomes tedious to scroll through them after a couple of times of seeing them.

Anyone feels close to that?

Credits
    Thats being currently looked into wireframe9.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Currently, there is a system in place where signatures are only shown once per page... So if someone posts more than once, their sig is only shown in the first post.

Credits
    Also, there's an informal rule of thumbs that the height of a sig pic should not be taller than 180 pixels.

aS!Dz, I kinda agree to the part of your suggestions that the MODs should have the rights to warn first before taking further actions.

I'm only concerned about the possibility of a MOD abusing of his inargurated power to shut a member up when s/he writes something not in favour of the particular MOD.

I think most of us Forumites here are really sick and tired of pointless replies and threads that has no real value. Mind you by 'value' it doesn't necessarily mean insightful opinions or exclusive news. Sometimes I think it's nice to drop a silly line and amuse everyone (we need a laugh here now and then). Sometimes we need Vitamin E for eye candy. Sometimes we need to know a bit about our online friends.

But certainly continuous posting with annoying stuff no one gives a damn, or finds it useful or interesting is not regarded as 'valuable'.

Usually when one is negelected or 'disliked' among peers s/he'll shut himself/herself up. Alas some people just never get the hint.

Well I make a good use of my Ignore List.

And just to make myself less annoying, I've reduced some crap in my sig. I'm happy to reduce the size of my sig pic if anyone requires - just PM me.

So I hope my two-cents worth a bit.
    Last edited by editman; 11-06-2003 at 07:41 AM.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    You saying I'm on your ignore list?

Credits
    Why does it bother u?? not like u can do nethin about it
    and he didnt even mention ur name...yet u coming running into it... how can u actually enjoy spammin da place?? all im tellin u is calm it down....ur not livining up da place wid spam thats for sure, jus take it easy.. try not to make urself feel that u have to and have to reply to every thread...

Credits
    I am not "spamming" because I enjoy it. I "spam" because I have a lot to say. And I can be suspicious because of 2 incidents with other forumites recently, who I won't mention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast