Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits

Top Ten Trilogies

These are in NO particular order (so no arguments about The Matrix Trilogy being above another in rank! Oh hell, I'll just make the damn thing in alphabetical order!! )

TOP TEN TRILOGIES

1) The Back to the Future Trilogy
    2) The Evil Dead Trilogy
    3) The Godfather Trilogy
    4) The Indiana Jones Trilogy
    5) The Jersey Trilogy (for those who don't know, this includes "Clerks", "Mallrats", and "Chasing Amy")
    6) The Matrix Trilogy
    7) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I know ROTK isn't out yet but c'mon it'll rule all)
    8) The Scream Trilogy (however, the third part was mucho weak, I still like David Arquette)
    9) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI)
    10) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes I-III) (I know the third episode isn't out, but I have had fun with the last two)
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    my TOP TEN TRILOGIES

1) The Godfather Trilogy
    2) Trois couleurs: Bleu/Rouge/Trzy kolory: Bialy http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0108394/
    3) The Back to the Future Trilogy
    4) The Indiana Jones Trilogy
    5) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    6) The Matrix Trilogy
    7) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI)
    8) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes I-III)

i only like these

anyway pls remember that TRILOGIES are NOT ordinary sequels, these movie need all 3 of them in order to have a greater picture of the story.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    I would argue that a top 10 list of Trilogys is imposible.... you would have to name all trilogyes ever made even the bad ones just to fill 10 spots...

Fed7haS
    She's just too pretty for Hollywood. I don't know, put her in a glass box and display her at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or something. - Jake on the topic of Scarlett Johansson.

Credits
    Originally posted by Dr.FrankNFurter
    I would argue that a top 10 list of Trilogys is imposible.... you would have to name all trilogyes ever made even the bad ones just to fill 10 spots...

Fed7haS
    Uh, bull****?

There's plenty of trilogies out there. I happen to have only seen the relatively new ones. I have not seen the Three Colors trilogy.

I do agree, trilogies need to have a larger story and not just two sequels, ergo, concordently, vis-a-vis - the "Scary Movie trilogy" can never count.

Credits
    Originally posted by WorkShed
    Uh, bull****?

There's plenty of trilogies out there. I happen to have only seen the relatively new ones. I have not seen the Three Colors trilogy.

I do agree, trilogies need to have a larger story and not just two sequels, ergo, concordently, vis-a-vis - the "Scary Movie trilogy" can never count.
    ok BS you say....

By my book a Trilogy is a complite storyline that has a start in the 1 movie and a end in the 3 its ok for eatch episode to have some kind of ending as long as it dosnet end the main plot....

Og with this out of the way lets take a look at the list WorkShed posted in the first post...

1) The Back to the Future Trilogy...................(TRILOGY)
    2) The Evil Dead Trilogy..................................(SEQOULS)
    3) The Godfather Trilogy.................................(TRILOGY)
    4) The Indiana Jones Trilogy..........................(SEQOULS)
    5) The Jersey Trilogy......................................(SEQOULS)
    6) The Matrix Trilogy.......................................(SEQOULS)
    7) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy......................(TRILOGY)
    8) The Scream Trilogy.....................................(SEQOULS)
    9) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI)......(SEQOULS)
    10) The Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes I-III)......(TRILOGY)

That gives us 4 Real Trilogys out of this 10 list....

Fed7haS

Credits
    i agree with franknfurter.
    to me a trilogy has to be written completely before they first movie started shooting and the two sequels need to be essential to the story.
    you could watch any of the scream or kevin smith movies without seeing the others and they'd still make sense, because they contain a finished story.
    take scream as an example, if the first one wouldn't have been that succesful, there probably wouldn't be a sequel, but noone would have missed it because there aren't any open ends in scream 1.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    Here are some of my favorites in no particular order

Star Wars 4-6
    Star Trek 2-4
    Back to the Future
    Star Wars 1-3 (probably)
    Harry Potter (probably)
    Matrix
    Indiana Jones
    Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

(and Dr.FrankNFurter, I understand your reasoning, but how can you call the original three Star Wars films as "sequals"? All three movies were more or less plotted out before the "A New Hope" was done, or if you believe Lucas, 9 movies were plotted out before "A New Hope" was done. For that, matter, I'm not sure about the Matrix, either. I think they intended that to be a trilogy from the start.)
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Not to start op an age old discustion again but starwars and Matrix was not ment as a trilogy....

The first starwars dident even have the extra titel A New Hope : Episode 4 untill The Empire Strikes Back was about to be Relesed.... then they ReRelesed StarWars with the Changed titel... Original it was only StarWars nothing more....

Here is a littel profe.... from IMDB

Star Wars (1977) Directed by George Lucas

Also Known As:
    Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1997) (USA: video box title)
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1981) (USA: reissue title (new title))

And belive it or not that BS about the 9 Movies is just rumors... befor making Episode 1 Lucas did tons of interwiuvs about how there never was 9 scripts.... and he prequels (episode 1, 2, 3) had to be written first.... and that that would be the last star wars movies....

As for the matrix.... Andy and Larry stated them self that the trilogy they had in mind was put into the original matrix... Kind of comprssed into 1 movie.... but when they got the chance to make Reloadet and Revalations they Wrote new scripts for those 2 movies...

Fed7haS

Credits
    You list the Back to the Future Trilogy as a trilogy and define a trilogy as being pre-planned as a whole.

HOWEVER, Back to the Future was only planned as a stand-alone film. Robert Zemeckis's films had not been doing too well before production. They had the flying car thing as a joke for the end of the film.

If you state "Why did it have "To Be Continued..." written at the end then if it wasn't all pre-planned?"

That title was added AFTER plans had been made for Parts II and III, when the original was released on home video.

Zemeckis has stated this multiple times himself and stated that if he had planned it as a trilogy he would not have sent Jennifer to the future or even allowed her to see the DeLorean at all. Hence the reason why Doc Brown knocks her out so early in the film and why Jennifer spends most of II and III in a near coma.

Not all trilogies are planned in advance. Very few are and most of the time, that is simply a rumor.

Credits
    Then you have to take "Back to the Future" out as a trilogy and count it as "sequels" because according to the Back to the Future DVD commentaries, the producers intended the first movie to be a stand alone film and never intended to make parts 2 or 3, but they couldn't resist the popularity of the first movie and they were able to get Fox and Lloyd back.

Personally, I count it as trilogy, whether it was originally intended to be a trilogy or not, the end result works that way. The same as Matrix and Star Wars.

Come to think of it, are you sure the Godfather was intended to be a trilogy?

Credits
    Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (alien 4 was ****)
    Lethal Weapon 1-4
    Die Hard 1-3

How you guys missed these (besides the fact that two of them aren't trilogies) is friggin incredible. In my opinion these 3 are the only movies besides Fight Club taht I could watch all the time and not get bored

Credits
    I know that Back To The Futore was not intended as a trilogy but that still dosent change the fact that it works great as one.... the ending left so mutch open space that it could be continued in a great way.... and that in my mind makes it count... same goes for the Godfather... im also not sure about this one but still they match sooo good that its east to belive that it was intendet....

As for starwars the first movie endet.... that should be clear to most ppl by now.... they left a small opening for a sequel with Darth Vader getting tossed into space in his Fighter.... but that was it... the badguys had gotten there *** kicked and the goodguys won... film over.... StarWars endet no difrent then a Friday the 13th movie where you se a glimse of Jason at the end and you know he is not quite dead same thing with Matrix.... the first movie was endet PERIOD!!!

Fed7haS

Credits
    Thanks, Jake, I completely forgot about the Lethal Weapon movies.

After thinking about it some more, I think I will also have to add the Mummy trilogy (my wife and I both consider "The Scorpion King" as "The Mummy Pt.3 as opposed to a stand alone movie) and the first three Batman movies (Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever) and perhaps the first three Superman movies.

Much lower on the scale I also like the three Major League movies. My wife would also throw in the Crocodile Dundee trilogy.

Credits
    If Empire Strikes Back and Reloaded are sequels, what would Scream 2 and Terminator 2 be?

Instead of arguing about top-of-the-notch triologies, I can safely say my best pop-corn triology is DIEHARD!
    It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.

Credits
    Originally posted by wireframe9
    If Empire Strikes Back and Reloaded are sequels, what would Scream 2 and Terminator 2 be?
    sequels
    the point is, that if star wars and the matrix wouldn't have been successful, there would have been no sequels for them, so they were made in a way that you can watch them without seeing the two sequels (made some time later), but they still make sense. a "real" trilogy needs to be watched completely to be understood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast