Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

My Kill Bill review

Release Date:October 10th, 2003
    Director:Quentin Tarantino
    Writer:Quentin Tarantino
    Starring:Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, Sonny Chiba, Vivica A. Fox, Daryl Hannah, Lucy Liu, LaTanya Richardson, Michael Jai White, Woo-ping Yuen, Samuel L. Jackson (cameo)
    Studio:Miramax
    Genre:Crime, Thriller
    Rated:18

All I ask is that you believe that I was expecting a solid 3 star film.

As I look back on my life I can find few films, if any, that have caused the same empty feeling of disappointment inside me as Quentin Tarantino's latest effort Kill Bill, and the strange thing is that I didn't exactly have high expectations to begin with. Even The Matrix Reloaded, which I had relatively high expectations for, lacked the sheer level of disappointment that Kill Bill provokes. It's a film I could easily imagine putting down as the most overrated, as well as most tedious film, that I have had the displeasure of seeing all year!

Kill Bill represents Tarantino's efforts at directing one of those clichéd 70's Kung Fu movies, it's not a spoof, an homage or any other term that would make it sound like he views these films in a bad light. He's a big fan of those type of films, and time and again he's stated that if you are looking for something to make fun of them then look elsewhere, but if you're looking for the latest 70's kung fu movie then Kill Bill is aiming to please you. However let us examine this genre than Tarantino is trying to infiltrate for a second, let us consider the difference between a good clichéd kung fu movie, and a bad clichéd kung fu movie. The difference, as would be expected, comes not from the direction, but from the stars themselves. It is, and always has been, the person playing the hero, or heroine, that makes a badly written exercise in choppy editing fun. Well then, let's move back to Kill Bill and examine how it stands up in this regard. I'm afraid that is a move which is destined to make you realize that, Uma Thurman isn't exactly Bruce Lee.

I mean, yes, she certainly spends a large portion of the film scowling, talking big, and generally trying to imitate the real daddies of revenge cinema, but she isn't even remotely convincing. The peak moment of her entire performance came towards the beginning of the story, which was also around halfway through the film itself, in a pathetic scene involving a close-up of her hideously large feet. Not only that though, she had no charisma either, no screen presence, not a single thing that would imbue this girl as the latest tough chick on the block. That award would have to go to Lucy Liu who is the lone wolf in a world of bad acting. Her on screen bitch from hell character was portrayed with Liu's usual, over the top sense of sadistic fun, and unlike Thurman she actually looks tough, mean, and stylish. Shame her role took the backstage to her many minions who were thrown into the film for the sake of being diced up by The Bride.

Yet I can already hear the cries from here, "What were you expecting. You had seen the trailer, you know Tarantino, so why did you go to the film expecting to dislike it?" Well let me clear that point up right now. I did not go into Kill Bill expecting to dislike it, I expected it to be a good film, just nothing in the range of a 4 or 5 star film. What I was expecting was what the trailer had led me to believe Kill Bill would be, a style over substance revenge thriller, with artistic cinematography and a killer soundtrack. What I was provided with was a slow, pointless film that was so devoid of artistic merit it was unbelievable. The cinematography that the trailer promised, and that I have come to expect from Tarantino's admittedly excellent eye, was sadly missing in all but one scene of the film. That single shot of Liu and her Cronies entering a club was the one and only camera shot that impressed me. The rest was the kind of typical, unimaginative camera work that you would expect to find from a poor, try hard film that's dieing to make a fan base for it's devoid style. Oh yeah, and that scene also happens to be one of the rare moments in the film, if not the only moment, where that classic tune used in the trailer is played out. The rest uses some of the cheesiest, terribly annoying 70's tunes available.

What though of the films infamous violence? I have heard a lot of differing reports ranging from, it's the most violent film ever made, to, it's too over the top to be offensive. With all of that information I was planning on avoiding Kill Bill based purely on it's violence. Then I read a review by a critic I respect who said that Kill Bill's violence was not gratuitous, but artistic, and it was this comment that piqued my interest. Let me tell you now that there is absolutely nothing artistic about the violence in Kill Bill. There's no grace, no style and nothing that was more difficult to achieve than pumping fake blood through a dummy. It is, I confess, to over the top to be taken seriously, which is exactly what makes it more offensive. You see, there are 2 forms of cinema violence, one is the kind of brutal, graphic and shocking violence that is designed to shock you, because violence is shocking. Then there 's the violence of film makers like Tarantino, (a form that has been taken to all new levels in Kill Bill) and that is designed and filmed by someone with an almost fetishistic eye for violence. It's not designed for anything except pleasing the directors desire to be more violent than the next guy, and gives Tarantino the ability to show everyone how cool his over the top decapitations can be. That, I am sorry to say, is not art, that is the kind of crap that has made anime movies like Fist Of The North Star and Ninja Scroll popular. I suspect Tarantino has seen both of those movies a few times, because Kill Bill has the same ridiculous violence, mixed with horrible editing and shallow story telling.

It's not all completely bad though. There are 3 points that work in Kill Bill's favour. There's Lucy Lui and that lone shot that I've already mentioned, plus there's a very stylish anime sequence that manages to be something that could be described as emotional. That one scene had everything that a revenge tale should, and even though the violence looks just as stupid as the rest of the film, the very fact that it's animated enables it to look more artistic. This one sequence was tense, dramatic and had me caring for it's main character who's parents were brutally murdered, and who was able to use the killers pedophilic nature to gain her revenge. Again, this character was the same one played by Lucy Liu, so I guess it could be claimed that Lucy was the lone float that prevents Kill Bill from sinking to the depths of Battle Field Earth, but she does. She single handed grants the film it's one star. The rest of the film (which has been filmed in typical Tarantino, non leaner manor, for no reasons beyond that's Tarantino's style and he will use it even when it works against the film) is just not worth the bother.
    1/5
    Last edited by carl; 11-14-2003 at 05:26 PM.

Credits
    It's Liu, but a fantastic review, carl. I'm right behind you.

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    It's Liu, but a fantastic review, carl. I'm right behind you.
    Woops, I posted this before I edited my review.

Still it's god to know that us Brits can be united against some things. Though I bet Asidz will try and usurp us.

Credits
    Well the things I've heard about Kill Bill hasn't been positive review wise. And if the forum member's bully you, if they do a Vader "what's his number" on you, that that's because they can't be bothered to make a decent argument. Heck, film vs. movie? It means the SAME GODDAMN THING!!! Here's hoping he stays outta this thread.

Credits
    Well the things I've heard about Kill Bill hasn't been positive review wise. And if the forum member's bully you, if they do a Vader "what's his number" on you, that that's because they can't be bothered to make a decent argument. Heck, film vs. movie? It means the SAME GODDAMN THING!!! Here's hoping he stays outta this thread.
    Film, movie, don't start that here. I'm doubting the thread will be popular. So few ML members read my reviews and all, but I don't want it being locked either. There is no reason to bring up an old argument, in a new thread.

Credits
    True. Leave it as it is. For the moron himself to start up again...
    Carl, I've read your reviews and you often have a lot a good opinons, even if I sometimes I don't agree with them, like, for instance, T3.

Credits
    To each his own

"Black Mamba, I shoulda been motherfu*kin Black Mamba!" - Vernita Green

Credits
    You know, you should ask JP to post these in the reviews section so they're easier to find, definately should do that

Credits
    How to put this... I see all your points, but i cannot agree with your opinions.
    All of the things that seemed to bother you about the film I loved and had no problem accepting. However, the fact that you weren't going to see it based on things you've heard about it being very violent, makes me question your critic's eye.
    Now I don't claim to be more cultured than anyone in the world of movies... as I've said to people before, my general movie knowledge starts around 1994 with some exceptions of course (just look at my DVD collection and you'll know what I mean). Nor do I have the background of seeing all the grindhouse cinema that this movie is based on... so I'm not looking to out-snob anyone, nor for anyone to out-snob me.
    Lets start here... Uma Thurman isn't Bruce Lee... even though she's dressed like him in part of it. Uma Thurman is the Bride, a new character, with an old movie task... get revenge on the SOB's that tried to kill her. I don't see how she's not convincing as a coldblooded assassin who's now extremely pissed off? Maybe you're just too used to seeing her in all her non-violent roles, and you already had the character set in your mind, so you couldn't accept this.
    Back to the violence... the point of it was to be so over-the-top that is was funny... as far as I'm concerned that is worlds less offensive than realistic violence in movies. There's nothing artistic about it, it wasn't intended to be, and if that was said by a reviewer you respect, again, it makes me question your critic's eye (nothing personal, just as far as my opinion is concerned).
    This movie is Tarantino's tribute to B-movies... so I don't see how you can criticise the film where you see elements from other movies in it... that's the point, to evoke these other films.
    It seems as though in some cases you might've missed the point of this film, or maybe you just had too many preconceptions before you walked in, (or maybe you were just being a grumpy gus ), but I must respectfully disagree with almost everything you've said here.
    The soundtrack is killer, and so is this film.

Well the things I've heard about Kill Bill hasn't been positive review wise.
    Have you seen the movie yet?
    Last edited by Shrubz; 11-18-2003 at 03:03 AM.

Credits
    I really liked it , it was fresh and different.

Credits
    Originally posted by Mark Strube
    How to put this... I see all your points, but i cannot agree with your opinions.
    All of the things that seemed to bother you about the film I loved and had no problem accepting. However, the fact that you weren't going to see it based on things you've heard about it being very violent, makes me question your critic's eye.
    Now I don't claim to be more cultured than anyone in the world of movies... as I've said to people before, my general movie knowledge starts around 1994 with some exceptions of course (just look at my DVD collection and you'll know what I mean). Nor do I have the background of seeing all the grindhouse cinema that this movie is based on... so I'm not looking to out-snob anyone, nor for anyone to out-snob me.
    Lets start here... Uma Thurman isn't Bruce Lee... even though she's dressed like him in part of it. Uma Thurman is the Bride, a new character, with an old movie task... get revenge on the SOB's that tried to kill her. I don't see how she's not convincing as a coldblooded assassin who's now extremely pissed off? Maybe you're just too used to seeing her in all her non-violent roles, and you already had the character set in your mind, so you couldn't accept this.
    Back to the violence... the point of it was to be so over-the-top that is was funny... as far as I'm concerned that is worlds less offensive than realistic violence in movies. There's nothing artistic about it, it wasn't intended to be, and if that was said by a reviewer you respect, again, it makes me question your critic's eye (nothing personal, just as far as my opinion is concerned).
    This movie is Tarantino's tribute to B-movies... so I don't see how you can criticise the film where you see elements from other movies in it... that's the point, to evoke these other films.
    It seems as though in some cases you might've missed the point of this film, or maybe you just had too many preconceptions before you walked in, (or maybe you were just being a grumpy gus ), but I must respectfully disagree with almost everything you've said here.
    The soundtrack is killer, and so is this film.

Have you seen the movie yet?
    You're questioning my critical eye? I hate expressions like that. Yes I don't like stupid violence. Why, because shocking violence the likes you get in movies like Skum portrays violence as something horrible. Does it shock, yes, and the only reason to be offended by it is because it is shocking and you'd rather live a sheltered life under the wing. Tarantino violence is the work of someone who puts violence in a more posotive light, he makes it look cool, funny and ultimately harmless. It's much more offensive to me, which, yes would be a valid reason for not liking the film, but I don't let violence only affect my overall score. I hated the violence in Wrong Turn, and will probably never see it again, but I still gave it a glowing review in other areas.

Kill Bill didn't, Thruman wasn't convincing as a cold blooded assasin because she came accross as a try hard, a girl who wanted to be like the other revenge seekers, but just wasn't tough enough o compete. I'm not really going to bother with the rest of this reply because the review is there, I have analyzed the film and stated my reasons for disliking it, and so I have proof that it wasn't a case of "I wanted to hate it, so I did" Plus I've already stated, in other forums, the fact that writing a review that I myself don't agree with would be the dumbest thing possible. I guess you're just one of those "I loved it, I don't need a reason to, but anyone who doesn't love it is lieing to themselves" kind of fans. No offense.

Credits
    Yep, grumpy gus.

Credits
    Yup, blind fanboy.

Credits
    Hehe, I actually have no objection to the term... I'm a big fan of the movie, and last time I checked, I was a boy. (Minus the blind part.) So to you!

Credits
    Originally posted by carl
    Still it's god to know that us Brits can be united against some things. Though I bet Asidz will try and usurp us.
    lolz i just read this today!! im a bit slow! but yes i loved this movie...gota admit..aint the best movie eva or nething...but was enjoyable simply cuz i was in da mood to see sum legs gettin chopped off and one pissed off lady! and the scene where uma thurman looks at her belly and starts crying..really really got me...almost made me cry aswell....and a movie hasnt done that to me for loooong!! and yes the movie made me numb..the movie made me feel stuff i hadnt done for a long tym or not feel nethin at all wid da numbness.lolz... and the scene wid the school gal chucking the metal round ball thingy really made me feel as if i was suffocating...really kept me at the edge of the seat....the soundtrack was "ORYT" in da movie, just the main track was good which gave me a bit of a chill up da spine....and i loved the scene wid lui wid that water tank thinky that just kept dropping...making the *tonk* *tonk* noises....and the refrences of the extreme close up shots on the eyes

Hatoree hanzo was da most wikedest actor in this film in my opinion...it just felt like he had soo much wisdom and felt like a person u know...and he was very deep....i just loved his character!!! This movie is nuffink different...its just fresh new action...and i guess thats what i was looking for...and i wasnt dissapointed...

i didnt really see the point of the extreme non linear narrative..i think the movie in that sense tried to make it more complex den it is...and failed to do so...but den agen maybe the tone of the film worked better like this.... i think i gave this movie a 3.8 out of 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast