Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Exclamation Bring back REAL action movies!!

Hi!

I'm getting the hang of this message-posting stuff! I wanna say that I think 2003 has been a poor year for action fans. There's been a lot of disappointment.

Really bad sequels - Charle's Angels 2, Fast and Furious 2, Bad Boys 2, etc

Ill thought out comeback movies - Freddy V Jason (in my opinion)

Ruined/savaged/badly translated comic book movies - Daredevil, Hulk, LXG

You know what I want to see?...... The real classic action movie!

Like a Die Hard 4, Eraser 2, True Lies 2 (yes, they're sequels, but excellent examples). That's why man, I miss Bruce Willlis in these roles - haven't you noticed everything he's done recently has stunk? He needs to go back to be John Mc Clane because IT'S what he does best: wisecracks, smirking, taking a beating AND giving one out! Bruce says he doesn't wanna "DO" John Mc Clane any more..... Well looking at your last 5 movies, the public have decided you can't act or "DO" anyone else!

So enough of my lecture, what kind of action movies do you wanna see comeback?

For me defintely a Die Hard 4 (this time international!), another The Rock type movie (Michael Bay still has the magic - forgive him for Bad Boys 2!), Eraser 2, True Lies 2 AND all future James Bond movies to be directled by EXPERIENCED action directors like Tony Scott, Ridley Scott, Simon West, John Woo (yes, John Woo!) and maybe Martin Campbell again (P.S. raise the sex and violence to a R, it would be better)

Last edited by water49; 11-21-2003 at 12:30 PM.

Credits
    Well, I mostly agree with you, although I liked Daredevil... and from what I've heard, it's a good comic book adaptation, dark, like it should've been.

Credits
    I think we've got more than our fair share of sequels.
    What we need is some original content!

We don't need the old John McLane. We don't need Eraser 2 or True Lies 2. (we won't get either one now anyways with the Governator in office).
    We need new and original storylines.

Okay... so there aren't that many Arnold-like actors out there, but surely there's someone out there that can rival Bruce Willis.
    Where's the new blood?

Credits
    Well, as I've stated before time and time again...I really hope that next April....we'll have a blast watching the new rendition of Punisher...simply for the fact that it's an actual "action" movie. All shot practical...and hopefully all that we've been missing from the great "action" movies of the past!

--Dan

Credits
    i agree with JP in that we need some new action heros. i really don't think the new punisher is going to be that good. first off, the guy playing frank castle is not really the "punisher" type. maybe the attitude and emotion will be there, but not the build and imo, that should be included for a comic book-->movie. comicbook heros are always larger than life. this guy just doesn't seem to fit the role.

as far as new blood coming in, we really need some new stars that can do the action flick. i think the Rock could be a good contender. he improved greatly from the Scorpion King into the Rundown. i'm not saying he is a great actor, but for an action flick, do you really need someone who can speak well..?? no, you need someone with a good build, good looking and charisma. the Rock has all three. no one else really comes to mind.

also, i thought the Hulk and LXG were excellent comic book to movie adaptions. daredevil could have been better without affleck and a better storyline.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    NO, it's true, I wanna see Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, some *** kicking, thrash talking, car blowing, rocket firing, hero in some movie with lots of explosions, and they better not even think about anything less.

There is still hope, THE PUNISHER, will hopefully be made by some people who know what they're doing and work out like an action movie not a comic book adaptation

Credits
    Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Bazinet
    Agreed. If they keep on doing sequels, they'll dig themselves into the Bond rut.
    We don't need the old John McLane. We don't need Eraser 2 or True Lies 2. (we won't get either one now anyways with the Governator in office).
    We need new and original storylines.
    Since when was action movies original and had storylines that anyone actually cared about?
    Okay... so there aren't that many Arnold-like actors out there, but surely there's someone out there that can rival Bruce Willis.
    Where's the new blood?
    The new blood is Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock.

Credits
    I hope for the punisher... because without a lot of hope it's gonna suck. As for *** kicking, trash talkin', car smashin' rockets blazin' movie with lots of explosions... WTF do you think Bad Boys 2 was? It was NOTHING except ridiculous action and witty one-liners... for 2.5 hours! Die Hard 4 has potential, but my hopes aren't particularly high, if only because Willis has said he wants to tone it down. I haven't seen Freddy vs. Jason, but I've heard nothing but good things, and it seems they're making a sequel with Ash, so no matter how bad it was, the fact that it's giving life to a Bruce Campbell schlock horror film more than redeems it. The Rock is the new blood for action movies, maybe with Vin Diesel if he gets back to work doing good actioners. John Woo's turned into a pussy... he's mostly only doing PG-13 stuff now, which really sucks quite frankly.

Simon West is not a good action director. Michael Bay is, for all his faults(namely a penchant for being a little melodramatic), a really good action director when he just pulls out the stops and lets the action go batshit crazy. Look at the first 10 minutes of Armageddon, or ANY of the Car Chases he's done. He's good. So is Gore Verbinski, but he hasn't done a real actioner... yet. So we'll see.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Originally posted by blugh
    John Woo's turned into a pussy... he's mostly only doing PG-13 stuff now, which really sucks quite frankly.
    What the hell do have against PG-13 films exactly? If Mr. Woo wants to make more teenager friendly films, then let him do it. As I for one don't care, and seeing as he is still making films, I think that's good because Woo can't kick the Wachowski Brothers arse anyday. Yes, anyday.

Credits
    I can hardly find any PG-13 movies that I really liked...
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits
    What about Ocean's Eleven? That was PG-13.

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    What the hell do have against PG-13 films exactly? If Mr. Woo wants to make more teenager friendly films, then let him do it. As I for one don't care, and seeing as he is still making films, I think that's good because Woo can't kick the Wachowski Brothers arse anyday. Yes, anyday.
    It's just a thing people have. An action movie has to be bloody to be good, that's one of the praises most people give Bad Boys 2. Don't see it myself, I don't mind violence, but if I'm watching an action movie then I want action. Same with horror, I want suspense and I'll take a PG13 rated film with a creepy atmosphere, rather than an R rated horror where gore is the main priority. Guess it's just a case of a few teenagers in Movie List, either that or people who never lost that teenage bloodlust.

Credits
    Bad Boys 2 was just bad but Michael Bay is one of my favorite directors

And John Woo is filming **** in the past few years. My favorite John Woo movie made wrong is broken arrow, in the movie (which is a GREAT concept) there are at least 5 exploding helicopter and teh movie is soo friggin predictable after 10 minutes

Credits
    Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Bazinet
    What we need is some original content
    I agree COMPLETELY. I am getting so sick and tired of these half-*** remakes, comics to films, and crappy sequels. There hasn't been an original, modern-day, over-the-top action movie since "XXX", and that was a stinker.

Credits

Talking Wow! Look what I've started! And is it me, but....

weren't the 80's action movies and movies in general much more fun? I honestly think that the movie executives and heads of studios since 2000/1 onwards are all pussies, I mean no wants to experiment or be original and possibly make flop movies - yet we still get trash like Gigli!

So they only want to green light yet more sequels and comic book movies and TV shows-to-movies!

Man, in the eighties ANYTHING could get green lighted! You had the most original, zany (80s word!) and crazy ideas getting approved. It was like -

Pitch: "hey, what about a car that goes back in time AND it's a Delorean!"

Exec: "go ahead!"

Pitch: "three white guys and a black guy fight ghosts in New York! Erm....it needs a lot of new special effects, so it's gonna be expensive!"

Exec: "why not?"

Pitch: "a computer nerd falls in love with a girl but so does his computer!"

Exec: "let me think..."

Pitch: "and you get a great soundtrack!"

Exec: "sold!"

Tell me you agree with me...... :angel"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast