Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Peter Jackson Would Seriously Consider 'The Hobbit'

I hope he does decide to make this!! Here's a link to the article in the Sydney Morning Herald:
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...122263213.html

from Coming Soon:
    The Sydney Morning Herald has published a great article talking about how Peter Jackson and The Lord of the Rings production have worked over the last few years. In the article, director Peter Jackson addresses rumors that he was not interested in making The Hobbit as well...

What's next for Jackson? He says he has six or seven ideas for movies, "all of them small." But he denies rumours that he has refused to direct The Hobbit, the first Tolkien Middle-earth book, which served as a prologue to The Lord of the Rings.

"Part of me would love to have somebody else make The Hobbit, so I could watch it as an audience member," Jackson says. "On the other hand, it would feel odd.

"Nobody has asked me to do it, but if they did, I would give it serious consideration."

Visit the link above to read up on how the production works on the last film these days.

Credits
    Hope they make 'The Hobbit', and then 'The Silmarillion'. I'm little angry at P. J. for some of the changes he made in the 'The Two Towers' compared to the book, but still I think he is the right man for those movies.

Credits
    I heard that they were gona make it.

It wouldent be to hard ither, and people would still be interested to see it.... like me!

Credits
    I just finished reading the book about 2 weeks ago (I'm now 1/3 of the way through FOTR). I think it would be a great if they could get it done but it's got to have Ian Holm as Bilbo and Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits

Thumbs up

I have my fingers crossed ... hopefully Jackson is just plain destined to do a Hobbit movie! It would make a great quasi-prequel to the Lord of the Rings and surely NewLine would grab a big fat wad of cash considering the huge success of the trilogy to this point! And yeah, it would be a tragedy to have anyone but Holmes and McKellan play Bilbo and Gandalf!
    :big grin:
    "It used to be said that we are what we eat... And then people maybe... a little more fashion conscious would say... 'No, you are what you wear'... Or you are what you read... But we would say in this millenium... You are what you watch..." Peter Gabriel - Growing Up

Credits
    I think we should bare in mind that Bilbo is much younger in The Hobbit. I've just started to read it so I don't know if he ages a lot, but surely Ian Holms is to old to be playing someone who's only 50.

Credits
    Originally posted by moviebuff
    I think we should bare in mind that Bilbo is much younger in The Hobbit. I've just started to read it so I don't know if he ages a lot, but surely Ian Holms is to old to be playing someone who's only 50.
    Yes but they did use make-up to make him like that young during the prologue that opens FOTR. The scene where he finds the ring is from The Hobbit.

Credits
    I've always felt that The Hobbit is in a completely different class of story from LotR. It was written for children. Heck, orcs are called goblins.

But if the movie was made, it should definitely have the same actors and directors. I can't think of a single good movie sequel or prequel that had different actors.

It is too bad about Holm being so old though. Bilbo really was a lot younger in The Hobbit.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    but seriously I want Peter Jackson to make more movies not anymore related to middle earth. I want him to make movies that have other subject matters and see how he does it, I am sure it will be good =)
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Jackson to do Hobbit... maybe

THE HOBBIT looking more and more likely
    Director Peter Jackson finally acknowledges he wants to make the movie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dateline: Monday, December 1, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
    By: News Editor
    Source: News Interactive, Sci Fi Wire

What a difference five years and three movies can make.

Before director Peter Jackson began filming his LORD OF THE RINGS movies in earnest, he was asked what the likelihood would be of also making a live-action adaptation of THE HOBBIT, J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to the trilogy. At the time Jackson wasn't interested, instead preferring that if a film were to be made of THE HOBBIT it would be better suited for someone else to make.

Now it seems that Jackson has started to warm up to the idea. Speaking with News Interactive (and reported via Sci Fi Wire), Jackson has officially gone on the record and said that he wants to do the movie. "Certainly if they want to talk to me about it, I'd be keen. It would be wonderful to complete the set of films," the director told the news service.

Nevertheless, before Jackson could begin work on THE HOBBIT he's now committed to make the remake of KING KONG for Universal Pictures. That film is gearing up for photography next year, with a 2005 release targeted. If a deal is struck for Jackson to make THE HOBBIT it will be at least three years in our future, if not four or five.

Credits
    I still liked Ian McKellens idea to make it into a weekly television show for a year....doing one chapter a week.

That could be perfect, considering there is really no super bad violence and stuff. The book was written for a younger generation
    Gypsy

Credits
    Originally posted by impetigo
    THE HOBBIT looking more and more likely
    Director Peter Jackson finally acknowledges he wants to make the movie

"Certainly if they want to talk to me about it, I'd be keen. It would be wonderful to complete the set of films," the director told the news service.
    Here's hoping .. I'd really, really like to see Jackson do The Hobbit!

Credits
    Whoa, for a second I thought Michael Jackson was going to be involved with the hobbit... Thank god it's Peter...
    "In case I don't see you--good afternoon, good evening and good night." -The Truman Show

Credits

New article on Jackson and the Hobbit

'Rings' Director Wants to Bring 'Hobbit' to Screen
    Mon Dec 8, 3:18 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Emma Thomasson

BERLIN (Reuters) - New Zealand film director Peter Jackson (news), tipped to win an Oscar for his "The Lord of the Rings" epic, said Monday he would like to make "The Hobbit" prequel to the trilogy and work with some of the same actors again.

Speaking to journalists in Berlin ahead of the European premiere of the last part of the "Rings" trilogy -- "The Return of the King" -- Jackson said he was sad but also relieved that the mammoth project he has worked on for seven years was over.

"I'm glad there's not a fourth Lord of the Rings film next year," he said. "I feel very tired and exhausted."

"I've been working very hard this year. It was the hardest year of the whole seven really," he said, adding that the last part had twice as many computer-generated shots as the second, "The Two Towers," which won an Oscar for digital effects.

"It's my favorite because it has a stronger emotional depth than the other two films, it has a sense of closure," he said.

Despite his exhaustion, Jackson is not resting on his laurels and said if complex rights issues can be resolved he would like to direct "The Hobbit," J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to the "Rings" trilogy set some 50 years earlier.

"I'd be interested in doing it because I think it would give continuity to the overall chapter," he said.

While many of the lead "Rings" characters do not appear in "The Hobbit" story, the wizard Gandalf, played by Ian McKellen (news), and Gollum, the cave dweller corrupted by the powerful ring, do and should make a comeback. Arwen, the elf princess played by Liv Tyler (news), could also feature again, Jackson said.

Jackson made movie history by filming all three parts of the "Rings" trilogy simultaneously. The first two films have earned a combined $1.8 billion and won a total of six Oscars (news - web sites).

Barrie Osborne, the producer of the trilogy, and Philippa Boyens, the writer, both said they hoped for more Oscars for the third installment, especially one for Jackson's directing.

"The film is a memorable film that will stand the test of time and be around forever and ever. However winning depends on what's happening in the world, what other films are out there that you're competing with," Osborne said.

Boyens added: "Peter didn't make these films to win an Oscar...It's always been really hard for fantasy films or films perceived as fantasy to get that kind of acknowledgement."

Jackson, 42, has certainly not let fame go to his head. He met journalists in an upmarket Berlin hotel barefoot and wearing a faded shirt and threadbare shorts. While he said "Rings" was the hardest thing he would ever do, more challenges await.

"I just love making movies. I have done since I was seven years old," he said.

Jackson will take a few weeks off over Christmas and then start writing the script for his next project, a remake of the classic "King Kong" which, like the "Rings," he will also film in New Zealand, using the same team of special effects experts.

Richard Taylor, whose special effects workshop made 48,000 props for the trilogy and whose work earned two Oscars, says "King Kong" will be even better than Lord of the Rings.

"I have every aspiration to make King Kong much cooler," he said. "It's going to be a very beautiful film."

Credits
    This would be great news, especially since the whole Hobbit world was so well done with real focus on the emotional strory not just the action with the ring