Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Exclamation What happened to "Casshern"?

Some months ago, the net was abuzz with news and a very slick trailer for a japanese sci-fi flick, "Casshern", and i also read on the net that it was a huge blockbuster in japan, but what about it's american release, has it yet been released on any dvd with english subs, does anyone know anything about it? :big grin:

Credits
    I Read somewhere on the internet (unfortunatly forgot where) that the Producers are talking with a *big* American company to distribute the movie here (in cinema or dvd i dont know), but i also heared rumours of a possible american remake (bad bad bad).

That all i know.

Regards

Credits
    I know neo-anderson reported here that Casshern was released on Japanese DVD earlier this month...but it looks like it's going to have it's day in US theaters as well. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Dreamworks has picked up the US distribution rights to the film. (see report)

This is so cool. :big grin:

Has anyone gotten a hold of the DVD and seen it yet?

p.s. to see the trailer see the original Casshern thread here
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    Strange that folks are so interested about this movie, saw it a couple months ago at Rakkautta&Anarkiaa-film festival here in Finland. AWFUL AWFUL movie with a stupid plot, good looking visually but horrible visual storytelling. Simply a dumb confusing boring movie, don't get too excited.

Credits
    Wow...talk about taking the wind out of my sails..

Thanks for the report, Jack. I'll bump it off my must-see list and put it on a DVD or possibly budget theater list.

Credits
    for the sake of passing on information to whomever may want it

The following is from Dreamwork's 2005 Animation slate. (click link to see information on DW's other releases: "Madagascar" or "Wallace and Gromit":
    http://www.moviecitynews.com/Notepad...eamworks2.html
    CASSHERN

Acclaimed Japanese music video director Kazuaki Kiriya made his feature film directorial debut with "Casshern," which he also wrote.

It is late in the 21st century. After 50 years of devastating war between Europa and the Eastern Federation, the latter has emerged victorious, and the new federation of Eurasia is formed. There can be no glorious peace, however, as the planet has been ravaged by chemical, biological and even nuclear weapons and the entire human race is dispirited and exhausted by half a century of war. A geneticist named Azuma brings hope in the form of a "neo-cell," which can rejuvenate human parts with no risk of rejection. But nature interferes with science to create a new kind of menace that forces the entire human race to fight an ultimate war against its own extinction.

An action-packed sci-fi thriller, Kazuaki Kiriya's "Casshern" opened to rave reviews in Japan and became an immediate hit. It has since gained an international cult following, including in the United States.

The film blends Japanimation and manga-inspired live action resulting a new kind of hybrid filmmaking that is both visually stunning and thought-provoking. The human cast propels the action against a backdrop of CGI, special effects, and a wide range of animation techniques, from state of the art to simple stop-motion animation.

DOMESTIC RELEASE: 2005 via Go Fish
    Credits are not final and date is subject to change.
    Jack, I assume you're not part of that growing "cult following"
    Last edited by enkydu; 12-09-2004 at 02:48 PM.