Apparently Fox is now paying veteran Simpsons writers to develop the long-awaited Simpsons movie.

From Mike Reiss: "My partner, Al Jean and I and five other veteran writers of the show are currently writing “The Simpsons” movie. They’ve wanted to do this since season two. It’s been 13 years of wanting to do “The Simpsons” Movie. Finally FOX said, “Let’s just do it!”

We never had the greatest idea that was compelling but FOX said, “Maybe if we start paying you, you’ll get inspired.” And sure enough it worked! We’ve got a very good and interesting idea and it’s different from the show. You know, it’s like the “South Park” movie where it’s just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show. I can’t tell you anything specific about it. My wife doesn’t even know the secret.

[The movie will come out] two years from this summer. I think it’s going to be Summer 2006 or maybe Christmas 2006. It’s a reality after being just sort of this phantom idea. I think it is really gonna happen."

See the whole story here

I'm kinda excited, but a little nervous. Personally, I liked the idea of Fox producing 6-minute Simpsons shorts to show before Fox movies. That idea was kicked around a couple years ago but has since died.

Do you think a Simpsons movie would work?